1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 3:02 p.m.

Article explaining everything that happened with videos and all. Short version is an armed Russian Su-24 violated Turkey's airspace and wouldn't leave or respond, so 2 F-16's shot it down. Hopefully that doesn't spark WW3...

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/24/15 3:09 p.m.

Well if the article is correct, Turkey shooting down Russian planes is nothing new. So no WW3.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 3:11 p.m.
RossD wrote: Well if the article is correct, Turkey shooting down Russian planes is nothing new. So no WW3.

Two planes ago was Syrian, last plane was a drone. An actual, armed, attack jet is a whole different ball game.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
11/24/15 3:13 p.m.

Putin likes to take risks. He just found a neighbor not willing to take his E36 M3.

Too bad it looks like the pilots were captured and probably killed by Syrian rebels. But again, Putin has been bombing these rebels instead of ISIS, so it's no surprise.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/24/15 3:15 p.m.

East vs west vs Jihadists. Could be interesting.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
11/24/15 3:18 p.m.

The Russians keep attacking groups that oppose Assad and not ISIS. One of those groups are ethnic Turks so Turkey gets pissed when someone bombs them and then flies over Turkish territory to do it. They warned the pilots like 10 times to stop overflying Turkish territory and they didn't. It's a wonder they waited this long to make their point to the Russians.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/24/15 3:20 p.m.

Nice to see that American hardware beats Soviet era hardware yet again.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/15 3:40 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

Well Turkey really picked a hell of a time to make their point, just as it looked like there might be an opportunity to get Russia on the same page over this whole Syria cluster berkeley.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/24/15 3:44 p.m.

I saw the video of the plane. It was toast

That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/15 3:46 p.m.

I have been spending a lot of time in Turkey lately working on launching a new plant for my company - "a lot of time" as in I'm there for two weeks, home for one week, repeat....

The people I've met there have been exceptionally friendly and the food is phenomenal. Although it certainly feels different than home, it is (at least where I've been, about halfway between Istanbul and Ankara) actually quite western and I have never once felt unsafe.

I was over there the week after the ISIL attack in Ankara and last week during the Paris attacks, neither of which phased me at all - other than having to deal with extra airport security on my way home.

But this business is really freaking me out for my next trip on Monday. Terrorist attacks can happen anywhere, but the potential of an escalation between these two egos is a whole different ball game.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/24/15 3:47 p.m.
Brian wrote: East vs west vs Jihadists. Could be interesting.

East vs West vs Jihadist vs Rebels vs Loyalists vs Religious Moderates.... argh.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/24/15 3:50 p.m.
Javelin wrote: ...Russian Su-24..

Looks a lot like a Mig23 but I guess su24s are very similar looking.

Mig 23

Su24:

Sort of the Russian version of the F111 Ardvard (F... yeah right!)

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/24/15 3:58 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

They look alike, difference is the Sukhoi is larger, another engine, and another crew member.

Ahh, damn your ninja edit.....

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/24/15 4:03 p.m.

In reply to That_Renault_Guy:

Of all the places my father had visited in the navy, Turkey would be his top pick to ex pat too.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/24/15 4:06 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to aircooled: They look alike, difference is the Sukhoi is larger, another engine, and another crew member. Ahh, damn your ninja edit.....

Sorry, yeah I noticed the "25" to late. I was thinking 24.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
11/24/15 4:12 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to jimbbski: Well Turkey really picked a hell of a time to make their point, just as it looked like there might be an opportunity to get Russia on the same page over this whole Syria cluster berkeley.

Really? Russia has it's own agenda and will do in Syria what it thinks best for it's political goals and not NATO's. I would trust Putin as far as I can throw a Humvee!

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/24/15 4:17 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

By the time my post added, you added pictures correcting yourself.....lol

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/24/15 4:56 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Brian wrote: East vs west vs Jihadists. Could be interesting.
East vs West vs Jihadist vs Rebels vs Loyalists vs Religious Moderates.... argh.

Let me rephrase, classic Cold War east vs west with total chaos in the Middle East added to the mix.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
11/24/15 5:01 p.m.

Update I saw said one pilot reported dead (ironically, by ISIS sources on the ground) and the other likely either dead or captured and soon to be dead/tortured. Unlikely to improve the situation.

Non-Ninja edit: Now reports are saying "Syrian rebels". Sounds like it's not ISIS, but rather a rebel group that are ethnic Turks. Also indicates they may have destroyed a Russian rescue helicopter and killed a crewman on the chopper as well. Not good.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
11/24/15 5:14 p.m.

Fencers have been doing a pretty good job falling out of the sky on their own lately without Turkish assistance.

http://www.ibtimes.com/russia-grounds-entire-su-24-fleet-fighter-jets-after-deadly-crash-near-sea-japan-1996897

But then they do seem like they still have the ability to be entertaining, at least to their pilots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x20_AeoTOnY

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
11/24/15 5:59 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/24/15 7:46 p.m.
Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
11/24/15 8:06 p.m.
That_Renault_Guy wrote: The people I've met there have been exceptionally friendly and the food is phenomenal.

Did the food there make you sleepy? I've always wondered about that.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/24/15 9:01 p.m.

Why is anyone surprised by this?

Aircraft penetrates foreign airspace.

Aircraft fails to respond to identification requests.

Aircraft fails to vacate airspace upon request.

Aircraft gets a missle shoved up its afterburner.

We would do exactly the same thing.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/24/15 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

But we are the USA, they are RUSSIA, and they were shot down by "turkey". No matter what the official rules say, its always kindof a might makes right! situation.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5LK7LM4qXyRowjGeBhueXxMkbkk0FLG9eeNtkVX2bP76PUIvLQNqBXG0pKJmJDcN