1 2
cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/6/15 2:29 p.m.

Got a flyer in the mail today from a local market. Among other cheap goodies they have tilapia filets, imported from China. Don't know how anybody else feels, but buying food products from China sounds insane to me. What says the hive?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/6/15 2:32 p.m.

My opinion is in no way based on facts, but I shy away from Chinese food from China. They don't seem to give much of a E36 M3 regarding the value of human safety.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
10/6/15 2:43 p.m.

Yeah a lot of frozen fish comes from China. I wanted to eat more fish but so much comes from China I decided not to.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/6/15 2:49 p.m.

Hmm, I tend to agree about China and consumer safety, but the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch list says farmed Tilapia from China is a "good alternative," though they list US- and Canadian-farmed Tilapia as "best choices."

By the way, they have an app, too. I find it handy when I'm in the supermarket trying to find fish I can afford that won't kill the environment.

Margie

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/6/15 2:55 p.m.

I don't get the love for tilapia. It really tastes pretty mushy to me.

But I'm pretty picky with most of my fish since for the most part I only ate wild caught growing up. I think it is mostly in my head though.

trucke
trucke Dork
10/6/15 2:57 p.m.

Most of your apple juice comes from China. China and Chile.

I've audited medical device sterilization companies in China. Some of them were frightening.

I would avoid the food too! They historically contain high levels of heavy metals.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/6/15 3:03 p.m.

Well, I completely agree and do my best to avoid foodstuffs from China, but it's getting harder. These are the people that cut baby formula with poison for fun and profit. But even mainstream brands like Dole are using fruit from China in their canned fruit. Frozen seafood is another big one. I avoid when I can.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/15 3:10 p.m.

Tilapia eh?

I saw a show about farm grown trout. Every once in a while they would move the fish out of a pond when it got too full of crap. Guess what they would move into that pond to eat all the crap?

Yes, that's right, the term "eat sh#t" in the Tilapia world, is not an insult, it's a call to dinner!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/6/15 3:16 p.m.

I live on the coast.

Anything I can't buy off the boat doesn't get eaten, except Lobster, that stuff is awesome.

Agnew
Agnew UltraDork
10/6/15 3:36 p.m.
mtn wrote: I don't get the love for tilapia. It really tastes pretty mushy to me.

Tilapia is the favorite fish of people who don't really like fish.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/6/15 3:44 p.m.
Agnew wrote:
mtn wrote: I don't get the love for tilapia. It really tastes pretty mushy to me.

Must be.

Reading this, I realized I didn't actually say what it tastes like--"mushy" is not a taste. But it is bland tasting and mushy feeling. Not a good experience in my mouth. Give me Trout, Perch, Walleye, Tuna, Salmon, Cod... Anything but Tilapia.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UberDork
10/6/15 3:45 p.m.

I read that the Chinese house the Tilapia in pools below chicken coops. The chicken crap drops in the pools, no cost feeding for the Tilapia. No more Tilapia for me.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/6/15 3:47 p.m.

Shrimp is similar, from what I've heard. I don't eat shrimp much, anymore.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/15 4:24 p.m.

Shellfish are the oil filters of the sea.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/6/15 4:24 p.m.

Isn't Tilapia promoted by the Brown Trough, or...what is it...Golden Corral- that's it. If its promoted by them, its gotta be bad.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/15 4:30 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Isn't Tilapia promoted by the Brown Trough, or...what is it...Golden Corral- that's it. If its promoted by them, its gotta be bad.

Heh... we refer to our local pizza buffet place as "The Pizza Trough"

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
10/6/15 4:50 p.m.

Catfish, tilapia, and a new one you may have heard of "swai". All bottom feeders and all to be avoided IMO. Shrimp are free swimming so not as bad as bottom dwelling shellfish. Lobsters are essentially sea cockroaches.

OTOH, go too far up the oceanic food chain and the levels of mercury and other toxins starts to intensify. IE: swordfish and shark.

Trout, salmon, cod. Those are my go too fishes.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/6/15 4:55 p.m.
stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/15 5:22 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

No love for Pollock? It's like the "other" cod

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
10/6/15 5:59 p.m.

Sorry, I forgot to mention pollock.

I live a fair way from the ocean and by no means meant to give exhaustive lists of all the fishes in the sea but rather examples of various tribes such as I see them. YMMV and I by no means pretend to be an authority figure on such matters.

But I do like to cook and eat fish and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/6/15 6:06 p.m.

I agree, tilapia is nasty. And Swai shows up in a lot of restaurants here as "flounder"--but you can tell it's not by the weird, watery texture. Now sardines, on the other hand... Mmmm. Anyone had grilled fresh sardines, like the Spanish do? Tasty, but you need to like fish.

Margie

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
10/6/15 6:14 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Agnew wrote:
Must be. Reading this, I realized I didn't actually say what it tastes like--"mushy" is not a taste. But it is bland tasting and mushy feeling. Not a good experience in my mouth. Give me Trout, Perch, Walleye, Tuna, Salmon, Cod... Anything but Tilapia.

crappie, catfish, flounder, king mackerel steaks … that's pretty much it … and fried of course

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/15 6:20 p.m.

How do we feel about Mahi Mahi?

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
10/6/15 6:22 p.m.
Woody wrote: How do we feel about Mahi Mahi?

I have sold fish for 7 years, it is my favorite.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/15 7:05 p.m.

If it lives in salt water, I'll try it. Most of it is tasty. I really don't care what it eats as long as it tastes good.

Vegetables grow well in E36 M3 too, but shrimp does a much better job of turning it into something tasty.

As far as the Asian seafood. I avoid it as much as possible. Local is better anyways. The pluff mud adds a wonderful aroma and flavor that the imported crap doesn't have.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7RPXRADob2etAXFSHC9b8GMAb6Em6p4hveduwzPQ4FApoZBKvxPvEk7fMSoM21dq