T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/6/17 11:36 a.m.

I bought a Chromebook figuring I'd use it for general web surfing. I guess it will make me consider switching to the Chrome browser on my real computer just to keep things synched up easier. Alternatively, it looks like I could download the firefox app from the google play store, which is what I use on my real computer.

I figure someone here is already an expert on chromebooks and may have some tips, tricks and things to look out for. What say the hive?

Oh, I bought a Asus C302 if that matters.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/6/17 11:38 a.m.

I'm interested in chromebooks too. How do you like yours?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/17 11:49 a.m.

chrome as a browser is getting ready to implement anti ad blocking measures, safe to assume this will extend to the chrome books. As much as I hate Firefox, it might be the better browser alternative.

I am looking for a chromebook for my mom though, so I'll follow along for some advice

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/17 12:19 p.m.

I've had mine for I think 3 years now. It's my daily "couch surfing" device, and it works great for that. I do use Chrome on my other computers, so all my bookmarks and passwords and everything are synced. Mine was a cheap Acer, I forget the model number, but it was $200 and it works great, it's light, the battery life is more than adequate (I plug it in every night). You can tell it's fairly cheaply made, and the screen quality isn't the best, but for browsing forums in the evening, it's great.

Some of the newer ones can run Android apps, too. If I were buying a new one, I'd look for that.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/6/17 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Makes sense that evilcorp, I mean google, would want to block ad blockers. I' just turned the thing on an hour ago for the first time. I'll get the firefox app from the app store and see how it goes. Acess to aps went into the purchase decision, otherwise woulda went with a $200 machine.

Tom_Spangler
6/6/17 1:08 p.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: Makes sense that evilcorp, I mean google, would want to block ad blockers. I' just turned the thing on an hour ago for the first time. I'll get the firefox app from the app store and see how it goes. Acess to aps went into the purchase decision, otherwise woulda went with a $200 machine.

Yeah, I'm all in on Google's ecosystem, so they know more about me than I know about myself at this point! I know what I'm getting into with them, and it obviously doesn't bother me that much, but I can certainly see how it does bother some folks. At the end of the day, I'm getting a lot of great services and software for "free", even though I know that if you aren't paying for the product, you're the product. It's worth it for me, I guess is what I'm saying.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/6/17 1:20 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

If Google is evilcorp, what does that make MS, Shortbus antichrist corp?

Jokes aside, I'm on chrome for all platforms. I even convinced my father to try it when IE stopped working on his laptop.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/17 1:38 p.m.

Our boys have Chromebooks. They're great for surfing the web and other basic tasks, and their battery life is fantastic, especially when compared to our 5+ year old laptop.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/6/17 5:09 p.m.

Tom, agree. Google knows a lot about me as well. I use gmail and a google calendar all time. So, I installed the firefox for android app, and got my bookmarks and such synched. Typing this on the chromebook on firefox. Seems like it works just fine. I thnk I will stick with firefox for now. Not planning on doing anythning with this machine other than surfing the web, watching youtube and maybe streaming movies.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
6/6/17 5:54 p.m.

2 chromebooks and a chromebox. I just use them and they work. Nothing more to say really.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
6/6/17 6:45 p.m.

I looked at Chromebooks a few years ago. Back then, the thing was effectively a brick if you didn't have WiFi, to the extent that you couldn't even watch a locally-stored movie on an airplane.

I bought a $200 beater MacBook instead. Has that changed?

Tom_Spangler
6/6/17 7:37 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I looked at Chromebooks a few years ago. Back then, the thing was effectively a brick if you didn't have WiFi, to the extent that you couldn't even watch a locally-stored movie on an airplane.

I don't know when that was, but mine has always worked offline. I have watched movies on planes with it several times.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
6/7/17 10:32 a.m.

Love mine - got the touchscreen so I can run the whole android app offerings as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0OtPdh80M9fp3o9QlhQtkJngQfKll5hEdesJXTuXA5LBP0bQgdP5q6N9Sec5jbMc