1 2 3 4 5 6

You got this. 

If you need anything, you know who to ask. Need to vent or scream at someone that's outside the situation, let us know. Need someone to just sit on the porch and keep quiet, we can do that too. 

Anything at all. Georgia isn't that far away. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/20 8:53 a.m.

Congratulations for making up your mind - and having the conviction to share that decision here. I'm so impressed by the fellowship and fantastic responses above my own.

I wish you great success. One day at a time. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/15/20 9:57 a.m.

By the way,  I'm proud of you. Not everyone has that kind of balls to to see they have a problem.  Even less do something about it. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/20 10:25 a.m.

Poopshovel - I admire your conviction and the courage you have to start down this path towards sobriety.  My personal struggle is with depression and while I've somehow I've avoided trap of self medicating with alcohol I know a little about gathering up the strength to make a large lifestyle change and address personal challenges head on.  Your struggle is different enough from mine that I can't offer any real advice but know that I'm rooting for you and that I've seen enough successful long term recoveries to know that it can be done. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/15/20 10:27 a.m.

Tremendously proud to call you friend!

I'll be praying for you. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/15/20 11:21 a.m.

The past is history. You can learn from it, but don't beat yourself up too much. Make amends and use what you've learned to make today better.

The future isn't guaranteed. Long term goals are important, but don't let them overtake today.

Today is the only thing you can control. Make good choices right now, this hour. Then do it again next hour. And again. Before you know it, you'll be through an entire day. 

You've identified the problems, you've charted a course for a new direction, you have a strong support network, and all the motivation you could need. The only thing left is to follow through. It won't be easy, but you know that. Plenty of people here to reach out to when things are tough if that's easier than other options.

You are poopshovel, a flawed human that will need some help. But you are also poopshovel, the badass human that wins challenges, makes great friends, nabs a smoke show for a wife, and brought two precious little girls into this world. You are worthy of happiness and good health, just have to put in some work to make it happen.  "Ain't nothin to it but to do it!"

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
11/15/20 7:47 p.m.

I don't know how old your daughters are, but if (by some crazy chance) they happen to be "Frozen" fans, they probably know that song about always trying to do "the next right thing."  You have already done the biggest next right thing by starting this process, which is fantastic.  Now you have a bunch more of them to to do, and you're doing them for your princesses, which is the best possible reason.  We'll be cheering you on.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/15/20 9:12 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

We are proud of ya buddy......

This. Takes a strong man to admit he needs help. Take the time you need. We're all pulling for you.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/20 9:21 p.m.

This is a huge step, I'm so happy for you. 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
11/15/20 9:48 p.m.

As someone who grew up with an alcoholic and an addict for parents i really hope this works for you! 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
11/15/20 11:06 p.m.

Hey, P-Shovel man, I don't know you personally like some other fortunate forum members, but I'm cheering for you. Stick with it. It'll be worth the effort. Good luck and keep us updated. We're with you on this.

(On another thread on this forum we celebrate alcohol on Friday evenings. I think I will curtail my posts to that thread out of respect for your journey. Keep the faith Man, and you will be successful)!

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/15/20 11:19 p.m.

We've never met or even talked outside of the forum but, I want to thank you for doing this. 

My father is an alcoholic, I wish we had a better relationship than we do but that's just life.

I went through my first bout of depression and anxiety a little while ago and it lasted almost two years. It comes and goes now but it's getting better. It's a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself man. You've got a whole bunch of awesome people here cheering you on, you can do it.

I wish I could say it better but I can't seem to find the words.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/20 11:57 p.m.

You've made the important step already. Good luck!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/16/20 9:29 a.m.

As someone who has an alcoholic in my family, I can tell you from experience that it takes far more strength to confront this head on than to brush it aside. I've watched that person degrade over the years, and it's not pretty. Doing this now is saving your kids from having to witness that, and that takes big-time stones to not only ID the issue, but to do something about it.

Stay strong, my friend. You got this!

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/16/20 9:40 a.m.

Brave. Admirable. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/16/20 10:07 a.m.

Great job!

I've been working with a therapist this year for the exact same thing. Had a few lapses since, but trending in the right direction. In July, I basically had a full meltdown of "JFC, I can't live like this anymore."

Just know you aren't alone!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/16/20 8:16 p.m.

I'm proud of you. We are here for you. Dont give up, ever. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/17/20 7:05 a.m.

You got this man. Good luck

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/17/20 8:01 a.m.

Fight the fight man. One day at a time and keep going. Even if you have to start over, it's okay, just make sure you start. Prayers and good vibes coming at you.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
11/17/20 9:15 a.m.

Proud of you, man. If you need anything, we are here. 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/20 2:14 p.m.

Taking that first step is huge, and then telling us about is even bigger. Good on you for taking responsibility and making moves to do better by your family. I'm pulling for you from across the country. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
11/17/20 4:53 p.m.

Keep in mind 30 days is a spin dry, not a magic wand/bullet.

It's a start, it's up to you where it leads you. Hopefully it will help clear the fog and serve as a lever to break habitual behavior.

During 15 years of abstaining I learned I did not have to hurt myself to have fun. Moderation in all aspects of life is needed, too much of anything leads to disaster. Balance needs to be found some good to outweigh the bad, some decent food so you have the fuel to function, some intimacy to ward off loneliness, work so you can play, etc. Exercise and nutrition are both positive factors. Get medical help for any chemical imbalances, Thyroid or pituitary you can't walk off those problems and they contribute to a poor emotional state. You also need normal un-medicated sleep, many complain they cant sleep but then stay in bed late because they are "tired". This puts you out of a natural rhythm that feeds on it's self you stay up later and stay in bed later. GET UP EARLY you will be tired earlier and go to sleep easier.

Up and down with the sun is what works for me I need lots of sun light or I suffer. I noticed long ago a pattern to my behavior by looking at my work history. I was changing jobs every year around the same time. I originally blamed the holidays, but later came to realize it was a lack of sunlight that was weighing on my emotional state.

Depression and anxiety are feelings experienced daily by everyone, thank you 2020 for exceeding all acceptable levels there! You need positive things happening so these areas do not seem so monumental. Daily activities that keep you busy and move you forward, rather than falling back and dwelling on the negative.

What matters is how you react to those feelings, do you dig a deeper hole or fill that hole in and move on? Self medicating is digging a deeper hole, you then ignore the hole instead of filling it in, you now have a trap that you may fall in and there you are, back in the hole shovel in hand. Self medication leads to habitual behavior, an automatic response, it's a trap.

It's best to work on your life, choose a path that leads to better circumstances and you will be rewarded. Clean up the mess (fill in that hole) and things start looking much brighter, make choices that lead to a better existence. Start small, clean your room, clean your car, hang out with like minded positive influences. Pretty soon those dark clouds don't look so dark.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
11/18/20 6:52 p.m.

Very impressive indeed. Stay strong you are doing a wonderful thing.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/19/20 7:29 p.m.

Congrats on making this move. I quit drinking almost 9 years ago by my own decision. I knew i had to quit as i was feeling i was having less control over it. That or i was out of excuses. Either way, in that 9 years, my life has gotten back on track. Everything has been better. 

Breaking the habit of coming home and grabbing a beer first thing was hard. Doing yardwork, grab a beer. Working on anything, beer. Go anywhere, cooler of beer comes also. Found Lots of reasons to grab a beer.   
flavored seltzer water like lacroix can fill in for the feeling of drinking a beer. 

good luck, keeping your positivity about this will go a long way.  You got this!

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/23/20 7:24 p.m.

See, you've got friends everywhere supporting you!  You can do it!

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NsvnCFF0bikC4e6jQotlrtBoykVY8xnBwo3TwP5yOwiBQl7OHNM5Dc4yXg6MwiNq