1 2 3
DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
4/9/13 10:02 a.m.

There’s been a few threads about shaving in the past so I think this might be of interest. I’ve been shaving with a double-edge blade for a few years now and have been getting the best shaves and saving lots of money. My wife bought me some shaving soap a while ago and it just didn’t do the job. It wouldn’t lather and dried up so fast I could only do small parts of my face at a time.
Tired of that, I decided to try MItchell's Wool Fat Soap. Wow! You gotsta try this stuff. It takes just a bit longer to get a lather, but it’s much, much thicker than any other soap/cream I’ve ever used. The lanolin really feels great, and after I was done I didn’t have any burning at all.
If you’re using a DE blade, I’d highly recommend trying this. Wow.

While I am fat, and do occasionally wear wool, I'm not affiliated with Mitchells Wool Fat Soap.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
4/9/13 10:07 a.m.

I gave up shaving. Beards are where it's at.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/9/13 10:09 a.m.

Been trying the double edge thing myself and liking it.

Need to work some things out still, but its been better than the bics and mach3.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/9/13 10:15 a.m.

I hate to promote overpriced, trendy mall stuff, but the Art of Shaving is worth a try. Yes, it involves oils and lotions and such, but the results are awesome.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/9/13 10:16 a.m.

I use Bigelow shave cream. Better than anything else I've tried, which admittedly isn't much.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
4/9/13 10:23 a.m.

I need to try this. I wear a trimmed beard because I have never found a shaving method that didn't leave me bleeding and irritated.

I still have to shave my neck daily though (which is still highly irritated and bleeding) regardless of what fancy or cheap razor or lotion or cream or whatever I've tried. I get tired of staining the collars on all my dress shirts.

I guess I need to give a DE blade a try.

I hate shaving.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/9/13 10:37 a.m.

I read that as "super smooth slave" and clicked expecting either a clutch parts discussion or a hairless person with a ball gag and leash connected to a piercing. Either would have been preferable to yet another thread on shaving.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/9/13 10:50 a.m.
scardeal wrote: I gave up shaving. Beards are where it's at.

This!

slefain
slefain UltraDork
4/9/13 10:53 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I hate to promote overpriced, trendy mall stuff, but the Art of Shaving is worth a try. Yes, it involves oils and lotions and such, but the results are awesome.

x2. I use the Art Of Shaving stuff to keep my beard manicured. I start with their shaving oil, then use their Sandalwood soap with a Gillette boars hair brush, and a true Gillette single blade safety razor just like this one:

I buy razors at a beauty supply shop. A box of ten blades is a dollar. I have never had a cleaner shave than with this setup and it is dirt cheap. My wife gets me the shaving soap and oil for Christmas and it lasts all year.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
4/9/13 10:54 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I hate to promote overpriced, trendy mall stuff, but the Art of Shaving is worth a try. Yes, it involves oils and lotions and such, but the results are awesome.

I just picked some of that stuff up last week. I agree, it's awesome.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/9/13 10:56 a.m.

Any blade reccomendations? All I can find locally is the wally world wilkinson swords, which aren't quite doing it for me.

I know about feathers, but thats too rich for my taste right now.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
4/9/13 11:51 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Any blade reccomendations? All I can find locally is the wally world wilkinson swords, which aren't quite doing it for me. I know about feathers, but thats too rich for my taste right now.

Follow that link and look for blade assortments. I just picked up 100 blades (8 or 12 different brands) for thirty something bucks. That way you can try a number of different blades. What works great for me might cut you up or not do a good job.

I've tried quite a few blades and each one is a bit different, but this wool fat soap, that's made a very big difference. It really does provide a cushion.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/9/13 11:58 a.m.

Will have to try that. I seem to do better lathering up with my bar of soap (irish spring) than with the barbasol.

Under my jaw and down my neck seems to have the option of rough, or smooth and irritated (smooth and irritated is shaving against the grain, which I know is a no-no, but only way to get it smooth).

Thats pretty much my biggest problem.

I need to try some other blades and better lubricant (soap)

I do all of my shaving in the shower.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
4/9/13 12:26 p.m.

I last shaved my face in the spring of 1970. I've saved a ton of money since then. Like ,two kids through college amounts of money.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/9/13 12:40 p.m.

Why not just put on some lanolin before you soap up? You can get bottles of lanolin for a lot cheaper than that soap and then you can use the lanolin for other things too.

I'm still on the same triple blade for over 1.5 years now, but I do a quickie pass with an electric razor first to tame the beard and then I strop the blade on my arm & dry the blade off after using

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/9/13 12:45 p.m.

I buy the cheapest razors and cream I can find. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/9/13 12:47 p.m.

Thats just the thing... with a DE blades cost as little as 10 cents each...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/9/13 12:53 p.m.

I finally realized that this was getting silly, spending a fortune on these multibladed wonders. $20 for a pack of 5 blades? good lord!

I'm all the way back to an old double edged safety razor, probably an old Gillette, but there's no name on it. Gillette blades for it cost $1 for a pack of 10 at Walmart.

Does it shave as nicely as say the Mach 3? No. But once I remastered how to use it, it isn't far off. Certainly a lot easier to clean and a lot cheaper to use.

Stupid tip to extend the life of the double or single edge blade. Flip it after every use. Each time you use a razor you pull the wire edge over. Stropping works. But flip the blade each time to pull it the other way on the next shave works as well.

I trim the beard, so I get defeated with creams and soaps for shaving. But after the shower when still wet does fine for me.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
4/9/13 1:10 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Why not just put on some lanolin before you soap up? You can get bottles of lanolin for a lot cheaper than that soap and then you can use the lanolin for other things too.

Because the scent of lanolin doesn't have the same effect on my wife as the smelly good shaving stuff she buys for me. And believe me, I LIKE that effect...

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair New Reader
4/9/13 1:51 p.m.

Headslick by Headblade is some of the best I've ever run across... www.headblade.com

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/9/13 2:02 p.m.
slefain wrote:
carguy123 wrote: Why not just put on some lanolin before you soap up? You can get bottles of lanolin for a lot cheaper than that soap and then you can use the lanolin for other things too.
Because the scent of lanolin doesn't have the same effect on my wife as the smelly good shaving stuff she buys for me. And believe me, I LIKE that effect...

Where've you been shaving?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/9/13 2:07 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
slefain wrote:
Where've you been shaving?

What? It makes my junk look bigger. Piss off! :)

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
4/9/13 2:18 p.m.

Bifocals will make your junk look bigger without the chance of nicking it.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/9/13 2:41 p.m.

I don't use expensive blades or shave creams and I still get a super smooth shave and haven't replaced a blade in a year & a half.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/9/13 2:41 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Bifocals will make your junk look bigger without the chance of nicking it.

A magnifying glass is better yet.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VoEBgjjGHg8o1eY8Hec3ymT97aqi7LA6qt3s7naOTDkwzYav7fKMBorqeQPErRZ8