1 2
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/18/11 2:18 p.m.
bigbens6 wrote: That was my next question, when will there be lightest traffic, do we need to try and make this a mid week affair, or could we do a sun-tues trip driving tail on monday? Is it really so twisty i wont hit 50 or 60?!?!? thats insaine!!!

Depends on the car... I forgot what you were taking.

I will say that i hit more than that, but probably could count the number of times on one hand. Nor can i suggest with a clear conscience that you should try to attempt it.

It's really hard to describe how most of the turns are to someone who hasn't been there. There's youtube videos out there that give a decent idea, though.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/11 2:22 p.m.

I like what they said about it in that one bike web site. If you try not to tackle the Tail at 10/10s.. and just enjoy it for being a long flowing road with lots of curves and elevation changes.. you have a better time

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/18/11 2:25 p.m.

If you try to tackle it, you'll be completely wiped out physically and mentally after a run or two anyways.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/11 2:39 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Seriously, get some big-assed Hellas and go at 3AM if you want to actually drive it.

Been there, done that. I think I had over 500W of lights on. It was pretty fun.

Even at low traffic times, watch yourself. I know trucks are supposed to avoid the road, but I have had the experience of meeting a semi coming the way in my lane on a blind corner on the Dragon. That will ruin your day if you're pressing on. Heck, when I went to Miatas at the Gap in 2000, I think I'd seen 4 Miatas with damage by the time I got to the lodge - including two that had hit each other head-on.

It's a different kind of road. Very well engineered and surfaced, it really is like a roller coaster. You almost feel like you could just take your hands off the wheel and let the banking do the work. It's nothing like the twisties we get here, where odd cambers and surface defects are part of the challenge.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/18/11 2:42 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Seriously, get some big-assed Hellas and go at 3AM if you want to actually drive it.
Been there, done that. I think I had over 500W of lights on. It was pretty fun. Even at low traffic times, watch yourself. I know trucks are supposed to avoid the road, but I have had the experience of meeting a semi coming the way in my lane on a blind corner on the Dragon. That will ruin your day if you're pressing on. Heck, when I went to Miatas at the Gap in 2000, I think I'd seen 4 Miatas with damage by the time I got to the lodge - including two that had hit each other head-on. It's a different kind of road. Very well engineered and surfaced, it really is like a roller coaster. You almost feel like you could just take your hands off the wheel and let the banking do the work. It's nothing like the twisties we get here, where odd cambers and surface defects are part of the challenge.

Missed the night-driving part. Yep, that's how to do it if you want a little more freedom.

I actually found it easier than driving in daylight having to deal with glare.

FWIW, 92-93 celica with factory fogs w/ upgraded lights all around gives off a TON of light for that application.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
2/18/11 6:01 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I'm going for the Miatas at the Gap event at the end of July. I haven't been before, but I'm really looking forward to it. Anybody else going to be there for this one? http://www.gapmiatas.com/

were going Tom. Leaving the sunday before to enjoy the roads before the crowds if thats possible. We were parked beside you at The Rolex this year in the blue nb

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/18/11 6:28 p.m.
Keith wrote: I think I'd seen 4 Miatas with damage by the time I got to the lodge - including two that had hit each other head-on.

Nothing smarter than crossing the centerline of a twisty public road.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
2/19/11 2:10 p.m.

Never been to the tail of the dragon, but a friend of mine recently moved to Arkansas and it only adds two hours to a twenty hour road trip, worth the detour for me.

For now I just search Google maps for squiggly lines in the Pennsylvania back country. Low population, low traffic, and nearly nonexistent law enforcement officials. That said, yesterday was a LOT of fun. Now its below freezing again.

Hal
Hal Dork
2/19/11 8:12 p.m.

LIke Keith and others have said, Be Careful.

At the store there is a tree with a lot of bent motorcycle parts on it. This one belonged to a buddy of mine.

He did not make it back from the "Dragon"

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/19/11 11:49 p.m.
Hal wrote: LIke Keith and others have said, Be Careful. At the store there is a tree with a lot of bent motorcycle parts on it. This one belonged to a buddy of mine. He did not make it back from the "Dragon"

I very likely came up on that accident shortly after it happened...

Joey

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
2/20/11 9:02 p.m.

Before the Dragon got popular and the body count began to add up, the speed limit was 50mph and the challenge was to keep up the speed across the Dragon. You couldnt do it. In order to get a "grip" on the road, the state and feds lowered the limit to 35mph and started to enforce the various laws applicable to the roadway.
Be careful and responsible but have fun.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
2/20/11 10:29 p.m.

There was a segment on the Dragon on When Vacations Attack earlier tonight. A guy and his friend on a bike crossed over the line in a curve and hit the grille of a pickup head on. The guy was okay and his passenger hit the windshield and flipped over and didn't have a broken bone on her. Hitting the truck actually prevented them from going over the cliff on the other side.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
2/21/11 6:11 a.m.
failboat wrote:

I love that Accent! I've been eyeing those wheels for my 2011.

Nitroracer wrote: For now I just search Google maps for squiggly lines in the Pennsylvania back country. Low population, low traffic, and nearly nonexistent law enforcement officials. That said, yesterday was a LOT of fun. Now its below freezing again.

I miss Pennsylvania. I bought my 924S in California, PA and me and the ex hit a few back roads while we were out there.

cghstang
cghstang Reader
2/21/11 7:14 a.m.
bigbens6 wrote: That was my next question, when will there be lightest traffic, do we need to try and make this a mid week affair, or could we do a sun-tues trip driving tail on monday? Is it really so twisty i wont hit 50 or 60?!?!? thats insaine!!!

I did the Gap at sunrise on a Saturday in early November. I saw about 5 other vehicles during that time.

You would be insane to try and hit 60.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/21/11 8:11 a.m.

(tentatively raises hand)

I've done (cough) a touch over 75....

Young and dumb, young and dumb.

I've seen S2000s doing over 100mph in sections. Seems like an instance of pot/kettle, but that's just stupid.

I was at night, didn't see another car the entire run. (Doesn't make it right. Don't do it.)

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
2/21/11 1:31 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: (tentatively raises hand) I've done (cough) a touch over 75.... Young and dumb, young and dumb. I've seen S2000s doing over 100mph in sections. Seems like an instance of pot/kettle, but that's just stupid. I was at night, didn't see another car the entire run. (Doesn't make it right. Don't do it.)

[punk kid] Not my smartest moment ever, but I was probably one of those S2000s doing over 100 at one point. Sticky tires/good brakes will make or break you if you're driving fast up there.

We once had a night run led by a Cayman S, then 335i, and then me. Those guys left me in their dust and we still went from the gravel lot to Deals Gap in just over 10 minutes. I slept with a steel-hard boner that night. [/punk kid]

slaps self

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
2/21/11 1:34 p.m.

Maybe someone else should start a rockslide again this year? Last year when the TN side was blocked it seemed like there was NOBODY there, and you knew where the 2 police officers were because they were on overtime volunteering to work the road.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/21/11 1:40 p.m.
sobe_death wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: (tentatively raises hand) I've done (cough) a touch over 75.... Young and dumb, young and dumb. I've seen S2000s doing over 100mph in sections. Seems like an instance of pot/kettle, but that's just stupid. I was at night, didn't see another car the entire run. (Doesn't make it right. Don't do it.)
[punk kid] Not my smartest moment ever, but I was probably one of those S2000s doing over 100 at one point. Sticky tires/good brakes will make or break you if you're driving fast up there. We once had a night run led by a Cayman S, then 335i, and then me. Those guys left me in their dust and we still went from the gravel lot to Deals Gap in just over 10 minutes. I slept with a steel-hard boner that night. [/punk kid] *slaps self*

Yeah, i was just lacking power... Was in my stock-engined Celica at the time. Got into it a little with an AllTrac converted over to GT4 RC specs with some additional work.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UPfgmcfGdkJf7RfLsS0YrN3o5yXsNx5tM14Ex0H8YdqW5HwCd0RBhWkIOWgVzYJD