1 2
Will
Will SuperDork
5/21/16 3:14 p.m.

My grill has rusted away to nothing, so it's time for a new one. I definitely want charcoal. Don't need a smoker, but not opposed to one. Don't need it to be huge. Based on my experience with the last grill, durability/quality is my priority.

Right now I'm thinking this Weber, but I'm open to suggestions.

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/21/16 3:36 p.m.

dont rule out a used weber, they are easy to get parts for.

we got a used performer off craigslist, with the stainless steel top, for $75. just cleaned it out, replaced the bottom vent thing and some new grates. propane start still doesnt work but I havent bothered to fix it.

FWIW after a couple years we supplemented this grill with the most modestly priced Weber Spirit 2 burner gas grill. Perfect for quick weeknight grilling after work, and it moderates temperature very well and the cast iron grates give everything a nice sear, every time. Love it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/16 3:36 p.m.

I had a high end gas grill that just kind of fell apart so I went back to my trusty old webber. The grill I about 18 inch's across. Very simple unit with three legs. I sit it on the end of our pick nick table. If I have a larger crowd with small kids I place it in the small trailer for my riding mower. I have had it for fifteen years or so. What I have found is that you need to take the grilling grate off and clean it in the sink after every use. I then run I through the dish washer. I then hang it on the wall in the basement. If you don't do this it will rust. I typically replace the grate every two or three years. The rest of it is original.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/16 3:38 p.m.

Here is the one I have. Simple but works great and can travel if needed.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/16 3:52 p.m.

For price and convenience, you can't go wrong with a Weber Kettle, especially if you look at some of the available mods. Expensive to buy, but easy to DIY. The hinge for the top is one of the best things I've ever done.

If you want to get a little fancier, a Big Green Egg can fit the bill, but from my experience the Weber Smokey Mountain series is a better smoker/charcoal grill.

If you get a regular kettle or something fancier, look at the Smoke n Sear. It's an accessory that holds charcoal and a little water. Can really crank temps up for a good steak searing, but also runs low and slow allowing 6 to 8 hours of slow cooking time. They're pricey, but if you have a wheel, hammer, anvil, any kind of metal working tools really, you can make one for the cost of metal.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/21/16 3:55 p.m.

I have a stok since let's of veggies are grilled here. I actually use 3 of the inserts frequently and there are at least 2 more that I would like to get. You can't go wrong with a weber kettle as well, which I also have one of as well. As noted parts are plentiful. If you cam find a used one cheap replace the vents and get set of cast iron grates and it'll be better than new.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/21/16 8:31 p.m.

I am really happy with my basic Weber. I use the Kingsford competition charcoal and the stuff I lit 4 hours ago is still 300°.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/21/16 9:25 p.m.

My charcoal grill at work was free. It was a gas grill that needed a burner so someone set it out for trash day. Take rusty burner out, spray with rattle can of hi-heat paint, done. Can't rust.

I did end up drilling a couple 1/2" holes in the casting because it wasn't getting enough air, but it works great.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/16 10:15 p.m.

Another vote for the Weber Kettle. I have a 22" that I use 4 to 5 nights a week for the last three years.

I only regret not buying the one with the side table like the one pictured above.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
5/21/16 10:40 p.m.

What is your budget?

Will
Will SuperDork
5/21/16 11:32 p.m.

The one I linked in the first post is $250. I don't see a huge reason to spend more than that.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/22/16 7:54 a.m.

On the Weber front- see if you can find an old one. One that may be roughly your age.

My brother has the Weber my parents bought when I was a very young kid, and it's still going strong.

On the other hand, I bought one after I got my house (20 odd years) and it's rusting pretty badly. I'll fix it, for sure, but it's a bummer that the older one is that much better than the new one in terms of durability.

Otherwise, Webers are the best. And the one you have listed will make great food.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
5/22/16 8:24 a.m.

Will vouch for the older Webers as well. The cast iron grates on my 2009 Spirit were replaced in 2012 and are already rusting badly. Meanwhile my sister's 2005 has the original grates which still look like new.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/22/16 9:21 a.m.
Slippery wrote: Another vote for the Weber Kettle. I have a 22" that I use 4 to 5 nights a week for the last three years. I only regret not buying the one with the side table like the one pictured above.

It sounds like I have the same grill you do, and I love it!

To round out my setup I bought a chimney for lighting charcoal and a pair of HF welding gloves.

The possibilities are endless, but I find myself using good lump charcoal for faster cooking foods like burgers, and briquettes for slower cooking foods.

It's the best grill I have ever owned.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
5/22/16 9:53 a.m.

Another vote for the 22" Weber. It's large enough to keep the charcoal pile on the side for indirect cooking or compination searing/indirect. And, it's totally worth the extra money to get the "gold" version with the big ash can and the top and bottom vents are easier to set how you need them. I bought two of the accessory "side" charcoal boxes; they really allow you to use the grill as a "charcoal oven". I also have a Weber Genesis three-burner grill for when I either don't have time for "fire tending" or don't want to smell like wood smoke after cooking.

johnnie
johnnie Reader
5/22/16 12:38 p.m.

I love my double-deuce Weber kettle. And my 18. And my 14.

Sometimes I think I'd like to have a rectangular grill to fit more stuff on one grill, but if we're feeding a crowd, the overflow goes onto the 18. Running two charcoal grills at the same time makes our guests think I'm some kind of cookout hero.

The 14 doesn't see much action these days, but if I needed to take a grill somewhere, it easily fits in the trunk of the car.

Cooking oil spray and a wire brush are your friends for maintaining the cooking grates. The charcoal grates require replacement every couple years, as they really start to sag. Last time I got a new charcoal grate, I just dropped it in on top of the old one with the slats running at a 90 degree angle.

The Weber starter chimneys are more durable than the cheap ones, I can get 3 or 4 seasons out of one.

I see lots of great Craigslist deals on used Webers, too. Having taken delivery of two free used Webers, I wouldn't be afraid to spend a few dollars on a used one.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/16 4:47 p.m.

I also recommend this for everyone with a grill. The probe thermometer your grill may have come with, is garbage, and not anything remotely near accurate if it's been through a winter or two. This particular digital thermometer has a probe for food, and one specifically for temperature at the grate. You're not cooking within the 3 inches of the lid that built in probe is telling you the temp of, you're cooking on the grate.

While more useful with propane or smokers, I've found it extremely handy doing pork roasts, briskets, anything that isn't a sear and serve.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/16 5:27 p.m.

I bought a cheap $20 one from Wal-Mart, year 4 of it being outside year around and it's doing good

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/22/16 6:51 p.m.

I dont understand people who spend more than free dollars on grills. I get mine from the curb, use them till they fall apart, and return them back to the curb. The circle of life!

captdownshift
5/22/16 9:16 p.m.

In reply to johnnie:

Cooking oil and a decent metal grill brush and or a heavy hand and strong towel, are absolutely needed. Your fish and chicken will never stick if used properly

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
5/22/16 9:21 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

Is this you?

If I cut a bean in half and share it with you will you share with me all your knowledge? I might have a few buttons in my bindle to sweeten the deal

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/16 9:43 p.m.

People overthink charcoal like it's some kind of magic. My grill was a Weber knockoff that Sears had on closeout 10 years ago. When the legs fell off I built a new set with a table like the one pictured above. It stays outside and gets used all year. I go through a chimney every 18 or so months and stock up on charcoal when it's on sale usually Labor Day and Memorial Day. It cooks as well as any expensive ones my friends have. I grill, smoke and occasionally bake a pizza on it. I've also had good results using grocery carts as grills and piecing them together from scrap metal. Figuring out how to make food come out the way you want is the tricky part. Once you do that you can cook it on anything.

captdownshift
5/23/16 6:09 a.m.

If going DIY, a 55 gallon steel drum, plasma cutter, soda blaster, welder and cerakote ceramic coatings are your friend. You'll be able to fashion something that'd make a BGE blush.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
5/23/16 8:05 a.m.

Weber Bought this for my dad had a 20% coupon they are available online. I have a older one but same. Game changer for me is 6-7 years ago I got a Rapidfire Chimney Starter, so much quicker then heating up a gas grill.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/9/19 9:30 a.m.

zombie canoe, sneaky post deleted

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PGyx4703LqTxaTMIkzTMGd82ODExWATKAUpJrtfw33EanuYNMlnNJ7j4YlWvBWGQ