Ryan9118
Ryan9118 Reader
6/2/08 11:17 p.m.

Is anyone else watching this? Going into triple OT in game 5. Come on DETROIT!!

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 Reader
6/2/08 11:51 p.m.

Weak.....

Nothing to see here people, move along.

minimac
minimac Dork
6/3/08 7:16 a.m.

What a great game! Even though the wrong team won. Officiating really was poor. At least we get to watch one more game....The NBC broadcast team really sucks. Versus was much better. I wish I could still get the CBC broadcasts.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/08 7:26 a.m.

It goes to show you that no matter how well you play you need to be able to push the puck to the net and be persistent.

Go Wings...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
6/3/08 7:48 a.m.

The Penguins plan to drag out the series and make some good TV is going well. After allowing Detroit fans something to feel good about (hey, who wants to live in Detroit right?) the Penguins are now going to win two in a row to make it exciting. Did you see how we waited until just 30 seconds in regulation? Awesome. Or how we tired the Wings out in overtime? All part of the master plan. And its pretty obvious that Detroit only gets past Fleury when he allows them to.

(OK, I am not really a hockey fan, but I had to say something for my hometown team. Can you tell me how you take a puck to the face and then keep playing? Man that had to hurt!)

DrBoost
DrBoost New Reader
6/3/08 8:16 a.m.

Go Wings!!

mtn
mtn Dork
6/3/08 9:52 a.m.

I had already pissed off dad by the 2nd overtime and deemed it prudent to get out of the room. It was a really good game; I thought that Detroit had it in the third.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
6/3/08 11:54 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The Penguins plan to drag out the series and make some good TV is going well. After allowing Detroit fans something to feel good about (hey, who wants to live in Detroit right?) the Penguins are now going to win two in a row to make it exciting. Did you see how we waited until just 30 seconds in regulation? Awesome. Or how we tired the Wings out in overtime? All part of the master plan. And its pretty obvious that Detroit only gets past Fleury when he allows them to. (OK, I am not really a hockey fan, but I had to say something for my hometown team. Can you tell me how you take a puck to the face and then keep playing? Man that had to hurt!)

That's because real men play hockey. They don't take a game off because their arm hurts or some other baseball girly crap.

mtn
mtn Dork
6/3/08 12:37 p.m.
stumpmj wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: The Penguins plan to drag out the series and make some good TV is going well. After allowing Detroit fans something to feel good about (hey, who wants to live in Detroit right?) the Penguins are now going to win two in a row to make it exciting. Did you see how we waited until just 30 seconds in regulation? Awesome. Or how we tired the Wings out in overtime? All part of the master plan. And its pretty obvious that Detroit only gets past Fleury when he allows them to. (OK, I am not really a hockey fan, but I had to say something for my hometown team. Can you tell me how you take a puck to the face and then keep playing? Man that had to hurt!)
That's because real men play hockey. They don't take a game off because their arm hurts or some other baseball girly crap.

Time for my hockey war-story playing a team from Canada, i get checked from behind into the boards. I play two more shifts, get an assist, and then bench myself. Turns out I tore two ligaments in my shoulder, had to be in a sling for 3 weeks.

minimac
minimac Dork
6/3/08 1:13 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: That's because real men play hockey. They don't take a game off because their arm hurts or some other baseball girly crap.

The worse are "pro"basketball players....what a bunch of pussies!. Give blood...play hockey.

boofighter
boofighter HalfDork
6/3/08 3:05 p.m.
minimac wrote: What a great game! Even though the wrong team won. Officiating really was poor. At least we get to watch one more game....The NBC broadcast team really sucks. Versus was much better. I wish I could still get the CBC broadcasts.

have to say that i watch the first and second periods on CBC and then moved over to the NBC feed. the NBC was better. the boy on the CBC have gone down hill and sound like they are not even watching the game. i like having the perspective of Pierre Mcguirre (sp) in between the benches.

i thought some of the calls were a bit weak, you get that in every game, and i loved how the game was back and forth all night. it was good hockey.

Josh
Josh Reader
6/3/08 8:14 p.m.

I picked it up midway through the second when I got bored with the Red Sox game, and I'm really glad I did. I'm not a fan of either team, but I feel like I have to root against Detroit just on principle. I was pretty disappointed when the Wings got back up in the third because Fleury had done so well until then, but he was just standing on his head in the OT periods. Between Gonchar and Malone both coming back to contribute, Sykora calling his shot, and Fleury owning the net, this was a pretty epic game. Definitely one of the best non-bruins games I have ever watched. To be honest it reminded me of game 4 of the '04 Sox/Yankees ALCS when the Sox just refused to lose that game. I would love to see Pittsburgh ride that high right through game 7 and win this series, and I don't doubt it could happen.

mtn
mtn Dork
6/3/08 8:27 p.m.
Josh wrote: but I feel like I have to root against Detroit just on principle.

I feel the same way, but in hockey, at least for me, if it comes down to an original six team vs. an expansion team, the original six gets me behind them.

Locker-room joke we tell (all of us are huge Blackhawk fans), no offense meant to anyone here: Why is Chicago called the windy city? Because Detroit sucks and St. Louis blows, we get caught in the middle.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 Reader
6/3/08 10:52 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: That's because real men play hockey. They don't take a game off because their arm hurts or some other baseball girly crap.
minimac wrote: The worse are "pro"basketball players....what a bunch of pussies!. Give blood...play hockey.

Amen. Why can't they play baseball in the rain? Cause they might get cold and the ball will be slippery? And I can't stand basketball. The guys trip and fall down, and then flop around like a fish out of water having a seizure. Ouucchh I scraped my knee.

I'm bummed Detroit didn't wrap it up on home ice, but it will be fun to watch the Pens fans sulk in their seats if Detroit wins on Wednesday. Those two goalie interference calls were pretty weak, especially the one on Cleary. The only reason the Pens won that game was because of Fleury. He played awesome last night. Otherwise from the second period on, they were pretty solidly outplayed. Any other night and I think that was atleast a 4 or 5 goal performance for Detroit.

If the Pens do come back and win the series, I'm gonna puke when Cindy Crysby raises the Cup.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 Reader
6/4/08 10:48 p.m.

Awesome.

cxhb
cxhb New Reader
6/5/08 12:39 a.m.

most intense last three seconds of any sporting event.

DrBoost
DrBoost New Reader
6/5/08 7:34 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Josh wrote: but I feel like I have to root against Detroit just on principle.
I feel the same way, but in hockey, at least for me, if it comes down to an original six team vs. an expansion team, the original six gets me behind them. Locker-room joke we tell (all of us are huge Blackhawk fans), no offense meant to anyone here: Why is Chicago called the windy city? Because Detroit sucks and St. Louis blows, we get caught in the middle.

Okay, last I checked the Wings ARE an original 6 team. Founded in '26, same year as the blackjokes.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/08 7:44 a.m.

My thoughts:

The last two meetings were the best two games I have seen in a while. Pittsburgh will be unstoppable next year. Amazing play from both benches.

Marc-Andre Fleury is an unbelievable talent.

Osgood deserved the Con Smythe.

European captains CAN win the cup, even with a European team ;)

Welcome back to Hockeytown old friend.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/5/08 9:53 a.m.

After living outside of Chicago, and then Denver for much of my life, I absolutely hate the Red Wings.

That said, those last two games were fantastic. Gotta give a tip of the hat to the Penguins for fighting until the last possible minute. Great endings!

yeah, yeah....and congrats to the Wings.

I still think Chelios looked better wearing a Black Hawks uniform

DrBoost
DrBoost New Reader
6/5/08 11:44 a.m.

gt;

Joe Gearin wrote: After living outside of Chicago, and then Denver for much of my life, I absolutely hate the Red Wings.

That said, those last two games were fantastic. Gotta give a tip of the hat to the Penguins for fighting until the last possible minute. Great endings!

yeah, yeah....and congrats to the Wings.

I still think Chelios looked better wearing a Black Hawks uniform

If I had to watch Lemeux turtle like a sissy and Roy get beaten by Vernon I'd be bitter to. Oh yeah, they lost too <img src="Photobucket" alt="" />

Turtle Imitation

<img src="Photobucket" alt="" />&

maroon92
maroon92 Dork
6/6/08 4:38 p.m.

great game 6!

I thoroughly enjoyed it! Fleury sitting on the puck literally lost them the Cup, but I am a Wings fan, so I loved every second of it.

it has been said before, and I will say it again, Go Wings!!!

Our Preferred Partners
4h4wtryzPN2074JznirlSW4zBoKrq1h6D8fl05sFAFcGUWGsyNRbPE4lQrJ5aq6o