Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
5/3/15 11:48 p.m.

We need to get away. We've sort of decided on Myrtle Beach but it doesn't have to be there. We want warm, relaxing, affordable and fun for us and our two boys who are 7 & 9. We're driving from Hamilton, Ontario (about an hour from Buffalo) and are planning on doing this in about a week and a half from now.

I'm not loving the rates I'm seeing online for the hotels and I'm definitely not loving the 25% (or more) tax and "additional fees" charge that gets added onto the rate. Anyone know of places to stay on the beach in that general area that are a good deal?

Thanks for your help!

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
5/4/15 5:19 a.m.

Look into renting an unused timeshare place on ebay. Wife, kids, and I stayed just outside of DC spring break week. Booked a presidential sweet on the top floor. Two bedrooms, kitchen, 2 baths, dining and living area, three tvs, I pad, laundry in the room, balcony... 4 nights for $600. The whole place was fantastic. Being able to make our own meals saved us a ton of money, plus all the attractions at DC are basically free. Separate bedroom for the kids was priceless. Think the place was called Wyndham or something like that. Hit the Hershey chocolate factory tour on the way home. Plan was to hit Carlisle that weekend, but after 4 days of walking DC, I didn't have it in me to walk that place for 2 days.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/15 5:29 a.m.

Airbnb.com or vrbo.com would be my recommendation

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/4/15 5:52 a.m.

I live about an hour from Myrtle and we only go there in the off season. I don't see the attraction unless you feel the need to play 8,000 rounds of miniature golf or shop at 12,000 of the same three beachwear stores. If you are looking to get away from it all and go into the middle of some hustle and bustle, then by all means go there. If you are looking for some quiet and relaxing time with the family just hanging out on the beach, I would recommend staying somewhere else as there are quieter, less crowded beaches in the vicinity. Is renting a beach house out of the budget?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/4/15 5:18 p.m.

If you want low key and relaxing, try the beach towns in Delaware.

If you are set on MB , try some of the outlying towns. There is a nice state park on the beach just south of the busy area. Good seafood restaurant there too.

1300zuk
1300zuk New Reader
5/4/15 9:55 p.m.

I would consider going a little further south toward charleston savannah st Augustine. Mrytle beach really isnt all that exciting. Another option would also be northwest Florida, basically anywhere from about grayton beach to Pensacola is cool. Avoid the trashy Mecca of panama city

ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/5/15 8:44 a.m.
iceracer wrote: If you want low key and relaxing, try the beach towns in Delaware. If you are set on MB , try some of the outlying towns. There is a nice state park on the beach just south of the busy area. Good seafood restaurant there too.

The Hobie 16 North American Championship was held last year at Lewes. It was a GREAT time. I can't imagine why people would want to do myrtle beach or other such nonsense like that.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/5/15 8:58 a.m.

I stay with my Mom mostly.

I wouldn't recommend that.

Seriously, though, MB is not that nice. Charleston is nicer. VB is nicer. West Palm is nicer (but $$). My favorite is the Outer Banks.

Storz
Storz Dork
5/5/15 10:41 a.m.

Go to the OBX instead :)

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/5/15 11:40 a.m.

How many kids? A beach house rental (mentioned earlier) can be awesome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
304TaYrSZLEYb4PIiSQwqKqH2vwN5bTBPiDlglsSNmVngda4awLc2TZKtA5eRSjE