Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/6/08 9:52 a.m.

I painted the body these past few days. British Racing Green, AKA Rustoleum Professional Hunter Green. Here's a few pics:

And, I admit it. I have a "L" car problem:

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
7/6/08 10:12 a.m.

Dr. Hess wrote "And, I admit it. I have a "L" car problem: " I dont see that as a problem. The cars look good.I cant wait till I get my new house completed and can get back in the shop. One of my first projects is going to be a Locost. Two questions Doc. 1. If you have a coating on your floor what is it? 2. Did you use any special primer to get the Rustoleum to stick to the aluminum body panels?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/6/08 10:21 a.m.

No floor coating besides dust and paint overspray now.

To get the Rustoleum to stick to aluminum (I experimented): Rough up the aluminum with 360 grit. Wipe down with mineral spirits based paint thinner. A panel I shot like that as my test piece stuck so well, that when I was running low on aluminum for the tunnel and needed to use that panel, I had a heck of a time getting the paint off with aircraft stripper and a DA. Yeah, it stuck.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/6/08 2:17 p.m.

See. This is why I like a forums section dedicated to project cars pics, updates, and such. I don't roam the Off topic but there doesn't seem to be as much good reads on the other section so I would have missed this. I wish the readers rides section was back.

<==The section over there is okay but its not as useful as having a forum for our car pictures.

Nice build though. What are the plans for the engine?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/6/08 4:55 p.m.

Use THIS as your bookmark.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/6/08 7:13 p.m.

I really meant to post this thread in the main GRM section but put it in Off Topic by accident.

Virtually everything else is Toyota. 4AGE 20 valve, T50, Supra LSD, MR2 uprights.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/7/08 12:43 p.m.

you build that garage so you could build the locost?

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
7/7/08 1:48 p.m.

Dr. Hess do you have a pic of the MR2 uprights and weights?

I am looking for uprights for a Middie I am building.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/7/08 3:09 p.m.

Here's a pic of the rear MR2 upright in situ:

Here's a front:

Like everything else on a Toyota, it is not light weight. I don't have the weights handy, but with the iron calipers and brake disks, it is a lot. That reliability has to come from somewhere.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8SWeColAojrlf5nSiz7JQcEm13kaj6JIGHMl3P3Oxptw6Ou2J2P1tuKiDGl36d9M