KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/17/18 7:49 p.m.

First it was R. Lee Ermey, then yesterday it was Harry Anderson (my favorite judge and part of my tv landscape growing up).  Now it’s Barbara Bush.  Admittedly she was 92 and it was expected but it still seems like we’re losing a lot of famous people at once.

Carson
Carson SuperDork
4/17/18 8:03 p.m.

Carl Kasell, today at age 84

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/18/18 12:20 a.m.

So...its turning into 2016, pt.II?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/18 1:38 p.m.

Guess we can add Bruno Sammartino to the list too. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/18/18 1:56 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

This one I'm not cool with. sad

He was my dad's idol, having a very similar background to Bruno's (Italian immigrant, family evading Nazis in the 40's, worked hard to adjust after coming to the states, etc). In his eyes, Bruno was a superhero. My dad and all his cousins looked up to him and went to his shows when he wrestled in Boston and Providence back in the day.

A few years ago, my dad finally got to meet him at an Italian-American Sports Hall of Fame dinner when he was serving as a guest speaker, and he said he was nothing but gracious and nice. They talked about how similar their backgrounds were, and he even wrote my dad a nice note and gave him a few autographs. He even gave him one to place at my dad's cousin's grave (my dad and his cousin were always at his shows), personalized to him. That's true class right there. He will be missed. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/18 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

For an industry even back then filled with snakes and selfish greed, he really was a man of the people. 

I didn't get to see him wrestle until YouTube became a thing, but stories I've heard through the years from wrestlers that worked with him, and seeing things he's done for Pittsburgh as one of the hometown heroes, he really was a cut above. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/21/18 12:48 p.m.

Some dance music DJ worth hundreds of millions of dollars died at 28 yesterday. So far, I haven't found anyone who knew who he was.

I'm old and so are my friends.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/21/18 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I guess I'm the first. Avicii. 100$ has it as a drug overdose. DJ am went the same way a few years ago. 

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
4/21/18 1:02 p.m.

There is an almost endless supply of celebrities, not sure why people are surprised when a few of them die.  They are people too.

old_
old_ HalfDork
4/21/18 3:55 p.m.
wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/18 4:55 p.m.
champions.
ArthurDent said:

There is an almost endless supply of celebrities, not sure why people are surprised when a few of them die.  They are people too.

Agreed, but I have to say, this country places way too much emphasis on celebrities. I want some praise for teachers, nurses, and the many unsung roles filled by the "everyday" people who are tragically unrecognized, and drastically undervalued in our society, while we continue to praise athletes, celebrities, and other false gods as our role models in a society increasingly unconcerned with ethics and morality. rant off,

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/22/18 1:14 a.m.

Famous people are dying all the time, it just seems like it's more common lately because you're now old enough that the famous people who are dying are people you've actually heard of.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker PowerDork
4/24/18 8:19 p.m.

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?

Bob Dorough, composer of Schoolhouse Rock. He was 94.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/24/18 8:28 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker:

I can't even unpack my adjectives right now. I'm only a bill, yes I'm only a bill, and I'm sittin' here on Capitol Hill. Mr. Morton is the subject of my sentance, and what the predacate says, he does. And Planetary Janet, she's a galaxy girl. And while 3 is a magic number, zero will always be my hero.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/24/18 10:57 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

I agree. I don't get celebrity culture

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/18 11:59 p.m.

BREAKING NEWS:

Today at the age of 96, actress, animal rights activist, author, comedian, radio host, singer and television personality Betty White is alive and well. You may carry on now. All is right with the world.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/25/18 12:46 a.m.

She's the new Abe Vigoda

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/25/18 7:55 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/25/18 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Dude.  no