AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/19/21 1:20 p.m.

A couple months ago I was refilling my bird feeders from a bag of seed that I kept on the porch. I reached in with a cup to scoop some out and suddenly a little creature ran up my arm and jumped out of the bag. I may have screamed. Since then it has been a war. I tried making a '5 gallon bucket trap', but they managed to avoid it. The small 'spring traps' have been quite effective, but I get tired of disposing of the bodies and need to make sure that they are placed where my small dog will not mess with them.

I was recently buying some mouse repellant to put in my parts cars and came across some solar powered mole stakes. You push them mostly into the ground and they emit a sound pulse that drives away moles and other underground dwelling rodents. It looks like they will work against voles and field mice.

Before I buy them - I want to make sure that the sound pulse will not be a problem for my dogs. Has anyone used these things? Are they effective?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/19/21 1:39 p.m.

Wait, solar oven mole steaks?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/21 1:53 p.m.

My father in law says that the moles find them amusing and use them for May pole dances.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/19/21 2:18 p.m.
APEowner said:

My father in law says that the moles find them amusing and use them for May pole dances.

this. They do not work. The only way you get rid of moles is to get rid of their food source.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
1/19/21 3:20 p.m.

Agreed.  Failboats.  

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/21 4:21 p.m.

Somehow, I read "stakes" as "skates" so I was expecting something like this:

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed.cheeky

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/19/21 5:09 p.m.

Well, so much for that idea. Thanks.

Looks like it will have to be a combination of Skippy for the moles and spring traps for the mice.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
1/20/21 10:30 a.m.

google grubs........my yard is a mess,was considering going scorched earth with the rototiller and new sod , gotta get rid of them bugs first.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/20/21 10:42 a.m.

I don't know much about gardening or landscape but I do know that moles eat grubs and if you get rid of the grubs the moles will head elsewhere.  That is why there is a saying, "you never really get rid of moles, you just trade them with your neighbor."  

So, don't tell your neighbor that you are putting down Grub-X or similar product.  You don't want your neighbor doing the same right away so that you can send the moles over to him.  My neighbor is a golf course.  They treat for grubs and that sends the moles to me.  It has become mandatory to me that I treat for grubs too or I get a golf course worth of moles coming to my yard.  

We just pay for a "yard spray" company to come a couple times a year.  With the golf course as The Jones', I seem to get a lot a dandelions also if we don't spray for that too.  The company service gets them all while helping me look green against a tough comparison of "golf course green."   

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/21/21 7:32 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Theres a good one out there for homeowners called Milky Spores. Do a spring and fall treatment and it lasts 6-7 years usually. It also helps with Japanese Beetles (grubs are their LArva form). We've lost 3 apple trees and one crabapple to them over the years. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bqcw6gxJIqdaTdXnrVMAE4I5wITgOeDE8UCXWDdbUDgy6ApCg2oyGefBL8QcLSzk