RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/20 5:49 p.m.

Do you have any memories of Smithton Motordrome or Smithton Hole? 

I thought the motordrome was still for sale, but the most recent anyhting I've seen is the couple that bought it in 2014 opening again. Well, nobody races there at all anymore, which seems a shame for the only NASCAR sanctioned 1/2 mile in SWPA. 

Smithton Hole also appears to have shutdown back around 2012, which is a real shame. No more mudbogs, and looking, people even ran rallycross there in 07-09

I guess I'm looking for memories or pictures of the places, or if anyone here actually raced there or ran the bogs.

Just looking for some local history since I'll be moving to the middle of the two spots. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/29/20 12:55 a.m.

Besides Googling the Speedway

Motordrome Speedway has a Facebook page, mostly asphalt. 

Motordrome 70 (PA) Speedway ~ Smithton (Dirt 1972-1989). Facebook public group. Lots of early track history on dirt, drivers and pictures. Best info.

Motordrome, Jennerstown and Clearfield were the weekend loop for dirt in SWPA. Later, Pennsylvania Motor Speedway, J'town and the Drome. The Miley family owned PMS and later Motordrome.

Dunno why the move to asphalt other than NASCAR cred. Motordrome and Jennerstown were both NASCAR sanctioned and were sister tracks, Motordrome raced Friday nights and Jennerstown Saturday night.  

more later

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/29/20 11:14 a.m.

I just wasn't able to find much old stuff on Google, yet. Some bits and pieces from long dead forums mostly. 

When I was younger, and Smithton hole was still active, finding anything at all about it was impossible, at least now I'm seeing that when I was searching for a place to off-road they were running rallycross. 

I sort of thought some of the members here might even have raced there.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/29/20 11:53 a.m.

I think I remember hearing of it. They might have even had local tv ads, I know Jennerstown did. Never made it down there for an event though.

Lernerville on the other hand...that's just down the road, I've been there a bunch. Need to go more often though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fgZTJVf9O8DsTbi0vH5pAMoCyQ0XfqQNP4Lntl29KBHYunAEAxJaMAJE69YX99u9