tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
2/3/14 9:02 a.m.

Folks,

As some of you have read here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/hybrid-rc-car-build-thread/78255/page1/ I have been working on a RC car project for the Tunakids. I am having a bit of trouble figuring out what batteries and charger I should be looking at.

I have had a number of extremely generous donations from several folks on board, and I now have a Victor HI-IQ Jr as well as a CompetitionX Indi 16x2 pro. Both fabulous chargers.

The problem is that, apparently, the worls has moved on from NiCads. So I have some decision making to do. Do I stock on on the Ni-Cads I have left and use these excellent chargers I have now? Do I figure out a way to make either charger charge NiMH? Is the increased run time and longevity enough to make me get LiPo?

Basically, for a bunch of kids who are bashing and not going to 'get' things like 'this pack can only be used once today' or things like that, is it worth the expense or getting a new chemistry despite having to also buy a charger to support it?

Do NiMH and LiPo packs require similar complicated chargers from the NiCad days, or is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Universal-Smart-Charger-Battery/dp/B003MXMJX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391439623&sr=8-1&keywords=RC+charger

Truly going to work? I really have been out for so long that I have no reference point. I'm not throwing brushless stuff on this car, they're not entering races (yet) but I don't want to have a battery that lasts 4 minutes, takes an hour to charge, and can only be used once per day, either.

What say ye?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/14 9:11 a.m.

I would try research to determine if your chargers can do both nicad and NiMh packs. Back about 10-15 years ago when I was flying on NiMh I know my charger would do both. If yours can't just stick to nicad and get/make a boatload of packs. Lipos give a ton more run time, but you will be shopping for a new charger and a power supply. Use what is free (or almost free) for now.

blackzx3_13
blackzx3_13 New Reader
2/3/14 9:17 a.m.

NiMH and NiCad are really similar. They can usually use the same charger, and these chargers are usually available for pretty cheap. NiMH packs do not develop a memory as much as a NiCad battery, but this can still happen. When you go Lipo is when you have to have a specific charger. Lipos take some pretty detailed care. They cannot be over charged or over discharged or they will fail spectacularly (youtube it). To run lipos in your car, you need to make sure the ESC has low voltage detection so you do not over discharge the packs.

For a bunch of bashing kids, I would recommend a high capacity NiMH pack. They aren't as finicky as NiCad batteries and do not require the special care a lipo does.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
2/3/14 9:29 a.m.

NiCad and NiMh are charged on the same chargers. If you're looking at LiPo, you're looking at other investments other than the charger. The ESC needs to be LiPo specific, too. It needs to shut off the voltage before the battery thermals. I also highly reccomend a kevlar charging bag.

I'm not familiar with the chargers you got for free, but the one you have in the Amazon link would be good for NiMh, but with NiCad you need to discharge the cells after each use to prevent a "memory". This charger doesn't have discharge capabilities and you'll have to do it with a separate piece of equipment that doesn't exist anymore (I've looked). There are plans online to build your own. Requires soldering together a series of tail light bulbs and some rudimentary circuitry.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
2/3/14 9:30 a.m.

damn I type slow. . .

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
2/3/14 2:19 p.m.

LiPos the way to go. Yes the investment can be pricey. But I'd go used (locally) on the ESC and motor. There are deals out there. Batteries, I'd go new, but online retailers are competitive.

The performance of LiPos will blow you away. Gear it for stupid fast speed or gear it for a hour of run time.

Here's some batteries

LiPo charger

Bunch of stuff

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/14 2:23 p.m.

Yeah NiCad/NiMH are severely outdated in terms of performance...but I don't think you should go out of your way to get LiPo for a kid-bashed car. LiPos carry a meaningful fire risk as well. I had lots of fun with a NiCad-powered car as a kid. And you can get extra battery packs much cheaper than LiPos.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
2/3/14 2:29 p.m.

BTW, there are armored LiPo packs that reduce the fire risks.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/3/14 2:38 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: BTW, there are armored LiPo packs that reduce the fire risks.

LOL!

I would not get my kids LiPo's.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/3/14 3:16 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Yeah NiCad/NiMH are severely outdated in terms of performance...but I don't think you should go out of your way to get LiPo for a kid-bashed car. LiPos carry a meaningful fire risk as well. I had lots of fun with a NiCad-powered car as a kid. And you can get extra battery packs much cheaper than LiPos.

Way to make a guy feel old. I got out of R/C about the time the black Sanyo SCR-E's came out; the long run time of an E pack combined with the voltage delivery of an SCR.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sZDjghZEBrxVOPbCoaYuYlAMPxLgREqSAJT6hGdeczcp0MVhnO79Q90csJf5nwk2