RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/19 3:52 a.m.

I'll get a picture up in the daylight for better clarification.

I need to replace the hose bib on my house. The tricky part is that the collar or whatever that attaches to the house is behind my siding. Luckily? the hose bib seems to be at a seam between two pieces, that are only about 4 feet long. 

I know they make a tool for such a thing, but I can't really get my hands on one. Could probably make one though, they look simple enough.

Let's say I don't have the tool though, what would be my safest way to remove the 2 pieces so that I can put them back when I'm done? Heck, what's the safest way to put them back when I'm done?

It's been 15 maybe 18 years since we got the siding done, and I don't have any leftovers anymore, although I might be able to match the color if I screw up bad enough. Just being so old and having been exposed to so much UV and weather through the years I expect it to be fragile.

I've never done any siding work, but it doesn't look like either of the pieces that need removed have nails in them, so this should be easy, right?

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
6/14/19 5:25 a.m.

The zip tool is the way to go, but not entirely necessary.  Sold at home centers for less than $10.  You can peel off the vinyl fairly easy by hand.  Pull at the bottom where the seam locks into the course below, or in your case its probably the starter strip at the bottom.  It peels like a zip lock baggy.  If you have two courses to contend with, then do it twice.  Just lift it up and out of your way.  Maybe pull a nail or two if needed.  When you reinstall don't sink th roofing nails in all the way.  Siding needs to be able to expand and contract.  When you go to put it back, you can hammer fist the bottom with downward strikes to pop the seam back together.  When replacing sillcocks where the vinyl was installed over it, I sometimes have to make a square block out of pvc trim board to fix the mistake. Then I drill a hole in it to run the sillcock thru.   It also puts the hose connecting out farther away from the siding so you can actually get a hose on it.  This time of the year I carry several styles of sillcocks, and some scrap pvc trim boards.  Going to do an outdoor shower today, so the trim boards might come in handy.  Oh snap, we can't call them out door showers here in Mass anymore, because as soon as you say shower, it needs a properly vented drain.  They are referred to as seasonal outdoor rinse stations.  I kid you not.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/14/19 8:23 a.m.

You can get the tool from any home store, hardware store, or Amazon.  Mr DIY that I am I tried to disassemble my siding with a pick set, ended up cutting the E36 M3 out of my thumb, and bought the tool for $6.  So much better than the struggle.  

Also works much better after the vinyl has had a chance to warm up in the sun especially on older more brittle stuff.  Be careful not to break anything since you won't find a match.  

RevRico
6/14/19 1:41 p.m.

Alright, after a clusterberkeley of a morning, I'm ready to get into this. I did buy a tool this morning so that should help.

So regardless of whether that's 2 panel or 3, the hose is 6 horizontal up from the bottom, so should be between 2 pieces. 

I was thinking I could just remove the pieces right around it, but it sound like I'd be better off starting at the bottom and going up.

Didn't realize there is cable caulked in on one side, I was just trying to avoid the dryer vent. 

I'm actually going to leave a stub of pipe OUT of the wall to attach the new hose connection too just to make things easier in the future. 

Edit: Oh good, there's no screws or anything visible from the outside holding the hose bib into place. This makes it interesting

Double edit: I need to go back to home depot with my now broken left toes running the clutch in the truck. I bought everything shark bite, thinning I was smart, and this Damn hose was threaded on. 

Thanks for the siding help

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
6/16/19 9:04 a.m.

Siding is installed starting at the bottom, so when you remove it you should work from top down. No need to do the whole wall, just do the pieces touching what youre working on. If there are no visible screws does that mean your spigot is just pipe threaded into place? Maybe you dont need to remove any siding if thats the case. 

RevRico
6/16/19 10:15 a.m.

Part of this project was putting a second hose spigot on, except inside the garage. Since I oh so intelligently foamed the garage door shut (can't get a vehicle inside anyway, hoped it would keep the snakes out, which it didn't), tapping off of the hose line with a T and running a line through the wall of the garage was the easiest way to pull that off.

A threaded spigot would have fixed it outside in less time than it took to peel off and replace the siding though if I was just replacing the outside spigot. 

All this because I have the one set of sink hardware on my laundry tub that you can't just screw a hose to.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XsUuVXYcEIHoXQuILei6bbsrnyKcLQ5RaBMTuD0c6q7CyHpz0MVhf9NYfTTkboqM