1 2 3
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/18/14 9:45 a.m.

Dave---- it isn't much of a tow vehicle--- only rated at 3600 lbs. For my small boat, a motorcycle trailer, or other small stuff it will be fine. If I need to tow a car, I"ll have to look elsewhere. (well, I could probably tow a Miata....but even that would be iffy)

Fortunately, I have a few tow rigs at my disposal, so for my needs-- the minivan fits.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/18/14 10:13 a.m.

I do not have any hate for a minivan. The only issue I have is the FWD aspect of it. I owned a proper RWD mini/stunt van. It was the first vehicle I did a J turn in. It was a drift machine. Unstoppable in snow with proper tires on it. Did awesome burnouts and was great on fishing trips. Unfortunately I put some big ol' fat tires on it and I killed it by hydroplaning into a guardrail and then under the trailer of an oncoming semi a week later. But if I could find another one just like that one I would absolutely buy it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/18/14 1:05 p.m.

Really, Joe, this purchase would have been better if it was rear-wheel drive. And a convertible. And could tow at least 6000 pounds. And be SCCA-legal. And only cost $500.

Joe Gearin
11/18/14 1:10 p.m.

What if I just chop the top off and drive it in reverse all the time?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/18/14 1:10 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Everything is better with RWD. You can keep the rest of it.

David S. Wallens
11/18/14 2:54 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: What if I just chop the top off and drive it in reverse all the time?

Needs to be a manual shift, too. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
11/19/14 1:00 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Really, Joe, this purchase would have been better if it was... SCCA-legal.

Wait, you can't autocross a minivan? Color me disappointed.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
11/19/14 6:35 a.m.

In reply to Richard Nixon:

Yeah something about tipping over. Dang safety nazis.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/19/14 7:09 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: What if I just chop the top off and drive it in reverse all the time?
Needs to be a manual shift, too. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Manual shifting makes any vehicle more fun. Even minivans. I still occasionally day-dream about buying an older Honda Odyssey and doing an Acura TSX-S drivetrain swap.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
11/19/14 8:20 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to Richard Nixon: Yeah something about tipping over. Dang safety nazis.

Pffft. Have you watched a FiST on track lately? They come in with scraped door handles from laying over so badly. Race that mom-mobile!!

David S. Wallens
11/19/14 9:30 a.m.
Richard Nixon wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Really, Joe, this purchase would have been better if it was... SCCA-legal.
Wait, you can't autocross a minivan? Color me disappointed.

I was thinking more like it had to be built for a specific class. What, it's not the ringer in STX? Then I'm not interested.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/19/14 10:44 a.m.

There are a lot of people out there driving SUVs whose needs would be better served by a minivan.

The thread title made me think and I counted up 9 cars that I've bought new. I guess I am the guy who takes the depreciation hit for the rest of you. I still have three of them, one was totaled and the other 5 may still exist out there somewhere.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/14/15 11:20 p.m.

Old...but just read it. I have a couple vans (turbo) but am wanting a 2011 or 2012 Caravan. Going to have to lower it a little and add larger swayers though.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/15 9:01 a.m.

At least you're not in denial about what it is. My buddy bought a Chrysler Pacifica. IT'S NOT A MINI-VAN! IT'S GOT FOUR DOORS! Uh...right. It's a mini-van, dude.

With 4 kids, he'd be far better served with a real mini-van. I say the Hell with it, OWN that thing, man.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/15/15 10:42 a.m.

I could use a minivan for work - I deliver a lot of stuff for emergency customer needs - sometimes I struggle getting a 700' of 3/4" air hose into the back seat of my Accord since it will not fit into my trunk. This might be the same concept car as the other pictures.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/15/15 1:55 p.m.

I like.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/18/15 11:31 a.m.

I'd take that one!!!

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
2/3/16 7:56 a.m.

YOU got me thinking, test drove a few vans and I bought one, a 2012.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
2/3/16 7:57 a.m.

The whole van, before my mods....

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/16 9:51 a.m.

In reply to JohnnyBquick:

Nice! I love my '14 T&C...and you can't beat the depreciation on used ones either.

Joe Gearin
2/3/16 9:55 a.m.

Congrats! I still love mine, and it's been flawless in 13K miles of driving. (knocking on wood!)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/3/16 1:32 p.m.

Closing rapidly on 150K miles on my '08. I've almost doubled the mileage in less than 3 years and racing season hasn't even started yet. So far, the big item it needs is front calipers and hoses, but that hasn't kept it from being drivable. Still does the "truckster" job quite well. I can see upgrading to a newer model with the better engine in a few years.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a1UhEI075cwKok2BmyVenS7Mfk4kx4KUGPzIEAnGgYoxPTiYoBh2hLobOWehiI8n