FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/18/18 11:33 a.m.

We are planning a family vacation to Rhode Island this summer.  It will be my wife, 6 year old daughter and 3 year old daughter.  We will be staying at my wife’s uncle’s beach house.  I am trying to finalize flights, so I am comparing flights to different airports in the northeast.  Specifically Boston, Providence, Hartford and New York City.   So far LaGuardia is the cheapest savings us about $600.  LaGuardia also is non-stop where the others all require a layover.  My wife and I have always wanted to visit NY so we thought about the idea of flying to LaGuardia, getting our rental car there and parking it at airport parking for the day and spending the day in New York City and then do the 3 hour drive later that day to the beach house so the kids can sleep in the car. 

The thought was to do a little sightseeing, 911 Memorial, Central Park, Battery Park to look out to the Statue of Liberty and grab some local pizza and then go back to get the rental car.  Maybe drop central park and use the time to take the ferry to the statue of liberty.   That way all we are doing is going from LaGuardia to lower Manhattan, spend the day around 911 memorial, Battery Park and Statue of Liberty then back to the car at LaGuardia and off to RI. 

I am crazy?  Am I trying to squeeze too much in?  for those that have been, what is the best way to get from LaGuardia to Lower Manhattan, subway, bus, uber? 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/18/18 11:39 a.m.

We only had one day in NYC and did the Blue Line Tour.  Pricey, sort of rushed - in the end it was a no brainer and we had a really fun guide.  

Where’s our resident NYC bus guy?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/18/18 11:51 a.m.

Similar but different...

A few years back we were visiting my wife's sister who lived in RI over Christmas Break.  On Dec 30th (the day before New Years Eve) we went into NYC for a day trip.  We had 2 HS age nieces with us.  We took a 6am bus out of RI and I think we got back to RI at Midnight the same day.   You should be able to do the reverse or similar.  

Peter Pan Lines

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/18/18 12:03 p.m.

OK, forget the rental car for a minute. Parking at LGA will eat an enormous sum of money, if you can find a spot at all, since the place is under serious construction, and driving out of NYC sucks. Take a cab into the city. Do what you want to do, see what you want to see. The Staten Island ferry has the best view of the Statue of Liberty and it's free. Don't go to the dollar-a-slice places; find a proper pizza joint. Do everything possible on foot or subway; everything else takes more time. Avoid Times Square like the plague unless you want to see NYC's version of Disney World, but more crowded and suckier. When you're done, head to Penn Station and take Amtrak to Rhode Island. Arrange for your rental car there, which will probably be cheaper than in NYC anyway.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/18/18 12:22 p.m.

02 Pilot is right on so many counts.  Agreed on cab out of LGA.  I might skip the pizza and hit Papua King, especially with kids in tow.  

Get to know Google Maps, the mass transit function, and save maps of the area to Offline Maps onto your phoney device. 

It's kind of fun to walk the Highline but it might be out of your way and sort of ends in an area where not much is happening.  MoMA might have something that you'd be interested in seeing in rotation or some of the exhibits that are always there.  I've never bothered to go to the top of the tall buildings like Empire or 30 Rockefeller Center as it's non-cheap and usually the lines are crazy.  

If I think of anything else that makes sense I'll edit this post.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/18/18 12:27 p.m.
02Pilot said:

OK, forget the rental car for a minute. Parking at LGA will eat an enormous sum of money, if you can find a spot at all, since the place is under serious construction, and driving out of NYC sucks. Take a cab into the city. Do what you want to do, see what you want to see. The Staten Island ferry has the best view of the Statue of Liberty and it's free. Don't go to the dollar-a-slice places; find a proper pizza joint. Do everything possible on foot or subway; everything else takes more time. Avoid Times Square like the plague unless you want to see NYC's version of Disney World, but more crowded and suckier. When you're done, head to Penn Station and take Amtrak to Rhode Island. Arrange for your rental car there, which will probably be cheaper than in NYC anyway.

what do I do with all our luggage while we are in the city.  Thats why I was going to get the car first.  I like the idea of the train to RI though if I can figure out he luggage.  i would also have to price out the train tickets. It may eat up the savings from flying into NY. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/18/18 12:37 p.m.

Can't really help with suggestions to what to do with the luggage/car, etc.

But in terms of what to do- all but Central Park are all close to each other on the south end of Manhattan.  The 911 memorial is a little bit of a hike, but it has it's own stop, so you can use the subway, and then keep going down to Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry, Pick up points for Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.  If all  you want to do is look at the statue from water distance, for sure, just take the ferry out and back.  For us, a trip to Ellis Island was kind of important, so that I could get some info about my family's immigration to the US back near 1900.

The area also is appealing thanks to lots of historical things in the area- like Fraunces Tavern- where George Washington did his resignment speech to his officers.  And Bowling Green Park, where he dismissed the Continental Army after the revolutionary war.  Also close by is Federal Hall- which is the first house of congress of the US.  Trinity Church has some serious history buried along side of it.

Lots and lots of stuff to see in lower Manhattan.  Just got back from a trip there, and had a fun 4 hour tour tracing Alexander Hamilton around lower Manhattan.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/18/18 12:45 p.m.

Try shipping your real clothing needs via Fed Ex, etc.  If you're staying with family, no need to send overnight.  Send the boxes slow and early enough to be assured that they have arrived before you leave home.  Don't pack toiletries, buy new when you arrive.    A daypack on both mom and dad should be enough to cover the immediate needs.  

At the end of vacation you can either mail the boxes back home again or accommodate for also packing bags and carry the clothes onto the plane.    

Does the beach house have a washer/dryer?  If yes, bring only about 3 days of clothes each and wash again mid week.  

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/18 1:17 p.m.

I agree with John Welsh..  Mail the suitcases, you're already paying the airline $25 per bag to ship them, might as well make fedex/ups/usps do it for you first.

We had some visitors in from Romania, so my team put together a day trip to NYC for them.. Here's what we came up with:

Sites to see:
Central park - North of Grand Central Terminal
Battery Park - South tip of Manhatten (south of GCT)
Brooklyn Bridge - South east of GCT, East of Battery Park
American Museum of Natural History - North of GCT, West of Central Park
Statue of Liberty - South west of Battery Park - Ferry from BP
Staten island ferry - boat ride from Battery Park to Staten Island (Just do a round trip) see the Statue of liberty
Little Italy for dinner - Mulberry St & Grand St intersection - Mid way bettwen GCT & BP

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/18/18 1:18 p.m.

I'm here now, just stay home haha. I don't know what the draw of this cesspool is. Currently we are at the Met. Amazing place, just wish it were somewhere else. 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/18/18 1:20 p.m.

The High Line is a madhouse in the summer. Given your want list, I'd only leave Lower Manhattan if you have a very specific reason to do so (particular museum, etc.); between your list and the stuff others have mentioned you'll be plenty busy. I agree with John Welsh on the shipping luggage idea. Saves a lot of headaches and offers greater flexibility. Amtrak looks to be about $400 RT for the family (take the Northeast Express - Acela isn't what it's cracked up to be, and not much faster either).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/18/18 1:38 p.m.

My only experience in New York was a 2 hour layover in LGA. I personally would pay the $600 extra to stay out of that airport. 

That isn't anything to do with New York itself, as I'm sure I'd enjoy it there--especially if I was able to see a Rangers game or Yankees game--but that was a miserable airport experience. The whole thing just stressed me out, and I'm used to O'Hare.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/18/18 1:42 p.m.

Yeah, another vote to skip Times Square. 

Love the idea of having your luggage meet you at your final destination. That removes a lot of stress. 

A cool walking tour I once did: walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan, walk up to Chinatown for food, continue through Soho and wind up in the West Village. (Favorite Chinatown restaurant is Wo Hop but it's tiny and only takes cash.) I maintain a list of guitar and record shops. Visiting them helps me find new places and keeps things interesting. 

The Brooklyn Bridge will probably be a sea of humanity that day, too. You can walk over the Manhattan Bridge, too. I prefer that bridge--less people plus a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge--but the masses favor walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. 

I love the Highline but, yeah, can see it being clogged. We've been down to Battery Park. We paid our respects at Bowling Green. (Never forget.) 

Staten Island Ferry late at night is way cool. It is the budget (well, free) Circle Line. 

Also, accept the fact that you can't do it all in one day. 

Gotta eat, too:

Bagel

Greek

Italian

White Castles

Diner

Chinese

Burger

Knish

Humantashen

Deli

Pickles

Giant cookie

Pretzel

Pizza

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/18/18 1:42 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I'm here now, just stay home haha. I don't know what the draw of this cesspool is. Currently we are at the Met. Amazing place, just wish it were somewhere else. 

History, shows, food, etc.  We like visiting there....  Would not want to live there, and a friend who has been living there for close to 20 years is planning on retiring to Michigan.

But there's a lot to be seen in New York.  It's just not for the people who despise crowds. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/18/18 2:49 p.m.
pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/18/18 4:11 p.m.

I don't remember Highline being that bad in summer.  Have been a couple times around then.  

I don't know if I could handle living in the city, either.  It would definitely drive some changes.  Having a motor vehicle of some sort seems not worth it, and that's kind of a big pill to swallow.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/18/18 4:26 p.m.
alfadriver said:
DrBoost said:

History, shows, food, etc.  We like visiting there....  Would not want to live there, and a friend who has been living there for close to 20 years is planning on retiring to Michigan.

But there's a lot to be seen in New York.  It's just not for the people who despise crowds. 

I just spent 2 hours driving 36 miles!  There's NOTHING to draw me here again. 

For history I have the library and documentaries, for food, there's nothing here I can't get an hour from home.  

Good gawd the place is swarming with people and they want nothing more than to piss you off. 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/18/18 6:39 p.m.
DrBoost said:
alfadriver said:
DrBoost said:

For history I have the library and documentaries, for food, there's nothing here I can't get an hour from home.  

Good gawd the place is swarming with people and they want nothing more than to piss you off. 

36 miles!? That's 18mph! By NYC standards that's warp 11!

But the problem, of course, is that you're trying to drive at all. Cabs, subways, and shoe leather make the city move. And the food, well, if that's your take on it I'd suggest you didn't eat in the right places.

All that said, you couldn't pay me enough to actually live in the city. Having it within day trip distance is a great resource, but living there would be torture.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/18/18 6:45 p.m.
02Pilot said:
DrBoost said:
alfadriver said:
DrBoost said:

36 miles!? That's 18mph! By NYC standards that's warp 11!

But the problem, of course, is that you're trying to drive at all. Cabs, subways, and shoe leather make the city move. And the food, well, if that's your take on it I'd suggest you didn't eat in the right places.

All that said, you couldn't pay me enough to actually live in the city. Having it within day trip distance is a great resource, but living there would be torture.

I just double checked with google maps. It was only 20 miles. That's 10 mph average. That's criminal. And about 80% of that time was spent on maybe 30% of the drive  

And as far as food, I've been to that armpit more than a few times for work. I've had some good food, but I've also had great food in Clear Lake IA, and nobody in Iowa cut me off. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/18 7:13 p.m.

I would certainly never discourage anyone from coming and visiting, but as 02Pilot getting in and out of LGA is a major project and thinking about getting from the airport to Manhattan and back with two small kids and then driving to Rhode Island sounds exhausting.  Mailing your luggage sounds like it would be a big help.  You can also check bags for the day with Amtrak in Penn Station though that's a bit pricey at $10 a bag for ticket holders and $20 for non ticket holders. I've done both Amtrak and buses to Boston and they aren't a bad ride but the train tickets are getting a bit pricey.

If you do rent a car instead of leaving it at the airport I'd load it up and park it in a garage in Manhattan.  It's probably no more expensive and will save you a second ride back out of your way.  If you stay until after the evening rush driving out of the city is really no worse than leaving from LGA.  Park in one of the many garages in the Battery Park area and you can walk to the Staten Island Ferry, 9/11 Memorial, and a number of other attractions in the area. Unless you get here early I'd skip the actual boat to the Statue and Ellis Island as the security lines get long fast in the nice weather.  Also for the love of God do not buy boat tickets from peddlers on the sidewalks there.  Their boats do not go to the statue just around it but by the time you find out they're long gone.  I would skip the Highline and probably Central Park as well since they will eat up a lot of time from what will already be a long day.  I wouldn't make a point of going to Times Square to walk around and check out the giant Olive Garden but if you are leaving after dark a slow pass down 7th Ave to see all the lights wouldn't be a bad idea.  

For pizza 02Pilot is right again.  There is no way to sell pizza in Manhattan for a dollar a slice.  It looks pizza like but it is not pizza. When I become benevolent dictator these people will be the first to be rounded up and jailed.  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/18 7:19 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I've asked around, everyone is fairly indifferent.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/18/18 8:18 p.m.
DrBoost said:
alfadriver said:
DrBoost said:

If you can see everything at the libraries and documentaries, why travel anywhere?  Especially if you are happy with food within an hour of home.  There's no reason to ever leave for anything.  It's pointless.

I've never driven in New York- always leave that to a train or someone else.  if you made that mistake, well...  you have to be honest to say you are not surprised by it.  

What a great way to spend some vacation time, being miserable an all.... ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ebWlLC4RihUegl9KlZwBzdPP1P77TORPxh8WmhuHT5YK1joW2G3RuGAIZuF52yUr