1 2
b13990
b13990 Reader
10/8/19 8:26 p.m.

One thing I've seen inspire great disagreement between otherwise-compatible people is Astrology. It seems to ring true to many people, while just as many people see it as ridiculous and avoid anyone or anything that puts any stock in it. For every "Amazing Randi" busily debunking things, there's a Nancy Reagan consulting star charts in the bathroom at Reykjavik.

It occurred to me recently that automobile racing is perhaps the ultimate test of this sort of thing. Maybe the USSR was a paper tiger and the Reagans took it down in spite of themselves... but how would Nancy Reagan fare behind the wheel of a race car?

So I ask this forum, have you ever applied Astrology to the problems of motorsport? Adjusted your dial-in to compensate for Mercury in retrograde perhaps? Turned down a co-driver because he was a Pisces?

Would you describe your drag racing style as more Jeane Dixon than Larry Dixon?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/8/19 8:27 p.m.

This feels...canoe-y.

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/8/19 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

You mean like I'm trying to sell something?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/8/19 9:09 p.m.

...Maaaaaybeee?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/19 9:33 p.m.

I'm not sure what I just read.

Is there drugs involved with this line of thought? I kinda feel like in order to really discuss this, you'd need to share your stash with the whole class so everyone is on the same plane of existence

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/8/19 10:13 p.m.

The canoe salesman are taking some strange approaches these days.  They seem to try and get there post counts up to create some legitimacy.  

What is the goal? Are they selling something? Maybe, maybe not.  We cannot discount the possibility that there are “players” in the world that want to create discord, specifically in the US.  This of course seems like a super weak attempt, especially on this board (of course it even stated it was trying to create an argument).

So, should we say privet, or maybe yeoboseyo, or perhaps neih hou, or even 01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100001

You rarely know who anyone really is on the internet, best to always keep that in mind.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/19 10:22 p.m.

I don't think this is a canoe.

Op - it's worth a shot since the things I've tried don't seem to win!!! Haha.

Certainly interesting is the fact that racing takes both builders (probably not likely to believe in astrology) and drivers (of all Motorsports participants, probably most likely to believe in astrology). There is definitely a yin and yang there. Very few people are good at both.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/9/19 7:41 a.m.

I will admit that I've contemplated a gag label for a switch on the Dart - an adjustment dial labeled "Moon". Setting it to a crescent would dial down the boost. Setting it to full would open up an exhaust cutout, arm the two step rev limiter, and turn the boost up as far as it will go. But of course, since you can set the car to full moon whenever you want, that's not really astrology. More like lycanthropy.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
10/9/19 8:37 a.m.

I wonder if threads could be cut into an amethyst sphere to use as a shift knob?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/9/19 8:58 a.m.
Antihero said:

Is there drugs involved with this line of thought? I kinda feel like in order to really discuss this, you'd need to share your stash with the whole class so everyone is on the same plane of existence

So, he's seeking a history of IMSA in the 70's and 80's?  AKA, the International Marijuana Smugglers Association?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 8:59 a.m.

I'm in the "it's a bunch of silly nonsense" camp. Case in point:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/9/19 9:21 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Oooooh.  I guess he didn't see that coming.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 9:44 a.m.

Can you name them all?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/9/19 10:42 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

No but that first one looks a lot like the 1985 Plymouth Reliant SE that my long-ago GF owned.  Same color even.  Her's had a column shift and front bench seat.  I have some very fond memories of that car, but I cannot reveal them.

But given the context, I bet it's an Aries. laugh

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/9/19 10:47 a.m.

I don't know about astrology in auto racing but superstitions were or maybe are real.

No green cars,  number 13,  something about peanuts  etc.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/9/19 1:24 p.m.

Like Wicca, Christianity or about everything else; if you believe you believe and you can justify ANY thing good or bad that happens in your life.

if it works for you ....

I'm not converting.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
10/9/19 2:38 p.m.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/9/19 2:45 p.m.

I don't believe in any of that stuff, but I try not to be a jerk about it to the people who do believe in it. If they wanna believe it, so be it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/9/19 3:00 p.m.
iceracer said:

I don't know about astrology in auto racing but superstitions were or maybe are real.

No green cars,  number 13,  something about peanuts  etc.

Im running a green 13 car....

Inly day i play the lottery is friday the 13th....

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/19 3:05 p.m.

If the moon causes an exceptionally high tide that floods the track, the celestial bodies might then have something to do with racing.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/9/19 3:26 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Oooooh.  I guess he didn't see that coming.

<slowclap>

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/9/19 4:06 p.m.

My mother-in -law’s Dodge pickup is an aries.

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/9/19 10:19 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

This is what I was looking for. I'd thank you, but my guru told me to quit being such a doormat.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/19 3:12 a.m.
Apexcarver said:
Antihero said:

So, he's seeking a history of IMSA in the 70's and 80's?  AKA, the International Marijuana Smugglers Association?

Maybe? Confusing thread is confusing even if Mercury isn't in retrograde

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/19 5:28 a.m.
Antihero said:
Apexcarver said:
Antihero said:

Maybe? Confusing thread is confusing even if Mercury isn't in retrograde

Maybe what the OP is truly searching for is an Interstellar Sledgehammer?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3TU4eXrsL2WOwFBuIs75Xl0Z7TooCAOnDt8yyZZVxqv5dclCTwakfxiO6WX3Tt6I