Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 11:31 a.m.
Curtis said:

Thank you for avoiding the gratuitous speedo selfie

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
8/22/19 11:46 a.m.

Do you live in a climate where it freezes in the winter?  I wouldn't mind adding an outdoor tub, but it gets cold in SE Michigan and I'm curious how these things hold up.  

Javelin
8/22/19 11:56 a.m.

In reply to (not) WilD (Matt) :

Indeed, Pacific Northwest. It doesn't freeze much anymore, but it still does. The tub I bought is manufactured in Michigan and is highly rated for below-freezing use. You definitely get what you pay for in the hot tub world.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 12:08 p.m.

Nice! I'm a little jealous.

A hot tub is one of those projects that's beating around my head. I built one from scratch 30 years ago using a 2500 plastic water tank and a bunch of cedar. I'm considering revisiting that project because it was a cool looking tub. Super old school looking. It used a old truck radiator, a pump, and a propane tobacco burner for heat. I wish I had some pictures of it. 

Off to find a used 2500 gallon plastic tank...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/22/19 12:31 p.m.
(not) WilD (Matt) said:

Do you live in a climate where it freezes in the winter?  I wouldn't mind adding an outdoor tub, but it gets cold in SE Michigan and I'm curious how these things hold up.  

I maintained one for my mother, you just keep the thing running through the winter.  Maybe turn the temp down a bit if you are energy conscious. Nothing like jumping out of the hot tub and making snow angles in a bathing suit. 

I doubt I will go for another tub for the same reason I got rid of my above ground poop, I just dont see using one enough to make the juice worth the squeeze.

Javelin
8/22/19 12:48 p.m.

I had two reasons for getting one. First, the house I bought already had one, but it was so ancient that a tree was growing out of it, so one of the closing stipulations was doing something about it.

More importantly though, my cervical spine is messed the berk up from the military and I spend a fortune in copays and out of pocket expenses every year for PT, OT, massage, chiropractic, and injections, just to feel like crap anyway. Hot water does wonders for me and this particular tub is an actual hydrotherapy unit with a seat that has four neck jets that are totally adjustable and customizable. 

My one do last night has me feeling today like I had a couple hours of PT. It's the good hurt as everything tries to loosen up. I'm hoping for some serious day to day relief.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/22/19 2:13 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Off to find a used 2500 gallon plastic tank...

You might only need a 250 gallon tank.

My tub is 8' by 8' and deep. It's only 380 gallons.

I'd bet Javelin's tub is about the same.

Heating a 2500 gallon tub to 100 degrees might hurt the wallet a bit.

Javelin
8/29/19 10:33 a.m.

My tub is 300 gallons.

One week update - I've been in it every night. My average and peak pain levels are both lower. Hopefully that continues. Sleep has been improved as well.

It's ready for visitors this weekend.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/19 8:54 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

You need a 1500-2500 gallon tank to get a 6-8' diameter. You end up cutting a little over half off the top and that puts you in the 500-700 gallon range. The last one I built ended up something like this, but it was easier to take care of because the inside was plastic. There was a 4" layer of foam between the plastic and the cedar for insulation with a 6" cedar cap rail. I even built a wood insulated cover for it. I wish I had some pictures of it. 

Tractor Supply has the tanks for about $800. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/29/19 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Ahh, now I understand...

I thought you were talking about an oval stock tank. Lol.

Javelin
8/31/19 2:25 p.m.

So the first hot tub party happened.

It takes many, many hours of work to clean up all the product that 3 women wear from the tub the morning after.

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson Reader
8/31/19 2:40 p.m.
Javelin said:

It takes many, many hours of work to clean up all the product that 3 women wear from the tub the morning after.

But it;s worth it!  ;)

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
8/31/19 7:36 p.m.

Cool, our house has a pad and hookup but we just have a table and chairs out there.  Tempting but our yard is small and I'd miss the dining area.  Hmm...

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/31/19 8:40 p.m.
Javelin said:

Simple rule. 

Don't wear anything in the hot tub... :D

Javelin
8/31/19 8:43 p.m.
ShawnG said:
Javelin said:

Simple rule. 

Don't wear anything in the hot tub... :D

Who said they were?

devil

Garson
Garson New Spammer
1/29/20 5:39 a.m.

The old hot tub is so old, rusty, and rotten. It's obvious it's not fixable (or at least it's not worth it). I was lucky when I was buying a new home. I had to buy only a new cover for a [canoe] and it could be used. The thread is pretty useful and inspiring. Good luck with yours :)

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/23/20 3:02 p.m.

Hot Tub Canoe Machine!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/23/20 3:42 p.m.

Here I was expecting custom hitches to tow your hot tub home with your 964. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/23/20 5:44 p.m.

"Epic Tub" needs to rebrand as "Word Salad  Tub"

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/2/21 10:13 p.m.

Wiffee and I miss having a hot tub.  Our place in Dallas had one and we used it 5 of 7 days each week for 20-30min.  Very nice way to end an evening.  Need to look into one for the new place.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rm88hPlP3nE0rw9t62gCWbZ04eM6ps8Br4TyMsXMe80lyiT3UxJIhNrYcB4Ewo0N