Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
12/17/13 6:56 p.m.

I'm looking to buy a slot car set. My kids and I will use it together. It will be 1:32. I'm not really set on analog or digital. Of course analog is more attractive because it's cheaper. I'm not really set on brand. Scalextric or Carrera are the go-to brands. I already bought a Porsche 908 and 917 which are analog and probably convertible.

Can a digital car run on an analog track?

Can an (unconverted) analog car run on a digital track?

Can a digital track be converted to analog and vice versa?

Anything specific to look for?

Anyone have a set they'd sell?

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/17/13 7:48 p.m.

(Commenting solely because I'm curious myself. I had a killer HO set as a kid in the early 80s & remember doing 1/24 and "womp womp" slot cars in the 70s with my dad. Wouldn't mind a set in the basement again.)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/13 8:33 p.m.

My info is a little old, but I'd go with an analog Scalextric set. Keep it simple and have fun. By the way, look for cars that are long and low. The Trans-Am Mustangs and Camaros handle nicely.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
12/17/13 9:05 p.m.

I used to huge in to HO slot cars, I still have a giant 4 lane track in my basement that I will clean up and restore one day. I will do a build thread on it when I do.

Back to the subject of slot cars for kids, I would suggest Carrera Go cars, they are bigger than HO, and take up a lot less room than regular Carrera.

If you want to go HO, there are some good AFX sets, and reproductions of Thunder Jet and AFX xTraction cars are available. I find them more drivable than modern HO slot cars.

I've never used digital slot cars, but I doubt that kids would appreciate the difference.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/18/13 1:06 p.m.

I have nothing useful to add except I had a cheap set from Costco as a kid, that would frequently get dead spots in it. My cousin (who was 5+ years older than me) had a cool older set and many more cars but I dont remember much about it. If I remember correctly they were larger than the cars I had. Mine were the same size as hotwheels and such.

One of my friends from school moved to the US from Great Britain, he had this cool set where you could change lanes with the cars at any point on the track and it just blew my mind.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
12/18/13 1:39 p.m.

What would be the suggestion for HO?

Edit: did not read all of Andy's post. Der.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/18/13 2:57 p.m.

I have a Carrera 1:24 set from about 10 years ago, and a bunch of 1:24 and 1:32 cars of various brands (though mostly Carerra and Scalextric) and have nothing bad to say about any of them. Oh, stock up on the guide flags if you go with Carerra, because if you like to drift the crap out of them they'll eventually break. I think you can get 10 packs pretty cheap.

jde
jde Reader
12/20/13 8:32 a.m.

Jerry, I believe the indoor kart track in Springdale has been running leagues on a 1:32 or 1:24 scale track in their lobby the past couple winters.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/13 8:58 a.m.

Kia Rondo Slot Car would rock!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dB6X9Cw4kTHzq9HchSNvWitpFopNCEqljvUSNyocU1MtwLMqangM7mWyIjv0Nz2s