1 2
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/21/18 10:00 p.m.

I haven’t seen this mentioned here so I’m going to ask.

https://www.newsweek.com/weed-killer-glyphosate-found-quaker-oats-cheerios-cereal-recall-organic-1075454

The report gives levels of glyphosate of the products tested but no mention of products that are not on the list. Are we to assume that all oat products are unsafe unless they have been tested and passed with no levels of glyphosate? 

Years ago I would not have given much thought to a report such as this. However as a sufferer of  ulcerative colitis for the past ten years and at times an inflamed colon, I don’t need a cancer causing chemical poking the bear in my gut so to speak.

I am very careful what I eat and avoid processed foods as much as possible but some oatmeal and oat products are helpful to controlling/ preventing a flare up.

My limited food menu has shrunk once again.

I would like to hear others thoughts!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/21/18 10:02 p.m.

The gut is a horrible place to keep a bear. On the upside, at least your bowels will be dandelion free, so you've got that going for you.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/18 11:07 p.m.

It was my understanding that glyphosate is so popular because mammals are unaffected by it, kind of like birds and capsaicin.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/22/18 5:49 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

That's what Monsanto wants you to think. Seems like there is conflicting information about it and I have no idea which side is right.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/22/18 5:56 a.m.

whoa boy.

trying to insert the Homer Simpson gif where he backs into the hedge and disappears but as has been noted here lately the media embed doesn't seem to be working.

wink

Knurled.
9/22/18 7:21 a.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to Knurled. :

That's what Monsanto wants you to think. Seems like there is conflicting information about it and I have no idea which side is right.

The EU found no issues with it.  Maybe the chemtrails in the US modify the chemical to something that affects more than plant growth.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/22/18 7:23 a.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Wait, what?  The evidence pointing to glyphosate being a human carcinogen continues to mount.  Monsanto, which makes a huge amount of revenue from the product denies any cancer link.  But you're not sure "which side is right?" 

Maybe I can help.

The IARC released an authoritative study back in 2015:

https://monographs.iarc.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/mono112-10.pdf

A number of countries have already instituted outright bans on the use of glyphosate:

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

None of this is news.  Credible studies that established a definitive link between glyphosate and non-Hodgkins lymphoma have been published at least as far back as 2001.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/22/18 7:50 a.m.
rustybugkiller said:

I haven’t seen this mentioned here so I’m going to ask.

https://www.newsweek.com/weed-killer-glyphosate-found-quaker-oats-cheerios-cereal-recall-organic-1075454

The report gives levels of glyphosate of the products tested but no mention of products that are not on the list. Are we to assume that all oat products are unsafe unless they have been tested and passed with no levels of glyphosate? 

Years ago I would not have given much thought to a report such as this. However as a sufferer of  ulcerative colitis for the past ten years and at times an inflamed colon, I don’t need a cancer causing chemical poking the bear in my gut so to speak.

I am very careful what I eat and avoid processed foods as much as possible but some oatmeal and oat products are helpful to controlling/ preventing a flare up.

My limited food menu has shrunk once again.

I would like to hear others thoughts!

It seems like a fair number of organic oat products are still safe to eat.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/22/18 7:59 a.m.

The original report that showed the Roundup in oats did not mention the quantities.  They were all hundreds, and in some cases thousands of times under what is considered a safe exposure level.  Like, you need to eat a bowl of Cheerios every minute for a decade to approach any sort of dangerous level.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/18 8:02 a.m.

Whew, dodged a bullet on this one. 

They haven't found anything in steak or bacon have they? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/22/18 8:08 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

Stay tuned!  That's probably next. 

After all,

"Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey."

So if your tasty four-legged friend is munching anything that has glyphosate on it, it's probably in there also.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/18 9:08 a.m.

So this environmental group found that these foods contain amounts of glyphosate considered safe by regulators, but not zero and not below their own safe level. If the regulation safe level is indeed safe according to our best scientific knowledge, there's no story here. Gonna eat some Quaker Oats and then check into that.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/18 9:28 a.m.
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/22/18 11:11 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

Bacon contains  sodium nitrite.  known carcinogen regulated by the USDA..

Sorry!crying

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/22/18 11:23 a.m.

Red meat, in general, is in the same IARC category as glyphosate. 

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/18 11:31 a.m.

The reason glyphosate residues are found in grains is due to its use as a dessicant, i.e. sprayed a short time pre-harvest to cause the foliage to dry out, making harvesting more reliable, as all the plants in the field are uniformly dry. This is especially useful in areas prone to a cool, damp fall. Other uses, such as weed control prior to planting, are much less likely to result in residues.

As for the disruption in gut flora, that's not surprising - virtually everything we eat alters our gut flora. Whether that alteration means anything is unknown, and we don't yet have the research tools to answer that question. You'll note that in the Guardian article that the microbiome disturbance is said to be "potentially detrimental" to health, and that those effects are "associated with" a variety of disorders. While this is true, we're a long, long way from knowing a causal relationship in any of these instances. If you start eating more fibre, you will experience a substantial microbiome disturbance, but that isn't evidence of a causal link to any disorder.  If you start eating less fibre, you'll have a substantial microbiome change. If you make any change in your diet, you'll change the microbiome.

I'm not saying these effects are unimportant - they deserve further study. But don't let the conclusions run ahead of the evidence.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/22/18 5:57 p.m.

There are about 35 countries in which glyphosate is banned due to credible links with cancer, colitis, liver failure, and kidney disease.

It's one of those things that I don't get all consipiracy-theory about, but it would be nice if we did a little testing on it and figured the E36 M3 out before feeding it to us and paying off government to endorse it.

I'm kinda in the same place with GMOs

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/22/18 6:03 p.m.

Haha hahaha, organic.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/18 6:29 p.m.

I am glad All the weed in my oatmeal is dead. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/23/18 7:06 a.m.

Glyphosate has been around since the 1960s.  I feel sure if it was carcinogenic, it would have been proven years ago.  This is the first I’ve heard that it is being used as a pre-harvest desiccant and don’t like it at all.  If you think glyphosate is bad, check out paraquat.  

Monsanto would sell Satan’s urine if there was money in it.  They have skirted responsibility for  most of the contamination they caused,  including PCBs and I think agent orange.  

That said, I will still use glyphosate around my yard, just not Roundup.  

Knurled.
9/23/18 3:19 p.m.

I would like to point out that Monsanto's patent on glyphosate is expired, meaning they can't make royalty money off of it.

Monsanto are kind of penisy for plenty of reasons and I don't see glyphosate as one of them.  Now, the concept of patenting DNA...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/23/18 3:28 p.m.

Also want to point out Monsanto was bought by Bayer.  Some of their product lines have sold out.  I’ve spent the last hour reading about Monsanto.  The ag-chem business has become completely incestuous since I left in 1985.  I would have never guessed that DuPont would ever be bought out,  

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/18 4:08 p.m.

I still read the title as "someone put killer weed in my oatmeal" 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/23/18 4:16 p.m.

Sounds like a game winning idea. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/23/18 7:39 p.m.
codrus said:

Red meat, in general, is in the same IARC category as glyphosate. 

Glyphosate is Group2A, Processed meat/red meat is Group1.  Its worse.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AYS5XEUagQ5WOfpk25XNeJNFxHklYs3rbZBkb8bnSKxCKnF0LiGTTL0ca2FaO8fh