1 ... 3 4 5 6
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/13/21 5:37 p.m.

Glad to hear it.

Was wondering how things were going. Well done man.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
5/13/21 5:51 p.m.

Well done brother! Kickin ass!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/21 7:14 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Kick ass! \m/

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/13/21 8:30 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Good to see this come up again, with continuing positive news. Hope the rest of your life is doing well, also.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/21 8:40 p.m.

I was afraid for a while that you had to give up this place too, but I'm always happy to see your posts. 

I continue to root for you, my friend. You've got this!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/13/21 9:17 p.m.

This is awesome! Keep kicking ass, my dude. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/13/21 10:23 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

So I have a question, When is any too much? 

I acknowledge that I am "an alcoholic" by definition. Years ago I would say that I had a debilitating relationship with it. As I've grown older I no longer drink because of a bad mood, nor do a HAVE to have alcohol but there are times that I simply enjoy it. Rarely do I drink to a buzz. 

I understand the physical toll that it plays on they body. I also realize that many people can't simply control the urge and are driven to consume en masse. Really I am far more afraid of food and my lack of dietary self control but as someone who is self aware, I realize that saying I don't feel I have a problem could mean I have a problem.

So, while I do entertain a few libations on occasion, is any simply too many? 

From some very personal experience, I can tell ya - I do not know how to tell the difference between someone that drinks a lot, (maybe too much) and an alcoholic. I spent most of my life from 16 till my late 20's around people that drank too much, including myself. But almost all of us maintained the things in life we should be doing. I then quit in support of a girl that had a obvious alcohol and substance abuse problem. At 21 years old, she'd been drinking since about 12, and everyone in her family as well. For her first 30 days without a drink, her mom took her out to her favorite bar to celebrate!

Anyway, almost everyone in that family, was only a single sip away from going off the deep end. 100% abstinence was the only way any of them could quit. (any almost none of them believed that,so...)

Me? I'm truly blessed that I can have a drink when I feel like one, and stop at that. But I know it is a blessing. Not everyone can. I don't drink ever now, but that's due to keeping my blood sugar in control with better eating habits, instead of the band aids modern pharma wants us on.

Sounds to me like you have the answer for yourself, but as I was advised in my early 20's "no one ever set out to become an alcoholic!"

No, I am not of the crowd that feels that any is too much. But it CAN be for some.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/13/21 11:15 p.m.

Awesome job!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
5/14/21 7:19 a.m.
03Panther said:
 I don't drink ever now, but that's due to keeping my blood sugar in control with better eating habits, instead of the band aids modern pharma wants us on.

I would have been dead 20 years ago without insulin. If your going to post stuff like that maybe at least specify which type of diabetes you're talking about. No amount of diet or exercise will keep a type one diabetic alive long term. 

To the OP. Congrats, you are doing great. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/14/21 11:10 a.m.
1SlowVW said:
03Panther said:
 I don't drink ever now, but that's due to keeping my blood sugar in control with better eating habits, instead of the band aids modern pharma wants us on.

I would have been dead 20 years ago without insulin. If your going to post stuff like that maybe at least specify which type of diabetes you're talking about. No amount of diet or exercise will keep a type one diabetic alive long term. 

Sorry about not being more specific, but kinda a small point, unless taken out of context. No where did I mention anything about a type one diabetic. Or mention diabetes, if fact. I mentioned MY blood sugar, and alcohol does not help that. I hope you are not recommending anyone with type one diabetes drink as much alcohol as they like? I was offering advice to someone that asked a legitimate question about alcoholism, having some experience in exactly what he asked.

to the op; I hope we are not too far off track, and that you are finding it easier to stay on track, in your life. smiley

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/14/21 4:04 p.m.

I am glad to hear that things are going well for you!  Keep doing what you are doing!

Scott

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
5/14/21 5:26 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

You know what it did come off as a little rant-ish and hot headed. 
Sorry for the side track.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/21 6:30 p.m.

Panther and slowdub, I appreciate both of your input. 

About four years ago I was 325lbs and diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Essentially my A1C was elevated twice in a year. I radically changed my high carb diet, while still drinking occasionally, and increased my exercise. Even though my A1C came down to high normal 6 months later I let the doctor convince me Metformin was the only way to sustain life for another moment. For a year I tortured and toiled following the dietary rules, not drinking at all and honestly feeling terrible and my A1C did not change. Like negligible at best. Then I stopped taking the medication and resumed me life as before. I had energy, I was active, my diet really didn't change much beyond a few beers or scotchy scotch or a run and cherry coke zero. Here's where it gets weird. A1C drops 2 points to a safe zone and I balloon from 275lbs back to 310. I'm still there doing the same things, and one of them is over eating hence the weight gain, but I understand how everyone has a different body, different needs and different rules of engagement. Thank you both for chiming in. 

Poop, thank you for putting up with my threadjack. Looking forward to the next day and the next update brother.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/14/21 6:35 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

A very close friend has had to be sticking himself with insulin since his early 20's in the 80's. Its def. a big deal!

He has managed to still be alive, despite us both drinking a lot of bourbon together through the years. In retrospect, I'm not sure why ether one of us lived through those days!

Be well, and best of thoughts!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/14/21 9:50 p.m.

Excellent work, man!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/16/21 7:03 a.m.

You have no idea how much y'alls kind words mean to me. I may be allergic to them a little. <sniffles>

Beyond just "not drinking," the inward and spiritual journey of this thing have been life-changing; specifically realization that I've "numbed" every interaction I had for THIRTY_berkeleyING_YEARS, even beyond human interaction, starting when my little brain was still developing.

At 42 years old, I feel "awake" for the first time in my adult life; literally for as long as I can remember.

poopshovel again
5/16/21 7:10 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

OMG PLEASE DO NOT APOLOGIZE. #RELEVANT 

Very humble opinion: Only you can answer that question.

Step 1 of AA:

“We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable.”

That ^^^ was me. My life had absolutely become unmanagable, and aside from multiple half-hearted, pre-destined for failure attempts at quitting *on my own,* I was POWERLESS over alcohol, to the point where I was *physically* incapable of quitting on my own.

Without surrendering completely, there is no doubt in my mind that I would be dead or (back) in jail right now.

I'm in no position to offer advice. All I can do is share my experience, which I'm happy to do, any time, especially if it helps someone else. <3

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/21 7:26 a.m.

From the outside it is hard to fully comprehend the disease of alcoholism. I drank a lot in college but basically outgrew it - the juice wasn't worth the squeeze when I had to go to work or take care of kids. But clearly for others the decision isn't voluntary. 

congratulations on six months. Wish you good luck for today and beyond. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/21 10:37 a.m.

I'm really happy for you, dude. It sounds like you got a good start going here, with some good insight into more than just "you don't have willpower and so here try these new habits." I've been on the path for 16 years but it wasn't until 9 years ago that a counselor actually opened my eyes to the WHY of it. And while you and I both know that knowledge isn't a cure, it has really helped me in like finding my own little tweaks and being aware of my own triggers, or the subtleties of what they feel like when they're coming on. The only sad part about the second A of AA is that there are tons of people from the early group days who I wish I could just call and explain some of this to. Many of us were so lost. There's a dude Tim I pray for a lot.

Quasi, I've had that conversation with a couple close friends over the years and yeah, I agree that you'll need to do an eval in your own self here. FWIW, I personally happen to think that studying the criteria for disorders in psychology might give you some helpful insight too. I don't know them by heart but the first one I do recall is "is this interfering with my daily life and my ability to hold down a job or maintain relationships"?

Again, FWIW, One of my own personal clues was the fact that I could NOT stay stopped. I could not moderate. I'd hate to ever talk someone out of getting help if they need it, and frankly what you can learn about yourself thru the program will help anybody, do think carefully. I'm glad you're checking, that's humility and good self awareness there. 

My thoughts, worth what you paid for them

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/16/21 3:47 p.m.

Congrats! I'll buy you a....mineral water? Next time I see you. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/17/21 6:29 a.m.

Congrats man!

I know that my job may seem contradictory to this, but it makes those of us involved very aware of the wide range of effects alcohol can have on people. Glad you're finding what makes you healthy and happy.

I'll raise a glass of our cold brew coffee to you today.

poopshovel again
5/19/21 5:51 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

All good. I still love hangin out in bars! (Much to my sponsors chagrine.)

True story: Many a cute bartender enjoys making a random "dealer's choice" NA drink. ;)

poopshovel again
5/19/21 5:52 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Congrats! I'll buy you a....mineral water? Next time I see you. 

See above cheeky

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/19/21 6:42 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

True story: Many a cute bartender enjoys making a random "dealer's choice" NA drink. ;)

Word. Bartenders love having one person in a party who's not drinking.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/20/21 4:12 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

Word. Bartenders love having one person in a party who's not drinking.

I experienced this last night, she spent way more time on me than anyone else at the bar. I waaaasss paying the tab for my group though so there is that

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Ri59jMSdL3ycoV6PNU3K8ZvBPw3ly2nNigYTCEOQ7mbHz7WEjwMJUS1G6ImrGUW