JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
8/1/12 7:24 p.m.

Good luck.....

http://youtu.be/zaYFLb8WMGM

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/1/12 7:37 p.m.

Interesting, but it would seem that the test was done with the air lift engaged, exacerbating the severity of the out come.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/1/12 7:39 p.m.

So, it didn't roll over and that's a fail? It got all out of shape yes. You made just about the most evasive maneuver possible at a high rate of speed and a 4X4 lifted a tire? Oh my! Oh, and the Swedish car performed better when tested in Sweden? The worst I saw was a popped tire, not a limping moose and a crumpled vehicle.
Watch close, the Jeep was given a MUCH more abrupt turn-in than the other two cars. It also looks like it's not riding at the ride hight I see them at. And I see WK's all day long, every day. Is this a Swedish version of 60 Minutes?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
8/1/12 7:43 p.m.

Yeah, It was already proven by Auto Motor Und Sport that the Grand Cherokee in the video was overloaded. They did the same tests as Teknikens Värld and it never lifted the wheels off the ground when the truck was loaded to capacity.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/update-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-passes-german-moose-test

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
8/1/12 7:45 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: So, it didn't roll over and that's a fail? It got all out of shape yes. You made just about the most evasive maneuver possible at a high rate of speed and a 4X4 lifted a tire? Oh my! Oh, and the Swedish car performed better when tested in Sweden? The worst I saw was a popped tire, not a limping moose and a crumpled vehicle. Watch close, the Jeep was given a MUCH more abrupt turn-in than the other two cars. It also looks like it's not riding at the ride hight I see them at. And I see WK's all day long, every day. Is this a Swedish version of 60 Minutes?

No clue but seems so.......

You just have to remember the average american driver (all be it you will not see a moose in FLA, but you might have to avoid grandma on her way to get her valium) would probably loose it with a quickness.

I also like the guy with a bike helmet on toward the end lol.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/1/12 8:12 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: So, it didn't roll over and that's a fail? It got all out of shape yes. You made just about the most evasive maneuver possible at a high rate of speed and a 4X4 lifted a tire? Oh my!

+1

My Geo lifts a tire nearly every time it rounds a corner. Not an issue

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
8/2/12 5:53 a.m.

That jeep looks awesome; dominated that "maneuver."

That video would motivate me to get one if I had a need.

Electronics sure have come a long way.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/12 7:32 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: So, it didn't roll over and that's a fail? It got all out of shape yes. You made just about the most evasive maneuver possible at a high rate of speed and a 4X4 lifted a tire?

I think the problem was that it lifted 2 tires...big difference. You can clearly see it going onto the outside tires many times.

GameboyRMH
8/2/12 7:52 a.m.

Everyone who said "it's just tripodding," does this look stable to you?

All questions of the validity of the testing procedure aside, can we agree that this is not a safe and stable state?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/2/12 7:52 a.m.

I see a lot of flag waving here. The Jeep did not look nearly as stable as the other two vehicles, and loosing a tire on an emergency maneuver? That's crazy.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/2/12 8:38 a.m.

blinks Sweden's version of Consumer Reports vs Suzuki Samurai?

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/2/12 8:55 a.m.

I admit, it was NOT stable. But I see that the initial turn in was more severe than the other two, much more. That'll upset any chassis. The right height looked high to my trained eye. Maybe it wasn't, but it looked higher to me.
And like Synthetic posted, it was proven to be a bogus test. When you overload a vehicle and make intentionally abrupt steering inputs that happens.

Full disclosure, I'm a Jeep nut.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/2/12 9:56 a.m.

The up on two wheels was bad but the maneuver definitely looked more abrupt with the Jeep versus the other two. I notice they didn't show them back to back or overlaid, they showed them separated by several minutes of a dude talking. Probably so you don't notice the speed and the turn-in are different.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/2/12 10:24 a.m.

I think I'd be more upset about it popping tires doing an evasive manuever. 7 tires in 9 runs? That's not a good number IMO.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
8/2/12 10:25 a.m.

I'll bet Dateline was jealous. These guys didn't use rocket engines at all.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
8/2/12 10:27 a.m.

You sure Best Motoring wasn't behind this?

njansenv
njansenv Dork
8/2/12 11:35 a.m.

What kind of idiot performs that test without helmets. let alone down riggers?!

yamaha
yamaha Reader
8/2/12 12:02 p.m.

Even if its a bogus test to favorite the home grown cars, it still doesn't change the fact of what the grand cherokee is......a compromise of stuff.

In a related/unrelated way, anyone ever see the video of the rental Ford Expedition making it everywhere a Hummer H1 did at an offroading park?

GameboyRMH
8/2/12 12:12 p.m.

Hummers really aren't great at offroading, especially the civilian models. In terms of clearing obstacles a Samurai with a slight lift and bigger tires would DESTROY one, or a Hilux would beat it too while giving you better person & cargo capacity.

Lightness is more powerful offroad than anywhere else.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
8/2/12 12:41 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Hummers really aren't great at offroading, especially the civilian models. In terms of clearing obstacles a Samurai with a slight lift and bigger tires would DESTROY one, or a Hilux would beat it too while giving you better person & cargo capacity. Lightness is more powerful offroad than anywhere else.

This was completely off the rental lot stock for the Ford, and I think stock for the H1.....

I'll admit, they did require a few more attempts to get through places than the H1.....and the rental ended up pretty effed up.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/2/12 1:23 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Even if its a bogus test to favorite the home grown cars, it still doesn't change the fact of what the grand cherokee is......a compromise of stuff.

Show me a production car this side of the Atom that isn't a compromise.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/2/12 2:14 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
yamaha wrote: Even if its a bogus test to favorite the home grown cars, it still doesn't change the fact of what the grand cherokee is......a compromise of stuff.

Its a road going car with a higher ride height..... My biggest complaint is Jeep claims everything is "Trail Rated" what mostly smooth dirt road did they take this down?

The wrangler, I can understand.....the liberty, compass, and GC, I cannot.....I like Jeep, but refer to them as BC and AC......The older ones actually weren't just a marketing angle.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
8/2/12 2:44 p.m.

I noticed there wasn't any in car footage of the other vehicles either. I would like to see the speedo and the hand work of the driver in the other cars.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/2/12 2:53 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
Its a road going car with a higher ride height..... My biggest complaint is Jeep claims everything is "Trail Rated" what mostly smooth dirt road did they take this down? The wrangler, I can understand.....the liberty, compass, and GC, I cannot.....I like Jeep, but refer to them as BC and AC......The older ones actually weren't just a marketing angle.

The GC did make the Rubicon trail in stock form, that's pretty good. I talked to two engineers that went on the engineering rides to the rubicon in the WK's. They said they were allowed to stack rocks but not avoid obstacles. If you've even been on the robicon you'd know what kind of feat that is. They did admit that the skid plates, rockers and diffs took plenty of rock bashes. Every Jeep was a compromise. Bantam made HUGE compromises to fit within the framework of the government contracts. The compromises started in the mid 40's.
I agree with the compass, patriot, libby, commander though.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/2/12 3:31 p.m.

Just because a vehicle is comfortable doesn't mean it's bad offroad. The GC is a heck of an offroader, just like a Range Rover. Soft and long travel suspension coupled with plenty of torque and low gearing = quite capable.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7abUyxgpk9psbwV1B06Zd8AsIdvjxUBmTOokUihaPoGjLzrwwpvrDl3dNsOX7ph8