1 2
fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
1/29/15 1:33 p.m.

So I'm slowly finishing to build myself a car seat sofa for my living room (might make a build thread of it eventually). And it's going against big section of wall where there used to be a small methanol fire place. That left a mark on the wall and I'd like to hide it with something automotive related to go with the sofa.

So what would you guys suggest? Below are the requirements...
1) About 3-4 ft wide by about 2-3 high
2) Cheap...this is GRM after all
3) Automotive related...obviously
4) I'm pretty open, but as shown in my avatar, I have a thing for classic romantic stuff. So that poster of an Iroc-Z with an 80's bikini model on it isn`t really doing anything for me.

Any ideas are welcome.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/29/15 2:18 p.m.

I have this art on my office wall (the poster, not the insert of the driver signing it for me.)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/29/15 2:32 p.m.

Hanging over the desk in my office

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
1/29/15 3:24 p.m.

This would be cool....(But not grassroots in price...)

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/sennas-dap-kart-up-for-sale/98221/page1/

What about front clip or grille and lights from your favorite marque? Junkyards would be a good source of inspiration. Or, if you want something older (like a Bugatti grill), you could find a cheap re-pop. Hook up the lights and you'd have reading lights with it.

You could also blow up a schematic/line drawing of a car as art. I scanned a bunch of line drawings from a Sprite workshop manual and made posters out of them for a buddy of mine. Looks cool and cheap as a 11x17 print at Kinko's.

-Rob

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/15 3:31 p.m.

How about some famous race track outlines?

http://plasma-tracks.com/

Gary
Gary HalfDork
1/29/15 4:12 p.m.

Just got the compilation of all of them. The Isle of Man circuit is the perimeter and everything else is "best fit" inside, all to the same relative scale. The IoM circuit makes the Nordschleife look tiny. Haven't had it framed yet. (Keith Tanner has conveniently posted a pic of this poster for me below ).

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/29/15 4:27 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I have this art on my office wall (the poster, not the insert of the driver signing it for me.)

Nice! Maybe the prettiest race car of all time!

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/29/15 4:32 p.m.

I saw this on Instagram, guy takes apart pallets and paints on them. Not sure of cost.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/15 4:46 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo:

Pretty sure that's not the picture you wanted to post.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/15 5:07 p.m.

I've got this on my wall along with a signed poster for the Racing The Rock film.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/15 5:17 p.m.

BTW, check out this pic from the Marussia F1 auction. Great wall art.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/29/15 5:19 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to DuctTape&Bondo: Pretty sure that's not the picture you wanted to post.

Berking photobucket app. Fixed, thanks.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
1/29/15 5:45 p.m.

I like racing stuff of myself because I am sort of vain like that

This is what I currently have framed:

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
1/29/15 6:12 p.m.

I had this printed on a poster board at work, turned out well as a 16x20

That pallet guy either doesn't have a website for commissions or it's poorly marked, my google-fu is pretty strong and I struck out.
I'm tempted to try it though, I 'know a guy' who can get me some pallets.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
1/29/15 6:22 p.m.

We bought two of these. They are printed on 11x17 paper. I used spray glue and mdf board. I used some Home Depot trim pieces around the edges. One is a toy story movie poster for my daughters room, the other is Hobbs from Calvin and Hobbs that is in the basement. There are lots of cool poster to choose from and it is cheap and easy.

I can't figure out how to pull a link to the picture from the eBay ad -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Enzo-Speedometer-Huge-Art-Giant-Poster-Wall-Print-39-x57-px81-/181580799079

If you choose one with a white background, you can't see the lines from the individual sheets.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/15 6:55 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322:

Not meaning to nitpick, but it would be more awesome-er if the tach & speedo weren't at zero...

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
1/29/15 7:02 p.m.

E30 M3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-E30-Huge-Art-Giant-Poster-Wall-Print-39-x57-px85-/181580814476

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/15 9:10 p.m.

Not a great picture, but when I gave this a try, response from SWMBO wasn't just no, but hell no!

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/29/15 9:11 p.m.

I have a set of Blackprints hanging in my office (the 911, E30, Cobra, and GT40) each 24x38. No pictures on this computer sadly.

It appears her website is no longer functional so I'm not even sure how to get a copy of them anymore.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/29/15 9:12 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: E30 M3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-E30-Huge-Art-Giant-Poster-Wall-Print-39-x57-px85-/181580814476

That is pretty freaking sweet.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/29/15 9:15 p.m.

Someone posted this in the Hotlink thread sometime last year. I really liked it, opened it in Illustrator, vectorized it, blew it up, and had Zazzle send me an 18x24" print on their fancier Kodak paper. That's as far as I got.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
1/30/15 3:50 a.m.
The0retical wrote: I have a set of Blackprints hanging in my office (the 911, E30, Cobra, and GT40) each 24x38. No pictures on this computer sadly. It appears her website is no longer functional so I'm not even sure how to get a copy of them anymore.

I think she got shut down because she was using someone else's copyrighted pics to make those.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/30/15 8:49 a.m.

Had I taken my last neon to a salvage yard rather than trade it in, I would have pulled the hood to hang on a wall. But it also had the skunk stripes so it wasn't plain.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/30/15 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus:

My wife also denied my artistic license when I tried to hang the hood from our rollover wreck in the BMW Endurance series on the wall with a picture of the smashed car in the meatball. I admit it was no "Boy With Apple" and... I have accepted the rejection

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/30/15 9:19 a.m.

I kept the engine cover off of our '09 TDI Jetta before it was hauled off, after it was totaled. I have intentions of framing it, possibly back lit, with a VW emblem in the hole for the oil filler cap. SWMBO, supports the idea, as long as it's not hung in the house.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YklDFJnB2K3MluxNY9bmnCPBG2UJwPDZUkSg9mR6wx4fZnd74Kne32APSIuWJoh8