1 2 3

I'm not sure how much more sense the box tube makes, but the whole thing looks to have 5th grade science project craftsmanship.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/8/22 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

If you want to shoot someone in a country with some of the world's strictest gun laws, making it look like a 5th grade science project is certainly a good way to fly under the radar...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/22 7:20 p.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

I'm not sure how much more sense the box tube makes, but the whole thing looks to have 5th grade science project craftsmanship.

I think the box tube is to brace the barrels against.  The "frame" appears to be a chunk of lumber, the barrels are just capped pipes that are muzzle-loaded (like a musket) with electrical wires going in to ignite the powder.  Rather than bedding the barrel into the stock the way real muzzle-loaders are made (which takes a lot of woodworking skill), they're just taped in place with a chunk of steel and some bolts to transfer the recoil.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/22 7:40 p.m.

Different camera view.

Kind of interesting how no one reacted in any way.  Maybe that's a commentary on life in America?  I dunno

https://old.reddit.com/r/ActualPublicFreakouts/comments/vueaox/much_clearer_view/

Toebra
Toebra Dork
7/8/22 8:04 p.m.

No one reacted in any way?  You must have watched a different video.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/8/22 11:10 p.m.
karussell said:

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

The rectangular thing on the left, with white protective case(?).  Another photo:

Why is police written in english on the thing hes wearing?

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
7/8/22 11:35 p.m.

Probably for the same reason as these police cars.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/22 11:37 p.m.

Supply and demand.  The demand for police body armor is much higher in the US so the supply is higher.  There for it's cheaper to buy US police body armor for the Japanese police.  Capitalism at work.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/22 12:49 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

Why is police written in english on the thing hes wearing?

As previously noted, for the same reason it's on their police cars: English is taught in school in Japan, but most of the rest of the world doesn't understand Japanese.

Basically, everyone in Japan knows what POLICE means, but if you're a foreigner in Japan you might be a little unclear on the meaning of 警察庁.

Not something you want people to be unclear on when they're on the receiving end of an arrest (or a gun barrel).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 9:13 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Even traffic signage seems to largely be Japanese and English, from what I have seen online, at least in the larger metro areas.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/9/22 10:14 a.m.

People that haven't been overseas much are often surprised at how everyone uses our language and money

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Our money, maybe, but it wasn't the US that spread the language...

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/9/22 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Fair enough

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
7/9/22 10:24 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Even traffic signage seems to largely be Japanese and English, from what I have seen online, at least in the larger metro areas.

You can 100% travel in Japan with only knowing English, signs, menus, and announcements are in Japanese and English, except in very rural areas. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/9/22 10:48 a.m.

English is the universal second language.

Also, the Roman alphabet is very ubiquitous. Even if you don't speak English, the word "Police" will almost certainly be recognizable if you speak any language using that alphabet: Policia, Policija, Policie, Politi, Politie, Polizei, Polizie, Polis...

The English didn't conquer *everyone*, but between the English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Italians, and Germans...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/23 10:26 p.m.

Thread resurrection: Saw related news and remembered this thread (wow, that was just over a year ago?):

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/14/asia/japan-unification-church-dissolution-explainer-hnk-dst-intl/index.html

From the news that came out around the time of the shooting you might've assumed the shooter was a lone-wolf anti-war activist, but now in a surprising twist it looks like he was simply batE36 M3 insane after all. He killed Abe based on the evidence-free belief that Abe was associated with the famously weird Unification Church that bankrupted his family by squeezing too many donations out of his mother. And now the Japanese government is putting the screws to the Unification Church.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/14/23 11:33 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That's a twist.  

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/23 7:58 a.m.

Religious beliefs causing people to commit murder, who would've ever thunk it...

chandler
chandler MegaDork
10/15/23 1:58 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

.....beliefs causing people to commit murder, who would've ever thunk it...

FTFY

10/15/23 6:15 p.m.

I mean politicians are at risk enough as much as it is...

... Zealots are pure evil though, regardless of whatever deity they believe in. It's why there should be a separation of said beliefs. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/15/23 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I am missing something, how is this guy registering as a religious zealot? He was angry at the church for convincing his mom to give so much; he spread that anger to Abe because he thought Abe supported the church. Where is the info discussing his religious beliefs and how they factor in? I am missing wherever that info is, it did not seem to be in the linked article or in previous things I had read.

Thanks

10/15/23 9:43 p.m.

I won't go into it here as it goes into how religious beliefs affect people in different ways.

But the 30000 ft view is, If his mother gave a large sum of money to a religion because it made her feel better, That's no different than many Anglo-Saxons in the lower 48 doing so too their preferred religion. The son's anger regarding his mother's financial irresponsibility and as it pertains to the religious aspect of her investment is the zealot part, especially seeing that he didn't agree with her choice of faith. 

In his eyes she was the heretic. In reality, all religions are cults, every single one of them with no exception, some cults are more popular, have more members and more money and become normalized because of that, but it doesn't change what they in fact are. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/15/23 9:53 p.m.

So, zealot upset at her religious choice, but not necessarily a religious zealot?

10/15/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

He's still upset that her religious choice didn't mirror his... Hence the use of the term. Throughout history, including current events, this is a trend which often mirrors when people of other faiths also have different skin complexions. It's one of the reasons why churches prey upon the idea of being part of the "community" of other "like minded" individuals. The entire element and aspect is built upon toxicity. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/15/23 10:49 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry, I was just looking for interesting information that might shed additional light on the situation, not someone's one own zealous views. I will step away now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVY9UYaCajoW1yWjCAXMSZ6jDzrTIx3nE2Pyj3aTLJmAtmmIzy2HNudMxwMUYtrO