PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/2/16 9:54 a.m.

My question got little notice in the other thread, so I thought I'd make a new one because I'm selfish and need attention.

Any suggestions for brothy, creamy, spicy simmer sauces? Stuff I can throw chicken, fish or tofu and vegetables in and have over rice as multiple meals.

I love a good curry sauce, but they are kinda pricey because coconut milk aint cheap.

I basically need a soup that works well over a pile of rice.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/2/16 9:58 a.m.

Cream of ___

WilD
WilD HalfDork
3/2/16 10:00 a.m.

We make a "Mediterranean" chicken recipe in the crock pot from time to time. I can't find the recipe right now (I think my wife originally found it on pinterest) but it is basically a stew of chicken, prunes, olives and garlic in a broth of red wine and vinegar. Maybe still a bit pricey, but tasty.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
3/2/16 10:06 a.m.
Brian wrote: Cream of _________

I like cream of mushroom with some wine thrown in until it tastes right, oddly enough I hate real mushrooms

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/2/16 10:15 a.m.

I don't care for Cream of Celery soup, but one can over pan fried pork chops makes a nice gravy.

Most sauces are perishable enough not to be reused, try some crock pot recipes.

http://allrecipes.com/search/results/?wt=crock%20pot&sort=re

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/2/16 10:16 a.m.
PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/2/16 10:23 a.m.

I really like the Patak's stuff but its also pretty pricey. One of those jars is like $4.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/2/16 10:26 a.m.

State fair chicken, than mix in a hot sauce or spicy marinade of your liking.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/16 10:45 a.m.

I think the classic french cooking "base" is chicken carcass (all the meat cut off), onion, carrot, and celery all boiled together for a while, then strained.

Basically every soup/sauce dish starts with that.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
3/2/16 11:08 a.m.
Robbie wrote: I think the classic french cooking "base" is chicken carcass (all the meat cut off), onion, carrot, and celery all boiled together for a while, then strained. Basically every soup/sauce dish starts with that.

That, plus mushrooms, is the chicken stock that we make. And then we portion and freeze it and don't have to buy chicken stock.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/2/16 11:18 a.m.
PHeller wrote: I really like the Patak's stuff but its also pretty pricey. One of those jars is like $4.

Nothing you buy is going to be cheap, but a jar should last long enough that you get decent value for the $$

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/2/16 11:20 a.m.

We don't get these here, so when we're stateside, we grab a few for days when we're just not here to cook.

Campbells slow cooker sauces

Other ones

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/2/16 11:53 a.m.

I use the Kroger brand canned coconut milk, it's usually $1.25 per can. Refill the empty can with Vanilla soy milk and add half a can of Thai curry paste from the local asian market ( $1/can maybe?.) Not expensive at all and hella tasty.

EDIT, because pictures are helpful:

One of these:

Then refill the can with this:

and add half of one of these:

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/2/16 12:08 p.m.

I like to make a simple Alfredo sauce. All you need is graded parmesan ~1 cup and a pint of heavy whipping cream. Fry up your meat/onions/garlic/mushrooms/whatever and make sure there is a bit of fat in the pan yet from cooking the meat and dump in the cream and parm. Return to a light simmer at most. I like to put basil in mine. Toss it over some noodle/rice. The sauce part is the easiest bit.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/2/16 12:11 p.m.

My tomato sauce is very similar to my Alfredo sauce. Saute the meat/veggies then a can of roasted tomatoes, and a small can of tomato paste. Lots of garlic and typical Italian herbs.

I don't care to use 'packets' for sauces or jars of prepared sauces as they usually have a ton of salt. Anyways I think mine taste better! Have you watched Good Eats? Alton Brown is the GRM of the food world. It was on Food Network and they have a select number of shows on Netflix.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
3/2/16 6:29 p.m.

Coke for beef, A&W or Dr. Pepper for pork, ginger ale or orange soda for chicken. Carrots, peppers, onion and garlic for all of them and herbs to suit for each. Diced tomatoes over pasta, soy over rice, cream of something soup over mashed potatoes.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/3/16 7:32 a.m.

Caramelized onion sauce: It can take half an hour or more and needs a lot of attention, but it's really good. Careful with using sweet onions; I did this with Vidalias once and my wife wondered if I'd dumped sugar into it.

Slice up an onion (I cut it into rings, but you can use chopped onion too) and fry it in butter until it's brown and nearly sticking to the pan. Then put in about a tablespoon of flour. Stir in some chicken broth and boil down to desired thickness.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/16 7:56 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Coke for beef, A&W or Dr. Pepper for pork, ginger ale or orange soda for chicken.

Did you learn to cook in Texas too? First time I dumped a can of Coke over a brisket my Yankee-raised wife thought I was insane.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
3/3/16 11:14 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Caramelized onion sauce: It can take half an hour or more and needs a lot of attention, but it's really good. Careful with using sweet onions; I did this with Vidalias once and my wife wondered if I'd dumped sugar into it. Slice up an onion (I cut it into rings, but you can use chopped onion too) and fry it in butter until it's brown and nearly sticking to the pan. Then put in about a tablespoon of flour. Stir in some chicken broth and boil down to desired thickness.

I freaking love carmalized onions but am too lazy to me them haha. But man are they tasty when done just right

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9afImQI1oLJRDFl6DwNuOhHYJDUjWgyyXpNrSmyLO7CiW9OFxP4Eg1ddmCa0TzeR