pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/7/20 9:28 p.m.

Nay.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/7/20 9:29 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

Though, I am left to wonder will wet t-shirt contests with facemasks then lead to a cure for "butter face"?

What masks are you talking about?

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
8/8/20 12:13 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I just like that "ProDarwin" is commenting in this thread. Seems strangely appropriate. 

I'm pro Darwin as well, but anti-killingthroughwillfulignorance.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/8/20 3:33 a.m.
D2W said:

I'm curious to know, are you guys saying no because of Covid or no either way?

I have no real interest in going, but I have to say the party looks interesting.

Not my scene... but if it weren’t for covid I wouldn’t even “vote” in this. You do you, except when you doing you continues to keep me from doing me. And this year, any large gathering, especially without masks - and this is a LARGE gathering with a demographic that has appeared to me to eschew recommendation for Covid - keeps me from doing me longer. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/8/20 9:20 a.m.

Nay, but I wouldn't anyway.

Pretty part of the country to go at a different time of year.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/8/20 10:10 a.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/8/20 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

No way. Not a political statement but a heath statement. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/20 11:28 a.m.
Donebrokeit said:

Yup!

You could go to work (yuck) and still get the sniffles. 

What's this work thing you are talking about? I have been on Furlough since March 16.  

And I agree with the above, way too many people for my tastes on a normal year, I live in NJ, I know all about COVID, no way in hell I would go this year.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/20 11:34 a.m.

Nay, any year. Especially now.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/20 11:38 a.m.

Nay. Went to Bike Week in Daytona a couple of times, primarily to see the Superbike races at the speedway. The downtown, Harley stuff did nothing for me. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/8/20 12:32 p.m.

Nay here as well.

Semi-related question.  The young ladies who enjoy perching on the back of sport bikes and exposing their assets for the world to appreciate.   Are they the same ones who "graduate" to wearing the same attire on the backs of Harleys but pretty clearly umm "higher mileage chassis"?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/8/20 12:34 p.m.

I am not sure you could come up with a better test of the transmissibility and morbidity of this thing than this.  I really hope some researchers are going to watch this carefully (normally this would be highly unethical)

- High risk subjects (generally older, overweight, drinkers, stereotype I know)

- High transmission environment (heavy crowds, drinking).  If we could get them to congregate mostly indoors, that would highly encourage transmission.

- Come from around the country, many from high density population areas.  Pretty much assuring at least a few will be very transmittable (who could easily infect thousands)

As a bonus (!) the study is being conducted in an area with very little hospital or ICU capacity with hundreds of miles

I do wonder if the group setting this up is required to have insurance, because I cannot imagine any insurance company being OK with this (yes, they voluntarily are doing this, but that never stopped a lawsuit).

As a bonus to the rest of us, most will likely not show symptoms until after they leave, so they will be bringing it back to their home towns...

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
8/8/20 12:42 p.m.

You would think that a full coverage motorcycle helmet would be better protection than a mask. But aren't these the guys who are always fighting helmet laws and asserting their right to go bareheaded on a bike.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
8/8/20 1:04 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I think a lot of the corporate sponsors who would need insurance have dropped out. The city doesn't want them to come. There is a campground still promoting it. Not sure what kind of insurance he has.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/8/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Difference is not wearing a helmet only hurts them.  Not wearing a mask hurts others

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/20 3:01 p.m.
aircooled said:

As a bonus to the rest of us, most will likely not show symptoms until after they leave, so they will be bringing it back to their home towns...

This, with cherries on top.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
8/8/20 5:37 p.m.

One year I made the mistake of going to Myrtle Beach during bike week. Wild horses couldn't drag me to this event without corona. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/8/20 6:13 p.m.

Did not start this with the purpose of debating the wisdom of people who attend. Was merely trying to gauge the level of awareness and common sense on this board.

Not a biker, but been to the rally as a spectator. It  really is worth attending as a display of Americana and some awesome street food and adult beverage consuming opportunities. It is fun. People watching at it's peak.

But this year? A lot of the attendees came from a long distance at great expense so that they could bring back a potentially fatal disease to their loved ones.  There should be a T-shirt for this.

And sorry, I just negated the first sentence of this post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/8/20 6:25 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

Yes sir

daeman
daeman Dork
8/8/20 6:26 p.m.

Yeah nah.

Yeah, I'd love to go, seems like a great party, plenty of people of all walks of life, some impressive machinery (some total garbage too, but that's any car/bike show) and some interesting sights, but...

Nah, not this year. 1 I wouldn't be able to get an international flight even if I wanted to. And 2, if people worried more about their personal responsibility and safety a little more and worried about their personal freedom and rights a little less just for a while, this whole thing might actually have a chance of dying down and allow everyone to get back to some semblance of normality a little sooner.

The world can't stay shut down forever, and there'll always be another opportunity in the future

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/20 7:14 p.m.

Nay during C19

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
8/8/20 7:40 p.m.

I like all kinds of motorcycles but I won't be going. I have relatives in Rapid City who will be running for cover from this.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
8/8/20 8:41 p.m.

Laconia NH bike week was cancelled for its normal June run and rescheduled for August 22nd  through 30th.   The organizer’s website indicates the normal vendor venues have been eliminated and will be limited to non profit groups.   Laconia has been in noticeable decline over the past few years, it will be interesting to see what kind of turnout they get given Covid. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/8/20 8:50 p.m.

Even pre-covid, I can't think of something that I'd be less likely to go to.

Furthermore, if for some reason I got a brain transplant and decided I liked big slow expensive motorcycles, no way in heck I'm going in the middle of a pandemic. I prefer that my stupid death is from going really fast, not from standing around in a crowd.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/8/20 10:35 p.m.

Hell to the NAY, especially right now. 

That said, I'm not a bike guy. I have no desire to go to an event like this when there's not a pandemic. I mistakenly went to Funspot in NH (a giant arcade full of rare classic video games and other stuff) during Laconia Bike Week once, and that was not something I want to do ever again. Sturgis is that x1,000,000, so that's gonna be a no from me, dawg. 

1 2 3 4 ... 7

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
kqEuBl32pCe8lTPHOuvCUvsT64r4P84l7PE1JeEvL2G2oNA7FIzgcwueOD3RJVgc