1 2
tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/21/12 8:49 p.m.
alex wrote: ^^ HalfTrac got it right. 7:3 :: 6:2

I am dumb - I didn't keep track of the new one - thought it was gen 6 for some reason. I'll shrink into my corner now.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
2/21/12 8:54 p.m.

Will- I agree with everything you just said. I also think it's priced out of it's target audience. The Camaro was originally intended to be within reach of youth. Now with the full-zoot Camaro being within just a few bucks of a base Corvette, it's now only in financial reach of mid life crisis guy. Once the charm has worn off, I fully expect mid life crisis guy to go back to the Corvette. And, when you spend the same money on a Corvette, in the end, you get a Corvette, not a gussied up and bloated land yacht.

And I know there are the people who will chime in with "yea well the V-6 has 300hp", to which, in my opinion, is horsepoop. I really don't care that the V6 has 300 hp. If you must have a Camaro, get the V8, or get nothing. There's no way in hell I could make 5 years of payments on "shoulda-woulda-coulda had the real deal, but now I'm stuck with the V6".

BTW, I also feel the same way about the new Challengers

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
2/21/12 9:57 p.m.

So they're going to repeat the designs all over again? If so, I can't wait for a retro 3rd gen

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
2/21/12 10:00 p.m.

they should go full on retro and skip the 2nd gen and go right to what the third gen was supposed to be until that pesky letter writing campaign..:

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/21/12 10:08 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Mazda is unafraid to be inspired. Sure some of what they do is bad but they are hitting good shots on a regular basis. Many of the design elements they are employing are nature based, flowing, and unseen before.

Looks like a really pissed off futuristic Rapide.

That is a good thing.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
2/21/12 10:13 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: they should go full on retro and skip the 2nd gen and go right to what the third gen was supposed to be until that pesky letter writing campaign..:

Is there something about those blacked out headlight buckets that makes anyone else think of those Scream masks or Uncle Fester?

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/21/12 10:15 p.m.
driver109x wrote: So they're going to repeat the designs all over again? If so, I can't wait for a retro 3rd gen

I am with you - I loved that look - my '84 looked pretty good, and it handled great. Well, let me rephrase that. I never autocrossed it or brought it to a track with corners. This being said, if you were man enough to keep your foot in it, the 2-3 shift at around 90 would make it go sideways so far you'd have to counter steer to keep going straight. That's a different sort of handling. It wasn't quite stock.

MarkZ28
MarkZ28 New Reader
2/21/12 10:36 p.m.

I loved the second gen Camaros the best, especially the 70-73, and the 80-81. Never liked the first gen as much and the 3rd gen looked cheap to me at first but got better in the later years, the interior was horrid though with the huge dash, lol.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
2/22/12 1:50 a.m.

Get rid of the zoomies, blower and the caveman graphics and you'd swear that it was jungle Jim's funny car Camaro.

Proof:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/12 7:12 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: they should go full on retro and skip the 2nd gen and go right to what the third gen was supposed to be until that pesky letter writing campaign..:

what a minute.. the Monza was supposed to be a Camaro?

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
2/22/12 7:21 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
what a minute.. the Monza was supposed to be a Camaro?

yup.. Ford came out with the Pinto based Mustang II, and Chevy was going to come out with a Vega based Camaro to compete with it in 1975.. there was a large amount of public outrage and a letter writing campaign, and they called the slightly altered Vega a "Monza" and then they had to use the existing Camaro chassis until they had the next F body ready for production, which didn't happen until the '82 model year.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
2/22/12 9:04 a.m.

Well, FWIW, the rumors in the Ford world is that the 2014.5 (50th Anniversary) refresh will be sans retro styling.

I've heard chatter than the 4-cylinder Ecoboost might be the base-model engine, it would be interesting to me if it was a 2.3L version and we were back to 1987 again (in a good way)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s2vKJhchGRUTbEW5AhzUF7Ar1xJG4CLkg47cTMjlaMZVpdbqP5LxmZuv0pLTNQ7I