1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/25/15 12:51 a.m.

Just got in from seeing Rush--like, the band, not the movie. Pretty darn awesome.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/25/15 1:13 a.m.

You suck!

Isn't this their 40th anniversary tour? Tried to get SWMBO to hook me up with tickets for my B-day. Didn't happen. They were the first band I paid my own $ to see and I'd really like to see them again, because I doubt they'll be touring much longer.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/25/15 1:24 a.m.

Yep, 40th anniversary tour. Songs ranged from the first album to the newest one. Plus Geddy and Alex brought like all of their guitars with them.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/15 6:44 a.m.

That would be a fun one, but Greensboro NC (4+ hours) is farther than I'm going to drive for a concert.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
5/25/15 11:40 a.m.

I saw those guys in Sacramento

Not this concert, a few years earlier, 1986, amazing the sound that comes out of 3 guys Rush at Cal Expo Amphitheater 1990

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/25/15 1:11 p.m.

How is Geddy's voice holding up? I saw some recent concert footage not too long ago and it seemed he was having trouble with the high parts. I last saw them in the late 80's. What a great band to see live - they put on a great show.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
5/25/15 2:14 p.m.

Rush is one band I wouldn't mind seeing in concert.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
5/25/15 2:54 p.m.
CLH wrote: How is Geddy's voice holding up? I saw some recent concert footage not too long ago and it seemed he was having trouble with the high parts. I last saw them in the late 80's. What a great band to see live - they put on a great show.

He's holding up rather poorly. I've seen their past few tours and each one he gets worse and one of my friends saw them this tour and he said his voice is pretty much gone. The R30 tour was the last one where his voice was mostly good IMO, obviously not like it was way back in the day but it still sounded good. Snakes and Arrows it was a bit choppy after that tour you just are there to enjoy the instrumentals lol. He sounds normal on the lows but anything higher than that he sounds really odd like he can't control his voice.

Since they are playing the really oldschool stuff this tour I bet it will really show.

You have to give them credit though they have a lot of energy for a band of that age, certainly more than like The Who did at the same age back when I saw them. It's still a very fun act to see because of it.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
5/25/15 3:04 p.m.

I'd imagine "Freewill" (especially the bridge after the solo) is the realm of a younger singer. That simply can't be done on a worn-out voice.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/15 3:22 p.m.

In reply to CLH:

They do a some of the old tunes dropped down to D now. IMO it sounds better than keeping the song in the original key but changing the melody(like he used to do).

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/25/15 4:58 p.m.

I saw them in the, ~ahem~ 70s. Been a fan since high school.

madmallard
madmallard Dork
5/25/15 6:14 p.m.

peart has already said he's close to retiring due to his physical limits.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/25/15 6:16 p.m.

I saw the all the worlds a stage tour. I think the ticket was $4

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/25/15 7:01 p.m.

Thanks to my best friend, I'll be going to the show it Atlanta. Keeping my fingers crossed that the rain will hold out

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
5/25/15 8:31 p.m.

I've got floor seats for the wife and I at the Garden this summer. I'm expecting quite the show!

travellering
travellering Reader
5/25/15 8:43 p.m.

First concert I ever went to was for the Roll the Bones tour in Nashville.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/25/15 9:23 p.m.

First concert I attended as a teenager - Chicago's south side "International Amphitheatre". Rush 2112 - Fall of 1978.

1. I didn't realize how loud it was going to be.

2. I was surprised at the amount of weed being openly smoked.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
5/25/15 10:38 p.m.
Lesley wrote: I saw them in the, ~ahem~ 70s. Been a fan since high school.

I've been a fan since seeing them in HS too. Just on a later tour...

I'll be seeing them again June 25th in Philly.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
5/26/15 6:45 a.m.

Seen them twice. Always a good show. I was in no way surprised with the audio volume, nor the weed volume.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
5/26/15 8:10 a.m.

They are one of the last bands on my bucket list that I want to see live. I may never get the chance. They have all but stated that they aren't going to tour anymore after this one, and the only show in Boston sold out before I could get a ticket. Hopefully they will do a one-off show in the future here.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/26/15 8:34 p.m.

You gotta share the plans for your time machine...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/26/15 9:14 p.m.

Saw them in 75. Rock'n'roll, dude.

Saw them in 76, 2112 tour. WTFweirdwhothehellisthisweirddrummerwiththelyrics? (I know Peart had been writing on Caress of Steel, but 2112 really made it obvious.)

Finally bought Clockwork Angels, which makes 36 years between album purchases.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/26/15 9:21 p.m.
secretariata wrote:

Pretty simple. I'm old :-P

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
5/26/15 9:51 p.m.
Lesley wrote:
secretariata wrote:
Pretty simple. I'm old :-P

You sure it wasn't this one?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/27/15 6:15 a.m.

They were awesome. We saw them at the opening night of the tour here in Tulsa.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EJY6i6MMb7wqdFjmADYeHi8EB71DUG53WX6VwWgpT7dJRn0hbiPl443qIM8yXwNc