JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/13/11 6:16 p.m.

I have a fair bit of stainless steel sheet metal that I was thinking of using for the body panels in the back portion of my datsun replica. My plan for painting the car was to follow Dr. Hess's advice; i.e. Rustoleum Professional diluted 20% with a mineral-spirits based paint thinner.

Would that stick to the stainless sheet? If not, is there some sort of treatment (e.g. special primer or etcher) I could use that would make it adhere?

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/13/11 6:35 p.m.

This is a bit off the wall, but there were a couple of painted DeLoreans running around L.A. when they came out, soooo, it's possible. Now, there's DMC in texas that builds both new and rebuilds old DeLoreans. I'm sure they, if anybody can help you out. Worth an email of phonw call.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
2/13/11 7:03 p.m.

There are wash primers or sandblasting that will help the paint stick to stainless. Definitely talk to pro paint people about it. Kind of a natural non-stick surface.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/13/11 7:12 p.m.

Get a coupon and experiment with it. For the aluminum, I found that roughing it up with about 320 grit was the secret. That is, rough it up with 320 on a air powered sander or DA, wipe down with mineral spirits based Paint Thinner, shoot it. You can get it off after that. I didn't shoot the stainless (or most of it, anyway), just the aluminum panels, but that's how I did it, and I would do the same thing to the stainless.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/14/11 5:45 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: rough it up with 320 on a air powered sander or DA, wipe down with mineral spirits based Paint Thinner, shoot it. You can get it off after that. that's how I did it, and I would do the same thing to the stainless.

???

I'm pretty sure that's a typo, and you meant to say "can not"....can you confirm this for me.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/14/11 6:06 a.m.

House of Kolor makes Adhereto, sticks any paint to anything. I've used it as a primer to paint chrome bumpers.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/14/11 7:10 a.m.
914Driver wrote: House of Kolor makes Adhereto, sticks any paint to anything. I've used it as a primer to paint chrome bumpers.

Awesome! I think we've got a plan.....fabricate the rear end out of stainless steel from a commercial freezer, prep it as per Dr. Hess, prime it with Adhereto, and paint with rustoleum as per Dr. Hess

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/14/11 8:04 a.m.

Why stainless?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/14/11 8:10 a.m.

Because a guy I know owns a restaurant, and he was going to throw out a freezer that broke....he asked if I wanted it for the metal.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/11 8:47 a.m.
914Driver wrote: House of Kolor makes Adhereto, sticks any paint to anything. I've used it as a primer to paint chrome bumpers.

Thank you!

I had to replace the rear bumper on my Tacoma last Summer. What I thought was an original factory part turns out to be a cheap knockoff. Six months later it's rusting through the chrome.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/14/11 8:55 a.m.

I cut four bumpers down (two different cars) gutted all the safety nonsense and weight from the inside, narrowed them to hug the body nicely and then peckered them up with media blasting. Weld together and slather on Adhereto. It's thinner than water so 1 qt. should last a lifetime.

Dan

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/14/11 9:43 a.m.

Yeah, sorry, CAN'T get it off. Even with aircraft stripper, it's a biatch. I had to basically grind the stuff off. I had shot a 6'x1' panel experimenting and I needed to use that for the car as I was running low on aluminum. I had one hell of a time getting the Rustoleum off.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
efAyvLQnFMlxp4W6VK2sLfn6bH1Oh9r3EAhmK3c7VuAYI0ELlPeX3a3syFE2C6SH