noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/19/18 8:40 a.m.

headed over to the local Home Depot to grab a few things yesterday.  Leaving, I saw a unmarked Nissan going up and down the lanes at a pretty good pace.  I first I thought it was some yahoo looking for something to grab or a Uber driver looking for their fare.  Then I noticed that the back of the car had 4 OCR License plate readers attached. Can't figure out if the local LEO has contracted out some of their work or If a repo man is just looking for cars.  Stupid story, just wondering if anyone might have an idea what might be going on

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/19/18 8:42 a.m.

Obviously, they are tailing you.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/18 8:43 a.m.

Private party repo man. 

He has the car wired with internet. The readers scan plates in popular places. If the reader makes a hit he will follow the offender and call in his company wrecker to pick it up. 

wae
wae SuperDork
12/19/18 8:50 a.m.

Yep, repo man looking for cars to tow.

Also, there is absolutely no regulation concerning what license plates he can scan, tag with a GPS coordinate and timestamp, and put in his database.  And if he does store that information, there's no regulation on what he can or cannot do with that data or with whom he can share it.

Generally speaking, not a huge fan of ALPR in its current regulatory state...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 8:55 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/18 8:59 a.m.

I guess a 4 door Versa sedan is the modern interpretation of a 4 door '64 Malibu. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/19/18 9:10 a.m.

Could be a lot of things.  Repo is one possibility.  Could also be for databases that track vehicle locations by license plate. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/19/18 9:16 a.m.
wae said:

Yep, repo man looking for cars to tow.

Also, there is absolutely no regulation concerning what license plates he can scan, tag with a GPS coordinate and timestamp, and put in his database.  And if he does store that information, there's no regulation on what he can or cannot do with that data or with whom he can share it.

Generally speaking, not a huge fan of ALPR in its current regulatory state...

Having dealt with a lot of repo agencies, most of them are either (A) too scared of the possible repurcussions of this, as they have too many large clients that would drop them, or (B) too stupid to figure out that they could store this information and sell it. Obviously that doesn't encompass all of them which means it is a glaring problem.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/19/18 9:40 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I guess a 4 door Versa sedan is the modern interpretation of a 4 door '64 Malibu. 

I can only wonder how many will get that reference.  Probably more than a few.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/18 10:00 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I may have screwed up the reference. 

The '64 Malibu was the target car to get repo'ed.

The repo men themselves drove a' 71 Impala so in this instance the Versa is the modern interpretation of a '71 Impala. Not as good. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/19/18 10:46 a.m.

Come on Otto... let's go do some crimes.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
12/19/18 11:45 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Repo man or shady government surveillance activity? Actually it's both:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/the-surprising-return-of-the-repo-man/2018/05/15/26fcd30e-4d5a-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html

In short, they're vehicle-borne versions of the Gargoyles from Snow Crash.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/19/18 11:46 a.m.

Let's eat sushi and not pay

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/19/18 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

I blame society!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 1:11 p.m.

The parking garage company when I get the train uses them to see who paid for a space.  Instead of walking all the lots checking tags on mirrors the attendant just drives through them.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/19/18 3:28 p.m.

The city police drive around you here to catch expired license plates at $550 a crack.

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
12/19/18 4:11 p.m.

Seems like a good opprotunity for some good old Johnny drop'tables vanity plates. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jkaxUL7gTrSjhstVIJnS3dWzQoDYGAjGalVCkVadrjdcN60QQx5wXjWpaO48t4gp