1 2 3 ... 6
spdracer315
spdracer315 New Reader
4/4/09 1:48 a.m.

...and what can i say about it...its got Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster in it ...not sure about the plot or acting, but its F&F so who cares? a couple non memorable one liners, some over the top driving stunts, and then the credits roll. Yup, thats the movie in nutshell. 4.5/10

geomiata
geomiata Reader
4/4/09 3:32 a.m.

I am a teenager and i enjoyed it. What else can i say. I didn't go to it to see plot or acting, i went to see Vin Diesel destroy some beautiful vehicles and that's what i saw.

I don't get the attitude these movies pick up from car fans. Its not supposed to be art or bulitt 4, its entertainment. If i want to go see a film with plot and suspense and great acting i choose not to go see a Vin Diesel film. Very simple.

So was it entertaining to me? Yes Did i enjoy myself? Yes Would i expect to see plot? No

8/10

MedicineMan
MedicineMan New Reader
4/4/09 8:05 a.m.

I enjoyed it. I actually thought it could be the best of the 4...the plot wasnt real firm but it was definately better than 2 or 3. Most all the action was CGI but better than no car movies at all right! I would reccomend seeing it...this one is more than just civics with "fart can mufflers" and such!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/4/09 10:50 a.m.
MedicineMan wrote: Most all the action was CGI

Gad, I can't stand that.

Hey movie industry--real stunt driving, please...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
4/4/09 10:51 a.m.

CGI cars > CGI People. I can't stand CGI fight scenes. Matrix 2 blew goats.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
4/4/09 12:03 p.m.

I really liked 1 and 2. Even 3 was enjoyable. I'm excited for this one.

redbonechkn
redbonechkn New Reader
4/4/09 6:43 p.m.

More like a Chick flick than the first three Less cars? Yes Slow plot? Yes Crashed Cars? YES Ending that just didn't end the movie? Yes typical F&F movie

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
4/4/09 6:48 p.m.

i enjoyed it and would go see it again, def a good exciting movie, def not a ricer flick either.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
4/4/09 11:25 p.m.

It was a good movie for heckling, I'll give it that.

Makes me want to hook up some NAAWWWWWZ

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/4/09 11:59 p.m.

Meh..

Watch the original "Gone in 60 seconds" or "The Junkman" if you want real stunt driving.

All these movies do is reinforce the "meathead car guy" mentality for all the non-car people out there. That's the last thing we need.

BTW did I mention we've lost all but one of the local auto-x venues here because of NIMBYs who all think we're like the dipE36 M3s in those movies. We're barely hanging on to the last place we've got.

Don't worry, they'll come for you too. Movies like this just add fuel to the fire.

Shawn

spdracer315
spdracer315 New Reader
4/5/09 1:14 a.m.
gamby wrote:
MedicineMan wrote: Most all the action was CGI
Gad, I can't stand that. Hey movie industry--real stunt driving, please...

I agree here 100%. Non of those old car movies had a good plot, or good acting, but i think theyre memorable because of the great REAL driving stunts. Ill admit i enjoy the hell out of the F&F series, including this one, b/c of how ridiculous they are. But maybe as the series has aged, i was just left wanting more, something new, something...quality. Actually, im trying to think of one car movie that is good, meaning good plot/acting/action. There are plenty of movies that have all that that include great car scenes (the bourne series comes to mind), but are there any car specific movies out there?

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
4/5/09 1:18 a.m.

OK, I just saw it too. I loved it! Anyone who didn't love that movie is a communist.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
4/5/09 6:50 a.m.
spdracer315 wrote: Actually, im trying to think of one car movie that is good, meaning good plot/acting/action. There are plenty of movies that have all that that include great car scenes (the bourne series comes to mind), but are there any car specific movies out there?

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.

Not the most exotic cars, but it's all real, non-CGI/undercranked film stunt driving. The plot (for the time period) makes reasonable sense. It has a couple actors you've heard of. The dialogue is dated, but sometimes funny. The underlying theme, for the more cerebral, is much more satisfying than the incomprehensible nonsense that is Vanishing Point. The Impala jumping the drawbridge is simply terrifying to watch if you know anything about 1960s cars and driving. I love this movie and never get tired of it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/5/09 8:23 a.m.

What would it take for a modern day Bullit, or even Vanishing Point?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/5/09 8:47 a.m.

Bah-In Bullit he jumped a few hills and the bad guy ran into a gas station. Old movie stunts are old.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/5/09 8:57 a.m.

ok, but Can't we do better than F&F for a modern car movie?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/09 9:18 a.m.

I always thought LeMans had a good plot and good driving

I actually quite like most car movies just for the fun factor. I think the last non-CGI'd one I've seen was the Dukes of Hazzard remake produced by the Super Trooper guys. That movie was all sorts of win!

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
4/5/09 9:35 a.m.

Gone in 60 Seconds was one of my top 5 all-time-favorite movies. The one with Nicholas Cage. It's right under the Matrix (the first one). If he didn't jump the berkeleying car over a football field worth of cars, I would have appreciated that scene much more. But it was still the best car-chase in my book. (The initial jump and landing were actually real, and N. C. was driving the car).

Ronan had a great car chase.

The Bourne movies had the same car chase three times, but they were still really good chase scenes.

I Netflix'd Bullit a few nights ago. I thought it was a pretty damn good movie. I usually can't watch movies made before 1985, but this one felt timeless. And that Mustang sounded amazing!

I thought the Dukes of Hazzard was great too! I like car movies with little-to-no OBVIOUS CGI. Go Rhys Millen!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/5/09 9:51 a.m.

My favorite part of the new Dukes of Hazard movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25W908awEqg

Great scene and AC/DC was a good choice to go with the driving.

I have all of the Gone in 60 Seconds movies old and new great for automotive action.

Vanishing Point is a good flick based on the exploits of a guy driving a Challenger.

And lets not forget the car movie about the greatest beer run ever. Smokey and the Bandit, gotta love the Trans Am.

Will
Will Reader
4/5/09 9:58 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: The underlying theme, for the more cerebral, is much more satisfying than the incomprehensible nonsense that is Vanishing Point.

I'm glad I'm not the only one baffled by the praise that movie gets.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/5/09 10:32 a.m.

I sorta liked 4 Fast 4 Furious....the acting and plot were obviously to be expected, and some of those "profound" one liners left me rolling my eyes, but aside from that, I liked it.

I especially liked the cars they used in that movie for "US"...the RS200, the Rambo Lambo, among others.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/5/09 3:47 p.m.

There is a reason people come back to Bullitt.

They did make a "new" Vanishing Point for TV in 97. Staring Viggo Mortensen no less. Kowalski is trying to get home to see his pregnant wife. Plot made more sense this time, even with the TV cheesiness.

Two Lane Blacktop is a movie in disparate need of a remake. James Taylor and Dennis Wilson had the acting ability of a 2 X 4. But the 55 never looked so evil.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
4/5/09 4:00 p.m.

I have Two Lane Blacktop on my shelf. It is the black hole of plot. Two Lane Blacktop was one of the few movies where I was looking for something (anything) to do while watching it. At one point the credits were rolling, and I didn't remember the movie ending.

G

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/5/09 4:43 p.m.

Make it three yards motherberkeleyer and you've got yourself an automobile race.

If you don't get vanishing point or two-lane blacktop, no amount of explaining will help.

Shawn

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
4/5/09 4:46 p.m.
Will wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only one baffled by the praise that movie gets.

It did have some cool chase scenes, but Trans_Maro summed up the alleged plot perfectly.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
db5mamBUmHFmghm2YmIWQOGMsRFJNDNIHVXEgbrxXcP1gWq5AuF7ytQveKOpF7oi