1 2 3 ... 9
infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
2/16/21 5:25 p.m.

Starting a new life sounds like a good opportunity for a new thread - one that begins with positivity instead of a low point in our lives.

T minus 10 days until we get our little 4X8 Uhaul trailer and pack everything in it.  Two days later, on the 28th, we'll be driving from Sebring, FL to Cleveland, OH for a new life!  Both of us in the front seats, 3 sedated cats in the back seats, and the little trailer being towed by you guessed it, a Prius.  I am very excited, as is The Wife.  We haven't really enjoyed our 5 months in Florida, outside of the wildlife.  I'm super excited for snow.  I love snow.  Yes, even Cleveland amounts of snow.

Currently in school studying Computer Networking.  All the classes are online so it works for any schedule.  I'm focusing on starting my IT career here.  We have a great little apartment waiting for us in a quiet Jewish neighborhood (we're both secular Jews) and we can't wait to go for walks with our son  in the nearby park once he's born.

The ultimate goal is to stay here 3-5 years max and build up a solid career in IT and resume and references and then move to Canada, which is where we want to settle and raise our son.  The Wife is going to initially stay home and focus on raising our son, but we're going to get her into some classes as well so she can pursue a career.  Probably in early education.  

I'll absolutely miss hearing the race cars at Sebring Raceway, which is about 2 miles away from me, but I'm pretty excited to move up to the Mistake on the Lake and get buried in snow and have our Prius rust out!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/21 5:45 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Just so you know, you've now been added to my list of people to contact in OH if I need some weird car related item picked up.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
2/16/21 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Deal!  I can't wait for my life to settle down a bit so I can get back into cars.  I'm already daydreaming of the time in the near future that I'll need to get an inexpensive daily driver.  It'll wind up being my next $2K challenge car, and I've already decided it's going to have fender flares and ultra wide tires, no matter what car it is.  Volvo wagon?  Flares.  Another Prius?  Flares.  A car that already has flares?  ULTRA FLARES!

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
2/16/21 6:28 p.m.

Also forgot to mention that we're 13 weeks and 3 days pregnant at this time.  We're going to get another ultrasound this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it.  It's nice to be able to see our son developing from a tiny little dot into a mini-human.

The downside is my wife has to pee constantly, so that'll make the trip up to Cleveland pretty exciting.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/21 7:10 p.m.

Just wait until she decides that the kitchen needs to be painted at 11pm cause yeah just cause.  That's when you know it's time to prep for going to the hospital.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/21 7:13 p.m.

I have lived here my whole life and enjoy it.  Hit me up when you need to know all the food spots.  We have LOTS of really good food.  And extremely affordable housing.  

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/16/21 7:33 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I have lived here my whole life and enjoy it.  Hit me up when you need to know all the food spots.  We have LOTS of really good food.  And extremely affordable housing.  

I had a craving for a good sandwich from Melt the other day... Mmm mm good.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
2/16/21 10:30 p.m.

Cuyahoga natl park is right there. It's a nice place. Hiking, waterfalls, train rides, you'll like it.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
2/17/21 6:52 a.m.

Affordable housing and great food are half of the reasons we decided to move there!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
2/17/21 7:15 a.m.

I am rather impressed about your positive attitude about the move. One of the food tips - you need to try a pannini sandwich. It has a different meaning in Cleveland - these sandwiches include coleslaw and French fries. In the sandwich. Panini's bar in Coventry may have been where it started; not sure if they're still there, but it was a good spot when I was in college.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
2/17/21 9:08 a.m.

+1 for your positive attitude. I realize that it's coming down to "crunch time" before the move. If you're planning to keep the Prius a while, get the bottom  fluid-filmed  before heading north. Also, a set of Blizzaks may be in your future.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/17/21 9:34 a.m.

Good luck and best wishes for a smooth move.  
We lived in Akron for a couple of years and enjoyed our time in the area.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/21 10:16 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

I'll absolutely miss hearing the race cars at Sebring Raceway, which is about 2 miles away from me, but I'm pretty excited to move up to the Mistake on the Lake and get buried in snow and have our Prius rust out!

My 200k mile, 2004 Prius has been a Cleveland Market car all its life.  Surprisingly, it has very little rust compared to its contemporaries like a Mazda3, Civic or a Ford Focus of same duration. 

No, you will not be 2 miles from Sebring but 45 minutes gets you to Nelson Ledges for an ole school vibe on updated pavement.  Just 1.5 hr SW gets you to the excellent Mid-Ohio and 1.5 hr East puts you at the very good, very active Pitt Race.

In other positives, with a baby on the way, your closest hospitals (very close) are real, world class, hospitals.  

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/21 10:17 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Sounds like a Promanti brothers. 

2/17/21 10:32 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Shut your whore mouth with that pittsburgh soggy fry bullE36 M3

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/21 12:40 p.m.

It probably won't be long now before you have something to say about Put In Bay. 

Good luck with the move!

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
2/17/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

From what I understand, the simple act of washing off the underside of the car after driving on salt can reduce rust. I guess another bonus is that most of the underside of the Prius is covered in plastic. 

whatever I wind up getting as a daily beater will absolutely have to be run at one of those tracks. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
2/17/21 3:21 p.m.

Thanks for the positive words and the recommendations, guys. We have almost all of our stuff already boxed up and arranged in a corner of the living room that I measured off as 4x8, so we can ensure everything will fit in the trailer. We'll have room to spare. Really the only large items we own are a loveseat and our mattress, and the day before we leave we'll just put those up for free on FB marketplace. It helps keep the move simple. 

Also we've been throwing our cats in the back seat and going for drives every day/other day, trying to get them used to the car. One is fine, the second calms down after about an hour, and the third freaks out so we have a vet appointment to get some sedatives for them to keep them calm. 

Taking into consideration I'll be driving a bit more slowly towing a trailer, regular pee stops since the wife is pregnant, and a safety margin of a couple hours added in it should be roughly a 20 hour drive. I'll have her post plenty of pictures on our trip. 

Had a phone interview for a job today and it went really well. He recommended me for the next level of interviews, so I'm just waiting on that guy to email me to set up a time. I think there's a good chance I have that job. I still have a few more phone interviews over the next few days as well, including a guy from the Cleveland Clinic veteran's program. 

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/21 6:47 p.m.

Sending positive vibes!

Make sure you have access to the GRM help on the road function, in case you need it. 

To start, I'm in Gainesville, which you'll pass right through. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
2/17/21 7:34 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace (Forum Supporter) :

I have the home stretch, make it to ohio and we'll make sure you get to your new home!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
2/17/21 8:53 p.m.

"Had a phone interview for a job today and it went really well. He recommended me for the next level of interviews, so I'm just waiting on that guy to email me to set up a time. I think there's a good chance I have that job. I still have a few more phone interviews over the next few days as well, including a guy from the Cleveland Clinic veteran's program. "

Great news !!!! be safe, drive careful and most of all enjoy the SNOW!!!!

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
2/18/21 8:21 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

We only speak of Melt in Cleveland. I love Cleveland and visit often. I moved from FL to Cleveland many years ago, still have no interest moving back to FL.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/21 8:39 a.m.

I just want to add that test driving the cats seems like a very smart move. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/18/21 8:59 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Shut your whore mouth with that pittsburgh soggy fry bullE36 M3

Primanti Bros.  Spelling correction (I lived in Pittsburgh for a while too) and just to agitate Pat by another mention in of the joint.  

Pat-you know they expanded and they have a restaurant close to Angry's place?  Just letting you know.  

2/18/21 10:17 a.m.

Primanti yinz is Lame.  Also Melt sucks.  Fight me.  

the real food is in the ethnic neighborhoods.  Pupuserias, Taquerias, middle eastern markets with kebab grills, hole in the wall bbq joints, greasy spoon diners, Asiatown, little poland.  That's the real Cleveland food experience.  If you want the real scoop on food you ask the people who have been living and working in the city forever, not the visitors or suburban people who drive "to the city" aka "going to lakewood or independence so i don't feel uncomfortable seeing non white people but claiming i'm going to the hood to get melt"

when you see an old oil tank converted to a grill smoking out front of a hole in the wall with no tables tended by an old black man in a bbq sauce covered apron in 10 degree weather you know you're getting good food - served in styrofoam with flimsy plastic forks 

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gg9WPBtiPqzyRMHnrJmnQVfMpDwlxaOZG0AySSLBJUuYjZMdT8DSk3jQhiR3gSOJ