BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
7/22/08 8:52 a.m.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-07222008-1566393.html

Bees that fell on turnpike are recovering

The Associated Press

CHERRY HILL, N.J. - A few thousand bees that survived a fall from a truck onto the New Jersey Turnpike are recovering.

The hive was thrown near Interchange 3 near Runnemede on Saturday, killing most of the estimated 10,000 to 15,000 bees aboard.

State officials took the remaining bees to the home of Cherry Hill beekeeper Seth Belson.

Belson says he has not found a queen bee yet. He says he needs to see if she's still alive or if a new one has been crowned.

If not, he might need to buy a new one or have the bees join another hive.

Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
7/22/08 10:55 a.m.

The decline of honey bee population of late is a more serious problem than many realize; they basically are responsible for cross-pollination of many crops, and therefore critical to much of our food supply.

One of our rental houses had a hive in it, and the neighbor complained that the bees were frightening his kids. I called the Dept of Agriculture to ask what to do, and they put me in touch with a beekeeper who specializes in moving colonies, but before he could get there, the neighbor sprayed the hive with insectacide and killed the whole wretched mess.

What a shame. We NEED our bees!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/22/08 11:44 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: The decline of honey bee population of late is a more serious problem than many realize; they basically are responsible for cross-pollination of many crops, and therefore critical to much of our food supply.

True! We have some massive perennial beds surrounding our home that are prime feeding ground for a ton of bees. I have had complaints from a few neighbors about the shear number of bees in my beds, but when I point out that these are honey bees and that I can move around in the shrubs, while they are there people chill out.

Help the bees. They sure help us.

Jack

WilD
WilD Reader
7/22/08 11:54 a.m.

True honey bees are extremely non-agressive. My father kept several hives while I was growing up, and they rarely, if ever, stung anyone. We could walk around and run the lawnmower right up to the hives with no problem. I even used to pet the bees when they would stop at the birdbath for a drink. Feral bees I wouldn't trust so much, but I find it highly offensive when people kill bees.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/22/08 12:36 p.m.

I love bees, especially the Boo variety....

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/22/08 12:53 p.m.

Feel free come come around my hives in the fall to see just how non-aggressive they are.

Yes, honeybees tend to be quite laid back, but this is by no means a universal statement, and is also dependent on the time of year.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/08 12:54 p.m.

Somewhat related, shameless work promotion:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/Bees/

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/22/08 1:02 p.m.

Last year when bees began dying off at an alarming rate, I heard a science-guy interviewed on the radio who said that if bees became extinct, humans would follow within ten years.

Bees: There is no substitute!

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
7/23/08 3:48 p.m.

Nice artice here ...

CCD from U of Fla

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/23/08 5:46 p.m.

When it comes to CCD and the problems that will result and are resulting from the lack of bees, don't ever forget that your current administration opposes all research on the subject and has been continously fighting to shut down all bee research facilities nation wide.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/23/08 7:53 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: When it comes to CCD and the problems that will result and are resulting from the lack of bees, don't ever forget that your current administration opposes all research on the subject and has been continously fighting to shut down all bee research facilities nation wide.

Opposes research or opposes government funding of research? Big difference.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ZOEggEX5AAqc9EMfjxFC8WEjqPYam3XB49hAgZYyxMlVhvGEd0qEsnPBgZ93LBf