1 2
Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/17 11:12 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

As a brief aside, why is it that literally no one around here can pronounce Westminster without adding a second I, i.e. Westminister?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
3/13/17 11:27 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to volvoclearinghouse: As a brief aside, why is it that literally no one around here can pronounce Westminster without adding a second I, i.e. Westminister?

Probably the same reason why they all insist on adding a 'w' to "Taneytown", i.e. "Tawneytown" (hon).

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
3/13/17 12:21 p.m.

I'm in the area, between Chambersburg & Waynesboro. Big family, so availability varies, but is definitely possible.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
3/13/17 3:27 p.m.
RedGT wrote: This coming weekend or next-next weekend? March 25 and 26 are big local autocrosses at Hershey Park. There's also, you know, Hershey park chocolate world and Troeg's Brewery right down the street if beer is your thing.

This coming weekend, roadtripping up, getting there on the 18th, and leaving that Monday, visiting some family on the way back down.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
3/13/17 3:33 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
Furious_E wrote: In reply to volvoclearinghouse: As a brief aside, why is it that literally no one around here can pronounce Westminster without adding a second I, i.e. Westminister?
Probably the same reason why they all insist on adding a 'w' to "Taneytown", i.e. "Tawneytown" (hon).

As a kid, having seen the name only on maps, I pronounced it 'Tayneetown' and was quickly corrected to taWneytown. WTF is it 'supposed' to be?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/17 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Double_Wishbone:

I will be around, not sure how busy I'll be though since I'm going away next week. What's on the agenda for your grand tour of Central PA?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
3/14/17 5:07 a.m.
RedGT wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
As a kid, having seen the name only on maps, I pronounced it 'Tayneetown' and was quickly corrected to taWneytown. WTF is it 'supposed' to be?

I lived on the south side of Baltimore for about 5 years back in the early 2000's, and had never even heard of Taneytown. When my wife and I moved back to the area a few years ago, we were looking in the Westminster area and so it (Taneytown) kinda came onto my radar. Like you, I had only seen the name on a map so I pronounced it TAY-nee-town. But every native around here seems to say "TAW-nee-town" (hon). I have no idea how this regional dialect happened, but it's on my list of local mysteries to solve. Possibly its some sort of secret verbal handshake, to quickly determine if the person you're conversing with is a local or not.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
3/14/17 9:44 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to Double_Wishbone: I will be around, not sure how busy I'll be though since I'm going away next week. What's on the agenda for your grand tour of Central PA?

Honestly, it's pretty up in the air right now. We definitely want to get the lay of the land, check out areas people have recommended,see some rental properties, things like that. Of course sample some restaurants.

Still accepting tips/recommendations! We'll be staying one night in Harrisburg and one in Marietta and will probably be pretty mobile during our trip.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/17 8:25 a.m.

I will be in town (Harrisburg work, Carlisle live). Let me know if you want to grab a beer or a meal.

One caveat, that is the beginning of tech week for me at the theater as we have a show opening on the 23rd, so I might not have a lot of free time.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
3/15/17 3:52 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I will be in town (Harrisburg work, Carlisle live). Let me know if you want to grab a beer or a meal. One caveat, that is the beginning of tech week for me at the theater as we have a show opening on the 23rd, so I might not have a lot of free time.

Ok, I'll shoot you a message and give you my number. Hopefully we can make something work.

That being said, does T-Mobile get service up there? I know from past experience on trips they don't get service everywhere.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/15/17 4:13 p.m.

T-Mobile exists but is hit/miss. We fired them a few years ago for that reason.

Marietta is a nice little place, just don't buy/rent right along the river. It floods pretty regularly. There are a couple of good places to eat there but Mount Joy has more choices and isn't far.

I live outside of Elizabethtown. Nice area we are in aside for the craptastic winter weather we are currently 'enjoying'. Easy commute to Harrisburg from E-town or Mt Joy.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/17 5:47 p.m.

Dear God, I didn't realize that Troeg's was in Hershey. Oh I'm down for a gtg there.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/17 11:45 a.m.

Had a great night with Peter and Michelle (or Double_wishbone and Mrs Double_wishbone)

I really hope you like it here and move here ASAP.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
81m0IjjhcW6PGbVYWqr4WjHfFquzpuqhiMdIVJT2MlmYNO4WZEf5sQN8llK5ek17