1 2
dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/26/12 10:00 a.m.

So I got a promotion at the new job (yeah!) but it requires me to be on my feet the whole day (8hrs) . It also requires steel toe boots/shoes. The current pair of boots I have were fine before because I had time in the day to sit and get off my feet. Now though the same boots are killing me and causing me to have back pain. There's just not enough support and cushion for my feet.

Anyway I was hoping someone here has a good steel toe shoe that will provide better support/cushioning for my feet.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks Dan

alex
alex UltraDork
8/26/12 10:07 a.m.

When I worked at the motorcycle shop and stood on concrete 8 - 10 hours day, I wore side zip tactical boots designed for police work. They feel like athletic shoes but offer a fair amount more protection. Try a few brands to see which bed suits your feet the best. I liked Bates personally. Tons of them are available with steel toes - or composite, if you can get away with it.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/26/12 10:15 a.m.

I wear composite toe Keen Portland boots at work. They are very comfortable

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
8/26/12 10:18 a.m.

I've been wearing Timberland Pro boots for years. I also put Scholls inserts in them.

I've got flexible arches and I can't stand on concrete for any length of time without my feet hurting. Except when I wear these boots. I can stand on concrete all day with them.

I know it may be counterintuitive, but I've always found that stiff boots are more comfortable over time than "soft" shoes like athletic shoes.

I'm sure there are other boots out there that will work or may be even better. These have been good to me, so I stick with them.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
8/26/12 10:30 a.m.

I have had good experience with both Red Wing and Terra boots. Red Wing comes in a wack of sizes to fit you precisely. Terra is WalMart affordable.

rotard
rotard Dork
8/26/12 10:35 a.m.

I'll say that a good pair of boots is worth what you pay.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
8/26/12 1:49 p.m.

I have been wearing Timberland Pro for the last few years but this year I am going to try KEEN. I love their shoes and sandles and the Timberlands insoles or soles always wear out long before the boot it self leveing me with no sole or sore feet. I like them for the 1st 6 months so if you can afford to replace them or get good insoles every 6 months Tims might work.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/26/12 3:17 p.m.

Thanks for the replies , guys.

I ran out and bought some dr, scholls inserts that are designed for lower back pain. We'll see how these do before I drop major coin on new shoes/boots. The boots I currently have are navy issue boots my brother gave me before he went over seas. I'd like to try and keep them if possible.

Dan

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/26/12 3:45 p.m.

i've been wearing doc martens industrial boots for a long time now. my first pair lasted 4 years every day and i still have them for garage beaters. i replaced them with the same thing. i get them from dmusastore.com when they are on sale or clearance.

i am on my feet in those boots 10+ hours a day, up ladders, etc... and don't have any problems with them.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
8/26/12 6:45 p.m.

My last pair of Red Wings was custom made for me. I like a stiff shank and they ordered them specifically for me with their mid-level stiffness ones but with the carbon fiber puncture layer added which stiffens them back up a bit.

You need to go to a boot store with old guys who have been doing it for years. Look in the yellow pages for a cobbler, seriously. Go, try on several pair, and get an education. Expect to shell out $200+/- but it will be worth every penny if you get the right pair.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
8/26/12 7:24 p.m.

Not really applicable to the op but I have an issue I'm going to piggyback on his thread.

I've been hooked on made in the U.S.A Chippewa for a long time. Currently about halfway through my estimated life expectancy on my third pair.

The problem that I'm having is that they don't breath at all. I have the worst case of whatever nasty skin thing that I've been fighting for years. The front of my anlkles a basically raw and ooze nasty all day. I know it's disgusting. They itch and drive me crazy.

I work outside in all weather conditions and they have to be waterproof. A couple of weeks ago I got into a mud hole first thing in the morning and my feet stayed wet all day. I'm still trying to get my ankles healed up.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a boot that will breath and is waterproof?

Sorry for the nasty part.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/12 7:34 p.m.

This is my recommendation. I wore this model for over ten years in the dealership. My feet never hurt. Fat guy approved! http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2408-red-wing-shoes/2408-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown

jamscal
jamscal Dork
8/26/12 7:55 p.m.

I wear the 2406 redwings (same just slightly shorter than the above link) and love them.

On my feet all day.

Expensive but worth it.

-James

mrjoshm
mrjoshm New Reader
8/26/12 7:56 p.m.

I have only ever worked on my feet, and I am also a skate shoe enthusiast so I like my stuff wide and comfortable. I started about 7 years ago in 6" Timberland pros and they were great. From there I went with Timberland's line of hiking style steel toed low-cut boots, each lasting about one year. However, my last pair were Dickies steel-toed leather skate shoes. I put inserts in those and they were, by-far, the most comfortable work shoes I ever wore. They are now worn out and I am working a new job were steel toe, steel shank, and metatarsal would serve me best, so I'm about to drop serious money on some Carolina 508's made in USA (hopefully they make it two years).

That was long, but... either way, I never really expected work boots to last more than a year in actual working conditions and every pair cost up and over $100. Nature of the beast, just spend the money on something you know you'll be comfortable in and your feet (and back) will be happy.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/12 8:01 p.m.

Thankfully I don't need steel toes but I wear boots all year. I stand almost all day and can get about six months on a pair of sketcher boots with Dr School's gels. If you are fat don't do too much jumping with the inserts. I had to hop off a stuck wheelchair lift and had a blowout.

mrjoshm wrote: That was long, but... either way, I never really expected work boots to last more than a year in actual working conditions and every pair cost up and over $100. Nature of the beast, just spend the money on something you know you'll be comfortable in and your feet (and back) will be happy.

I've made that mistake a few times. I had a homeless guy ruin a pair of my boots and got a cheap pair of Payless shoes to finish the day. By the time I got home my knees hurt so much I didn't think I'd make it off the train.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/26/12 8:31 p.m.

I definitely don't mind spending the cash just don't wanna spend it on crap. Appreciate the info. Time to hit the Google!

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
8/26/12 8:37 p.m.

Started with Terra, tried Timberland Pro and I'm back to Terra. They last longer and fit my feet better.

Try a bunch of stuff on.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
8/26/12 9:03 p.m.

Redwings, on my feet all day on concrete, outside in all kinds of weather. I wear the 2231 Pecos slip on . After they get broke in they are as comfortable as house slippers.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/24/18 12:05 a.m.

Ive owned many pairs of boots but somehow cheapy Herman Survivors(walmart brand not to be confused with the original) have lasted the longest and were the most comfortable.

Im loathe to get rid of them even though ive worn out the toes and you can see the steel toes because they are so comfortable. $45 and have lasted 3 years in concrete

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/24/18 4:06 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/24/18 6:32 a.m.

Who knew zombies were concerned about toe protection?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/24/18 7:58 a.m.
T.J. said:

Who knew zombies were concerned about toe protection?

They were hoping to find some severed feet for desert.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
8/24/18 2:09 p.m.

My Justin boots with the vibram sole are hands down the most comfortable pair of footwear I own

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/18 2:19 p.m.
T.J. said:

I wear composite toe Keen Portland boots at work. They are very comfortable

+1

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/24/18 3:14 p.m.

Lol i didnt even look at the date

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.