1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/28/21 7:13 p.m.

I hope you gave tamarack the bird on the way by.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 8:32 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

Are Ohio troopers still as nasty and prolific as they used to be?

All of my experiences with state troopers have been pleasant.  One memorable time, I was on the side of the road at night paranoid that my lug nuts were loose (the supension was in pieces 90 minutes earlier and I had that "wait, did I torque the wheels?" moment) and he held a flashlight while I went around with the torque wrench.  Turned out he lived in Toledo and autocrossed a WRX.

Mostly, don't be a d-bag, don't park the left lane (they ticket that now! Yes!!) and don't drive with out of state plates, that doubles the fines if you are speeding.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/1/21 10:22 a.m.

We are here. We've unloaded our junk into our new apartment, which is quite nice, and turned in our uhaul trailer. We're buying a mattress right now, and some food, then we'll start unpacking boxes and most importantly, take a nice hot shower!  I'm really enjoying the chilly weather so far 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/1/21 11:21 a.m.

Excellent.  If I remember, tomorrow is your first day at new job.  If it were me, I would take a drive and find the place today.  

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/1/21 3:44 p.m.

Yep, and exploring the area around work as well as our apartment. We're really happy with everything so far. It even snowed for a few minutes!

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/2/21 4:46 p.m.

Some thoughts now that I've been here a day or so:

I like cold weather, but I'll definitely have to get used to 22 degrees

The roads do indeed suck

I had some great Thai food for lunch today. We're heading to buy some groceries right now so I can make my lunch at work from now on

New job is great, my coworkers are great. I'm going to enjoy it here

There are so many beautiful houses here

My wife loves it as well

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/21 5:11 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

It was in the high 50s this weekend.  Rapid temperature swings like that make my body react like I'm sick.  20 all the time, 60 all the time, 90 all the time, all are great, as long as it's not two of them in the span of a few days.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/21 7:42 p.m.

I'm happy that the two of you are happy.  Great job at working the E36 M3 out.

johndej
johndej Dork
3/2/21 7:46 p.m.

Hell yeah! Glad you got all this worked out, best of luck starting a family in Cleveland!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/2/21 8:16 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

Some thoughts now that I've been here a day or so:

I like cold weather, but I'll definitely have to get used to 22 degrees

The roads do indeed suck

I had some great Thai food for lunch today. We're heading to buy some groceries right now so I can make my lunch at work from now on

New job is great, my coworkers are great. I'm going to enjoy it here

There are so many beautiful houses here

My wife loves it as well

Glad the two plus of y'all are safe and sound in CleveBurg......what neighborhood are you currently in may I ask?

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/2/21 8:29 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

We are in Cleveland heights, near Cain Park

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/2/21 8:46 p.m.

Born in east Cleveland .....raised in South Euclid...and I admire your focus on the path forward.....please be safe and enjoy the brrrr balmy weather ....wink

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/21 8:47 p.m.

Sounds like you made a good choice and landed one your feet. Congrats!

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/3/21 4:17 a.m.

Congrats, sounds like things are falling into place. Enjoy the new neighborhood and good luck with the job. You guys have come a long way in a few months, you should be proud of your accomplishments.

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/21 5:19 a.m.

Fantastic news! So happy for you and your wife and soon to be expanding family!

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
3/5/21 12:12 a.m.

Congrats on the new job and locality.

I lived in Cleveland Heights for a few years in the late 90's. We were walking distance to Cain Park and Coventry. Really liked it there. Cain Park had a nice little Arts Festival and a few concerts in the summer. Lots of character in that area and Cleveland in general.

Enjoy!

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/6/21 12:42 p.m.

We went to a sort of pop-up used book store down in Akron and hoo boy I can't wait to post pictures of what I got. My wife just got a ton of baby books for a few bucks. 

We're finally exploring downtown a bit. We drove by the RnR hall of fame and the science center and saw Lake Erie and grabbed a quick bite at a place that had a lot of vegetarian options. We LOVE all the beautiful old brick buildings downtown. We had some excellent vegan takeout from a place right down the street from us last night - a place called Foodhissatva that does a sort of Asian fusion cuisine  affordable and delicious. We're going to spend some time slowly exploring and trying to find the right neighborhood for us - we want the best schools we can get in a neighborhood where we can still afford a house. Northern Shaker seems great but the cheapest houses there are half a million haha. I found one that just needed paint over near Lakewood that was in a fantastic school zone. Maybe university Heights. We won't be even considering a house for another year or so but I like to learn as much as possible beforehand. 

In the future I'm still hoping to accomplish my dream of getting another 911 (I owned a 1978 a decade ago when I was in the army). It'll have to be a 996 since that's the only affordable one left. Even the 928s have gotten super expensive. Fingers crossed. I've set the goal, I'll figure out how much I need and start putting money away each paycheck. 

My wife commented earlier today that she's a lot happier here in than Florida. That's what's important. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/6/21 2:38 p.m.

I don't want to flood this with too many photos but I could easily take two dozen and that would have our scratch the surface. I wish I could post every page. For the record, I bought this book and these four magazines for $3 total. 
up first, Porsche, Portrait of a Legend. It's a big book, 15" tall and an inch and a half thick, nearly 300 thick pages and full of beautiful photos from Porsche's past. Me being a Porsche fanatic, this is pure gold. 

the new photo uploading mechanism seems to be screwing with the aspect ratio of the photos. My apologies. This book has some amazing photos from their recent history, and goes all the way up to the late 80s/early 90s. It'll be fun to read through. 

And now the real gems!  These were 50 cents each. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/6/21 2:42 p.m.

Ugh, the new photo uploading GUI is awful and keeps uploading the damn photos sideways. Here's the other three magazines 

I would like to emphasize that these magazines are in excellent condition. 

And my favorite one, where they tested the brand new 911 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/21 3:07 p.m.

Congrats on the move!!  I was kind of following your old thread hoping for the best.  I kind of dropped off-grid for awhile, so I'm catching up abit .  I used to live in Cleveland Heights and South Euclid, and would ride my bike to school/work (CWRU, then UH).  Now 25 years later, I'm working at UH again but live in Medina.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/8/21 9:26 a.m.

I've been doing some reading online and a bit of driving, trying to learn about all the Cleveland area cities/neighborhoods. I'm trying to find that unicorn - a city with low crime, great schools, and affordable housing, while being a reasonable drive to my job downtown. I really like the neighborhoods I've been driving through in southern Cleveland Heights, but the city has high property taxes and mediocre schools. The goal is to purchase a house when our one year lease is up. We drove through shaker heights over the weekend since I had read great things about it and it seems to be either a slum or full of mansions with no real in between. I guess next on my list is the university heights/Solon/etc area. Seems every 1/2 mile is a new city here. It's strange. I also want to check the west side. I've read Westlake is a great area but it's a matter of affording a house there. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/8/21 10:34 a.m.

Also a bit of reality had to set in: I still have the dream of moving to Canada and I truly want that, but after looking at house prices I don't think it will become a reality, unless my paycheck increases exponentially over the next five years. It's difficult to find a house under half a million up there, unless I live in the middle of nowhere. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/8/21 11:37 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

Also a bit of reality had to set in: I still have the dream of moving to Canada and I truly want that, but after looking at house prices I don't think it will become a reality, unless my paycheck increases exponentially over the next five years. It's difficult to find a house under half a million up there, unless I live in the middle of nowhere. 

Yeah, there's a lot of space up there, but most of the population is crammed pretty close to the US border, so I'm sure that doesn't help prices.  Also, comparing with Ohio is kind of unfair, as we have pretty low housing prices compared to most of the US.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
3/8/21 12:02 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Even with the exchange rate I could understand higher prices, even something like $250k for a modest little house, but $500k for a starter home?  Pretty nuts. 

Although I'm learning if you want a safe neighborhood and good schools, the low prices Cleveland is famous for start to fade away. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/21 1:14 p.m.

Don't get discouraged about the housing.  I gave just a quick look but here is a house in Fairview Park (west side suburb)

$154k 3 bed 2 bath w/ basement.  Small at only 1,000 sq ft without counting the basement.  I question if it is really 2 bath but hey...  This is  a quaint, Westide suburb neighborhood.  Taxes and all this will probably cost you $1k house payment per month.  

Street view, the house before the red car: 

The major downside is this is 12 miles and 19 minutes from downtown or 19 miles and 30 minutes to Cleveland Heights

In general, I would say this house is over priced but like I mentioned I only gave a quick look.  The moral being that $1k per month should buy you something.  

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LMBlnGcbmwFH8Q9WVfWLhbZ6LvmwfYKGGR2yIUYcr8ew3gFI9ej0DlimbkN6QzE0