Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/08 1:26 p.m.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_en_ce/people_george_takei

WASHINGTON - George Takei, best known for playing Sulu on "Star Trek," will never forget the first time he saw Brad Altman, the man he plans to marry, more than two decades ago.

They were working out in a running club and he couldn't take his eyes off Altman, who had a "lean, tightly muscled" body, the 71-year-old actor told AP Radio in an interview.

Takei said he asked Altman to help him train for a marathon, they fell in love, and now they've been living together for 21 years.

Altman said he proposed by getting down on one knee in their kitchen while Takei was eating a sandwich after seeing on TV that the California Supreme Court had legalized same-sex marriage. It surprised Takei, who thought he would be the one who popped the question.

They bought each other turquoise and silver wedding rings.

Takei and Altman plan to marry Sept. 14 in the Democracy Forum at the Japanese National Museum in Los Angeles.

Walter Koenig, who played Chekov in "Star Trek," will be the best man and Nichelle Nichols, who played Uhura, will be the matron of honor. Castmate Leonard Nimoy will be among the 200 guests, but probably not William Shatner. Takei has said Shatner didn't treat him and most of the cast very well.

Takei, who had a recurring role on NBC's "Heroes" last year, and Altman plan to honeymoon for a month in South America.

As for what they'll wear on their big day, Altman said they'll both walk down the aisle in white tuxedoes, which seemed to catch Takei off-guard.

"Well, now that you've announced it on the air, I guess it's settled," he said.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/08 1:28 p.m.

So how many red shirts are going to die at the wedding?

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
6/5/08 2:01 p.m.

Interesting, we know Takai's age and what they are wearing on their wedding day...but we don't hear Altman's age mentioned. BTW, how romantic, proposing in the kitchen while eating lunch? I do like that Shatner is "given the shaft", so to speak, only because i don't feel weddings should be a means to bring together folks who normally don't socialize. He's probably too busy pushing his autobiography, anyway, to attend.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/5/08 2:06 p.m.

He's 54. Isn't google grand? I think the key to the proposal was the timing, not the place. I'm sure they had been waiting for that moment for many years.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/5/08 2:18 p.m.

I now pronounce you man and dude. You may kiss the dude. (It’s California)

therex
therex Dork
6/5/08 2:47 p.m.

Oooooh my.

mtn
mtn Dork
6/5/08 2:51 p.m.
GlennS wrote: I now pronounce you man and dude. You may kiss the dude. (It’s California)

It seems so weird to me.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/5/08 3:10 p.m.

Engagement photo just released...

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
6/5/08 3:30 p.m.

I don't want to know what his other hand is doing.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/5/08 3:35 p.m.

ohhh myyyy

good for him, hope he is no marrying him for his "Sulu" money. The gay Hollywood types (yes, I know its shocking, there are some), will have to watch out for that now.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Reader
6/5/08 3:50 p.m.

If Sulu is going to be the "bottom", that's gonna hurt.

EDIT: Nevermind, after 21 years I doubt he is a virgin.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/5/08 6:10 p.m.

But why on earth should I care what Takei is doing? Is this any more significant than him marrying a blond?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/5/08 11:10 p.m.

Meh. For Howard Stern fans, this is old news. George is a friend of the Stern show and its announcer. Howard talked to him about it the day after CA made the decision on gay marriage.

I'm a big fan of George Takei from his appearances on the Stern show. He really can roll w/ the punches and is a good-natured, kind-hearted dude. He has a lotof the Stern nation on his side.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
6/6/08 5:58 a.m.

Apparently something happened to this "fitness buff" soon after he met Mr. Takai. The only marathon he looks like he's ever prepared for was the kitchen run.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/6/08 8:03 a.m.

I particularly like this clip he did. Funny stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hgg_qsU-8E

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/6/08 8:26 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: I particularly like this clip he did. Funny stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hgg_qsU-8E

lmao

minimac
minimac Dork
6/6/08 8:46 a.m.

Wally, I'm starting to get a little concerned about your reading material......

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/6/08 9:58 a.m.
integraguy wrote: Apparently something happened to this "fitness buff" soon after he met Mr. Takai. The only marathon he looks like he's ever prepared for was the kitchen run.

He did propose to Takei in the kitchen.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/08 11:23 a.m.
gamby wrote: Meh. For Howard Stern fans, this is old news. George is a friend of the Stern show and its announcer. Howard talked to him about it the day after CA made the decision on gay marriage. I'm a big fan of George Takei from his appearances on the Stern show. He really can roll w/ the punches and is a good-natured, kind-hearted dude. He has a lotof the Stern nation on his side.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hU8NRr92j91gMTOhr0x8S8r9SN3EiWgRKdVxngbO1hfcD3SxQEsVtToRi9YH0VxF