1 2 3
bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/15/08 11:44 a.m.

Wish we had Yeungling here. Locally the ones I like best are Stella, Oberon, and Sierra Nevada Pale. If I'm going cheap, Rolling Rock or Labatt.

So I won't be sad to see Bud get bought out.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/15/08 1:42 p.m.
mental said:I was just in Atlanta over the 4th and had a "Sweetwater" which is a local brew, that was a surpringsinly good beer.

I don't even know you anymore. Oh, and thanks for calling, dick.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/15/08 1:49 p.m.

Gosh, what ever happened to Dixie? Just the other day I was looking for something to wash the dog poop off my shoe with.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/15/08 2:04 p.m.

why doesnt Yuengling get its E36 M3 together and start shipping to michigan, we love micros. Bell's is the best thing going around here.. I wish they would filter though, the 1/8th inch of death at the bottom is such a waste of beer.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/15/08 3:16 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
mental said:I was just in Atlanta over the 4th and had a "Sweetwater" which is a local brew, that was a surpringsinly good beer.
I don't even know you anymore. Oh, and thanks for calling, dick.

I literally got in at midnight on the 2nd, met my brother for his birthday on the 3rd, ran the Peachtree and headed back out.

In 3 1/2 years I am gonna be back home annoying the hell out the whole Hong crew, especially since I'll have summers off.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/15/08 3:16 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Gosh, what ever happened to Dixie? Just the other day I was looking for something to wash the dog poop off my shoe with.

It probably met the same fate as this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_White_&_Blue_Beer

We drank this crap when I was in high school because it was dirt cheap ($1.25 a six pack, IIRC). Its only saving graces were the first sip caused your taste buds to go into shock meaning you could no longer taste it and it had enough alcohol to impart the desired effect.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/15/08 3:20 p.m.

I'm not going to get worried until I see that Pabst Brewing Co. has sold out. You can't do better'n PBR for cheap 'murican beer, and the can even has red, white AND blue.

Seriously, it's good beer. Really.

Margie

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/15/08 3:30 p.m.

Well, Margie, according to that wiki (which we all know are accurate):

(Miller has taken over most of Pabst's brewing operations) include the brand on their current rosters, and Red White & Blue Beer is presumed to be out of production.

So that means that they already sold out to South African Breweries PLC which owns Miller and it's too late already.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/15/08 3:36 p.m.

I love Hacker Shore (Spelled wrong intentionally, I cant remember how to spell it right at all) . Its really, really good. I also really like Miller Light. I tend to buy alot more of the ML because it is much cheaper.

But, at the same time everyone busting on lagers and such drive me nuts. Its the same as people beating up on American cars. Just another way to put yourself above the rest of the masses.

Joey

Marjorie Suddard
7/15/08 3:45 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, Margie, according to that wiki (which we all know are accurate):
(Miller has taken over most of Pabst's brewing operations) include the brand on their current rosters, and Red White & Blue Beer is presumed to be out of production.
So that means that they already sold out to South African Breweries PLC which owns Miller and it's too late already.

Damn. Still tasty. And I know Red White and Blue is gone--I was talking can colors.

Margie

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/15/08 4:02 p.m.

PBR is surprisingly popular here in Portland, I didn't even know you could get it anymore until coming here, it's the cheap beer of choice here I guess. Personally, I'm not a fan.

Bryce

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 4:06 p.m.

Why would anyone drink PBR in Portland? Portland is the micro-brew capitol of the U.S.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/15/08 4:10 p.m.

'Rednecks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer.' YeeHAW!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/15/08 4:57 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Why would anyone drink PBR in Portland? Portland is the micro-brew capitol of the U.S.

Because PBR is a refreshing hot day beer, while microbrews generally taste like someone cleaned the sludge out of the drain traps?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 5:08 p.m.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/15/08 5:11 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Why would anyone drink PBR in Portland? Portland is the micro-brew capitol of the U.S.

I think that's part of the reasoning...it's weird to drink PBR anywhere, but especially in Portland, and Portlanders really try to be weird. That and it's the cheapest thing you can buy. For being such a micro-brew place, I sure had a hell of a time getting anything locally made for the kegerator a couple weeks ago, I ended up going with plan D...a Coors product (Blue Moon). Before that I tried three local popular breweries and everybody was sold out, serves me right to want a keg right before the holiday weekend.

Bryce

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/15/08 5:17 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Because PBR is a refreshing hot day beer, while microbrews generally taste like someone cleaned the sludge out of the drain traps?

You're crazy. PBR is punishment for shoplifting in some places.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 5:21 p.m.

My friends in Eugene had a case of PBR that someone had left over from a party. No one was drinking it, so I figured I would give it a try, just to try it. I got through two sips, then dumped it down the drain. I was actively repulsed.

I've tried Bud Light. It wasn't bad... It was just like carbonated water, with a bit of beer-like flavor. I wasn't repulsed but there just was no reason to drink it.

Josh
Josh Reader
7/15/08 5:44 p.m.

Portland is full of hipster ninnies who drink PBR because they think it's humorously "ironic" for trust-funded layabouts such as themselves to drink a historically working-class beer. Plus it's the cheapest way to get loaded at most bars - getting hammered on Stella or Anchor Steam isn't typically too cheap.

Although I must admit, if I have a few in me I don't actually mind the PBR. It's a less offensive alcohol delivery system than Bud Light. But generally, just give me some kind of craft-made Stout or IPA, depending on mood.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 5:47 p.m.

Wait... are we talking Portland OR or another Portland? I'm talking OR.

Marjorie Suddard
7/15/08 6:00 p.m.

Oh, please. It's beer, not a personal manifesto. As Dave said, PBR is outstanding on a hot day. And cheap. Anyone who gets more than that out of a beer--ANY beer--is probably an easy target for all kinds of crap. Here, have a cigarette... it makes you look cool.

Margie

Mike_M
Mike_M New Reader
7/15/08 6:10 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Oh, please. It's beer, not a personal manifesto. As Dave said, PBR is outstanding on a hot day. And cheap. Anyone who gets more than that out of a beer--ANY beer--is probably an easy target for all kinds of crap. Here, have a cigarette... it makes you look cool. Margie

Thank you, Margie, for being the voice of reason. I tend to find that the absolute best beers posess only two qualities: cold and free. If they aren't free, cheap makes a decent substitution.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/15/08 6:27 p.m.

What kind of cigarette Margie? I'm not smoking any of your girly Virginia Slims, those wouldn't make me look cool! FWIW, I wouldn't say disliking PBR is saying you live your life by the book of snobby beers...that's like saying that you're a snob if you dislike 60s Dodge trucks. As everybody has said, it's cheap, there's no other reason anybody would drink PBR...if it was twice as much money they'd find the next cheap beer they disliked the least.

Bryce

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/15/08 6:35 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Oh, please. It's beer, not a personal manifesto. As Dave said, PBR is outstanding on a hot day. And cheap. Anyone who gets more than that out of a beer--ANY beer--is probably an easy target for all kinds of crap. Here, have a cigarette... it makes you look cool. Margie

I'm not above eating wallmart meat but given the choice... grassfed organic beef from whole foods tastes better..

stop trying to be the rev jesse jackson of the forums.

Josh
Josh Reader
7/15/08 6:36 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Wait... are we talking Portland OR or another Portland? I'm talking OR.

I know you were talking OR, not ME, but the truth is I could be talking about either Portland. Both are microbrew havens, and both have their share of PBR drinking hipsters :).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tplr2CkyzdN6vXYRSUsxWgmlcFZQpY1Kc6AV3WCn7iVGZlXOezeK0AVZYPYD7tlS