1 2
Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
2/19/17 12:50 p.m.

I'm looking for a replacement for our family minivan. I had nearly forgot that jag/ford made a pretty sweet supercharged v8 starting in the late 90s.

Aside from timing chain tensioners & some minor stuff, I see loads of cheap 150k+ mile jags for sale that still look & operate well. Credit to ford I guess.

So I've started looking for xjr's and s type r's but there are not a lot in the pnw. The market seems to have bottomed out, I've just missed a couple sub 100k xjrs in the $3-6k range.

So- what's the low down on these? Anyone want to check your local Craigslist for some cheap supercharged jagness?

Thx

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/17 12:55 p.m.

I have a standing email alert on my local Craig's for any xjr that shows up under $1k.

So I think my answer is "yes".

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/17 2:07 p.m.

This is my thread on a 2000 xjr I picked up in October. The car has been great so far; it's comfortable, quiet, fast, and thirsty.

It decided to let go of a coolant hose under the super charger that's a PITA to replace. I haven't had the chance to work on it because work and weather (too much rain lately and no garage space). I'm going to do the chain tensioners (a must do) and some other stuff while I'm in there. Parts for the car have been affordable so far.

Around here, they tend to go for over $5-7k if taken cared of. I was lucky, every other one that I've seen for $3k have needed some kind of extensive work.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
2/19/17 2:18 p.m.

There were also supercharged I6 XJRs for a few years before the V8 version.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/19/17 2:31 p.m.
yupididit
2/19/17 3:46 p.m.
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/19/17 5:50 p.m.

I've seen a few for sale here in central VA. Like most cars in these parts, asking prices are pretty high, although this looks like a decent example.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5976976792.html

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/19/17 6:21 p.m.

I started off my "old man car" search with looking at how much car you get in a $5k XJR, and ended up with a Mercedes CLS63 AMG. Slippery slope. I still think the Jag is a great buy.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
2/19/17 11:05 p.m.

Sweet. But you guys are supposed to tell me all the don't buy it stories. I'm on the hunt now.

The s types came supercharged as well, but they were in pretty small numbers.

Pretty amazing the total depreciation on these things.

Thx

yupididit
2/20/17 1:14 a.m.

I'm going to put mine up for sale when I'm done with the repairs. I want a bi-turbo v12 Mercedes.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/20/17 6:22 a.m.
yupididit wrote: I'm going to put mine up for sale when I'm done with the repairs. I want a bi-turbo v12 Mercedes.

Slowly working your way to Maserati-levels of anguish?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/17 7:15 a.m.

I have been on the hunt for a STR for a while now. I have a specific color combo, price and mileage that I am looking for. From what I am seeing they come up fore sale quite regularly but you have to act fast.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
2/20/17 7:17 a.m.

Almost went with an XJR before a first gen V fell in my lap.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/17 7:21 a.m.

This guy is local and always has some very interesting pre-owned premium cars. I have seen more than a few Jags on the lot that have caused a double-take. Their stuff always looks to be in great shape.

Unique Motorcars

yupididit
2/20/17 11:32 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
yupididit wrote: I'm going to put mine up for sale when I'm done with the repairs. I want a bi-turbo v12 Mercedes.
Slowly working your way to Maserati-levels of anguish?

How do you know me so well

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
3/4/17 4:32 a.m.

Update! 400hp, 500 bucks.

dean1484
3/4/17 5:40 a.m.

Ok if that runs and drives that is a screaming deal.

I found the car I want to get. Proper color combo and options BUT the dealer that has it will not give me the out the door price. Keeps ducking and weaving. The question. I am temped to show up with a certified bank check for 1k less than the asking price and see what happens.

If he would just give me a price he probably would have sold it by now. I hate stupid car dealers.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
3/4/17 6:08 a.m.

I do love me some S-type R. How long will you make us wait......?

dean1484
3/4/17 10:15 a.m.

As the dealer

yupididit
3/4/17 10:16 a.m.

$500 are the price those front calipers go for. Nice score, what's wrong with it?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/4/17 12:17 p.m.

Curious about the beast as well. I believe these were some of the fastest of the supercharged variants despite their humble roots.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
3/4/17 12:20 p.m.
yupididit wrote: $500 are the price those front calipers go for. Nice score, what's wrong with it?

It went through a car wash and stalled. Then parked for 8 months in a forest. It crank stumbles and dies.

This was the hardest pickup I've done. Left work at 3pm, got home at 3am.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
3/4/17 12:26 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Curious about the beast as well. I believe these were some of the fastest of the supercharged variants despite their humble roots.

Yeah, me too. I think the xjr was a touch quicker due to gearing but these have super low production numbers. I'm told 205 units either made or imported in 2003.

Anyway, it's a gamble. 2003 str. 162k miles, no service history (aside from verbal). 1st owner put 160k on it, 2nd owner put 2k on it before it dies after a car wash. Looks clean under the grime but we'll see.

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
3/4/17 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones: Smokin'deal...perfect color.....challenge car????

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/4/17 12:35 p.m.

Challenge goodness indeed. Pulley, exhaust, intake, and sticky tires for tons of challenge fun?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zu2OkIWDYdERkiXAtAmJsogNFK9BQiQRVvSqNoqdYcA2PyGY8ERPmCIPxp2nVi1L