Silverbrick27
Silverbrick27 New Reader
6/29/14 4:01 p.m.

Have yall heard of anyone making side money selling amsoil? I saw a advertisment And wondered if it would be a good source of side income?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/29/14 4:21 p.m.

You won't really make any money, but you'll get a good (or better than retail) deal on your oil. They also offer a deal where you can become some sort of a preferred customer, and get wholesale pricing. I got mine as an introductory offer, and didn't have to pay anything for it. It cut my two stroke oil costs in less than half. I don't think the motor oil deals are as good, though.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/29/14 4:35 p.m.

I pay them $20 for a wholesale pricing subscription that lasts six months about every 2 years.

They make the best juice for the Allison trans in the truck which is made of the most delicate of almost extinct owl vagina and priced accordingly.

So.. I pay them the vig to get about 20% off. I buy a E36 M3load of it, a bunch of racing gear/trans oil for the race car, synthetic 2 stroke oil, etc and sell the extra at cost to a bunch of friends.

I can't see how you would make money but like zomby said... you can save some dough if you buy enough quantity to make it worth the buy in.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/30/14 12:17 a.m.

If you're going to hit it hard enough to make any money from it, it'll be a full time job.

Source: i'm a "dealer"

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
6/30/14 12:23 a.m.

+1 I was a dealer, only to get better pricing.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/30/14 12:24 a.m.

I think i've made maybe $80 this year. I got a comission check for $2.37 last month.

Was good for the world's smallest bump.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/30/14 8:39 a.m.

Having zero experience with Amsoil, what's so great about it?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
6/30/14 10:24 a.m.

My Dad has been a dealer since the early 80's, mostly he gets stuff for family cars and some friends. You can make money, just depends on how much time you are willing to put into it.

Grtechguy, one of the best features for me is the extended oil change intervals. I drive a good amount and it is nice to be able to go a year/25000 miles without changing oil. Otherwise I would be changing my oil every couple months.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/14 11:51 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Having zero experience with Amsoil, what's so great about it?

Its very high quality synthetic oil. Labs did big tests (can't find linky) that put Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Mobil1 in the same quality category, so I think the premium price is probably marketing.

There are two types of synthetic oil. There are actual synthetic molecules made in a lab (mobil1, amsoil, RP) and then there are synthetics made from a petroleum base that simply pass the purity tests so they can be labeled synthetic (Castrol, Valvoline, common brands).

Of the "real" synthetics, I don't think there is a difference. I was an Amsoil dealer for the cheap pricing, but its multi-level marketing at its finest. You'll get catalogs for Amsoil, and then you'll get catalogs for nutritional supplements and other gag BS that you're supposed to sell. It really cheapens the experience. You're selling the worlds finest oil products and "as-seen-on-tv" weight loss pills.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/30/14 11:59 a.m.

In my case, it's one of only two approved juices for the trans in my truck and the other one is even more costly. The gear and engine oil is good quality though and people want it - so I do the "dealer" thing, buy enough to save a bunch and use what I need, re-sell what I don't.

When I run out, I use Mobil one in everything until the trans is due for service again (every 25k).

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/14 2:50 p.m.

I had been(might still be active?) setup as a dealer - I can get Mobil1 cheaper on sale than I could get Amsoil. And yeah, very much a pyramid-scheme type vibe to the whole deal. Except for the Miata, none of our POS's are worth spending the $$$ for it.

Silverbrick27
Silverbrick27 New Reader
7/2/14 4:07 p.m.

I may buy some but I will stay away from the dealer part lol.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
9/3/14 3:03 p.m.

Can any of the dealers get me a good price on Amsoil 4T for the B&S engines?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/14 3:06 p.m.

A few small car shops by me have been Amsoil dealers for years, I don't think they'd keep doing it if it wasn't profitable.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/3/14 3:39 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: A few small car shops by me have been Amsoil dealers for years, I don't think they'd keep doing it if it wasn't profitable.

It's easier to make a profit when you have the space to grab a huge quantity of product in one shot.

I could probably make a killing if i had had a warehouse big enough for me to make a trip with a big rig every month.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/3/14 3:55 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Its very high quality synthetic oil. Labs did big tests (can't find linky) that put Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Mobil1 in the same quality category, so I think the premium price is probably marketing. There are two types of synthetic oil. There are actual synthetic molecules made in a lab (mobil1, amsoil, RP) and then there are synthetics made from a petroleum base that simply pass the purity tests so they can be labeled synthetic (Castrol, Valvoline, common brands).

Mobil 1 is now hydrocracked after they were bought up. Only their racing oil is the original deal from what I remember. I'll see if I can find a link, but I suspect there is much discusion on Bobistheoilguy.com about this and other oils.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/3/14 4:42 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

For 99% of applications that's splitting hairs, their 0w40 and 15w50 are still tough as nails(and the other grades ain't bad). My dd is full of M1 0w40 with nearly 8000 miles on it, I changed it last about 6 months ago, severe service all winter, I'm only minorly concerned about getting a move on with changing it(gonna have an analysis done on this run, gotta pick a kit up).

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/3/14 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Not saying I don't use it, but the formula isn't the same as it once was (for good or bad) but they use a hydrocracked base because its typically cheaper to produce and yet they charge the same money for it. Smacks a bit of theft, IMO.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/3/14 4:46 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

At $24 a jug or whatever walmart/meijer gets for it, I ain't complaining.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fa87uIizFE5p4Y2NLE9DjHgqA5vUMgrkanvqTVy5gQYZm2XT3pyNuu9OL9qcrHQQ