1 2 3 4
Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/20/19 3:01 p.m.

Late to this thread but I rolled my associate's degree over into a bachelor's during the great recession, and I've frequently said that looking back I'd have been much better off investing the same money in depreciated stocks and other assets. Every job I've had since I could technically have had without the Bachelors. It might have gotten me additional consideration, but in my field I'm already overqualified in terms of paper credentials and having one less probably wouldn't have changed anything. 

IF you're going to pursue a bachelor's in a very non-specific way just as a gamble on the statistics about having one leading to significantly higher income, lower unemployment, lifetime earnings etc etc, just make sure you spend the least amount of money possible getting it done. 

Bleti
Bleti New Spammer
1/18/20 10:25 a.m.

yes, i think this is quite possible. Essay editing and paper proofreading is the last step in writing your college papers; although some students think that checking a text for grammar and punctuation errors is not necessary, in fact, the final overview is one of the most important steps! Thus, it should not be neglected! Keep in mind that even the content of your assignment does not matter if it is full of mistakes and typos! [post-edit canoe removed] I highly recommend this resource for you to edit or write an essay.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
1/25/20 10:20 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

I got an associate's in computer programming (which I don't enjoy at all) back in 2002.  Since then I went to the language academy while in the Army (DLI FLC) twice for two foreign languages - and with a couple classes I could turn those into associates degrees.  Plus I have some trade school certifications.  That's it, nothing higher.   I don't really think three associate's would be an improvement on one though.  To be honest I don't care entirely what I do for a living, I just want to pay my bills, have a few bucks left over, and be happy.  The modern job market definitely seems to require a bachelor's degree for anything halfway decent, so I've been thinking of using the last of my GI bill to maybe build on my prior education and get a degree in something that'll help me get a decent job.  I feel the lack of education, combined with my oddly specific job skills from the army, have been some of the most limiting factors in me being where I am right now.

Any recommendations here?  My whole life I've been told I should have been an engineer, as I love designing things and figuring them out and my brain works well with analyzing things and details.  All that math is fairly daunting though.  I was considering some type of generic "business administration" degree that's relatively quick and easy to get and looks good on a resume.  Or something related to medical billing, since I'm moving down to central/south florida and that's a pretty big business down there.  I just want a better future for my family.  Any advice would be welcomed.

I know this is a little late but I went to college and got a BS in coding. I don't want to code all day every day. I stumbled into Software Testing Automation, most of it is done with programs like Postman, Ranorex, Telerik Test Studio or Selenium. Its point and click, BUT! some of it requires coding knowledge and writing some code for what those programs wont handle or test cases.

Its not a job I get up and dread or hate everyday when I get up. It is difficult enough to keep my interest but not so difficult that I hate it. I can do this job until I retire pretty easy. It pays the bills and I am home unlike when I was driving a truck. My stress level is quite low with this job, it will probably add like 30 years to my lifespan... laugh OK kidding, but I am happier and have much less stress.

I also lucked into a place with good people which is more important than what you do. A lousy job can be endured with support, a great job with backstabbing A__H___'s sucks the life out of you.

Its a field that is expanding, maybe you should check it out, it sounds like you would be a good candidate.

** As an aside, I didn't remember anything about it from my degree, I graduated in 2018, NOW they have a class and its required. If you are interested pm me and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/25/20 11:28 a.m.

Just make sure you have a hobby that isn't your work. If your hobby is your work, it's just going to become work, and then you don't have a hobby any more.  Also, when you retire from the "job," you still have a "hobby" to do and enjoy.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dkKTQTVGq0n4a2a0wQP4Cgzl4h3hWoIg0vuNIIp0OQhSnSHwwnzOKRVkUCP75Ajv