1 2
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/4/08 8:17 a.m.

Security theater. I love it!

My brother is a pilot. He can point out at least 20 ways to get around security in an airport.

The "security" in place is a joke. Course, it gets people used to being surveilled, harassed, and accustomed to submitting to any authority request no matter how ridiculous.

Cheney / Stalin in 08! "It's not fascism when we do it!"

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 8:25 a.m.
Gearhead_42 wrote: Just imagine if he had a Prince Albert... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24576641/

This is just disturbing, Wasn't see worried about possible corrosion

a 45-year-old mom whose brand new nipple rings set off a detector during a visit to a water park with her daughter.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/08 8:39 a.m.

I can't really travel to the US anymore. I'll probably get that bloody SSSS code again (oh it's random, sure), I can't carry any laptops anymore if I want to keep my unencrypted data, and if I didn't look middle-eastern enough in person, my new Canadian passport will seal the deal. Luckily that passport gets me around the fingerprinting (last time I checked).

Tip: If you're forced to be fingerprinted, grease up your finger real good, it will greatly reduce the quality of the print (for now). All-natural face grease works well. Also touch the pad as lightly as possible, the harder you press, the better the print.

Depends on if they check the print quality though.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 9:37 a.m.

It's absolutely random. And after being searched on all four of the planes I took on my honeymoon I joked to the TSA lady that maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. She looked up and said "We don't sell them here" and went on searching my bags.

Oddly while she was going through my camera bag she took out the swiss army knife I forgot was in there, held it in one hand while she rifled through the rest of the stuff, and dropped it back in without a thought. This was Sept of 02 while paranioa was still running high. For a moment I thought of taking over the plane and going somewhere better than Disney.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/4/08 10:22 a.m.
Wally wrote: It's absolutely random. And after being searched on all four of the planes I took on my honeymoon I joked to the TSA lady that maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Not entirely... If you book, change flights or destinations within 24 hours of takeoff your odds of getting the "SSSS" go up dramatically... like to almost 100%

What's funny is that ticket agents are allowed to cross that off with a "code" that changes daily...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/4/08 11:47 a.m.
Gearhead_42 wrote: What's funny is that ticket agents are allowed to cross that off with a "code" that changes daily...

Of course! They have to have a way to treat VIP's in the manner to which they're accustomed! Use your imagination to gin up that list...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/4/08 2:35 p.m.

I remember going to New York a couple of years ago and getting searched twice on the way there. They searched me both getting on the first plane and before getting on the second plane after our layover. I'm still trying to figure out how I could have gotten something that would warrant a search without leaving the "secure area" after security.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/4/08 2:41 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I remember going to New York a couple of years ago and getting searched twice on the way there. They searched me both getting on the first plane and before getting on the second plane after our layover. I'm still trying to figure out how I could have gotten something that would warrant a search without leaving the "secure area" after security.

I still wonder if that would be better than DRIVING to NY. I berkeleying hate the turnpike. A lot. Like, why should the guy on the Rascal scooter be able to beat me from one toll booth to another?? And why does a few tiny little raindrops cause people to drive off the berkeleying road so often that there's LITERALLY an accident ever 1/4 mile!?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/4/08 7:00 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Cheney / Stalin in 08! "It's not fascism when we do it!"

I'm in NH for business right now and their tagline on the lisc. plates is pretty compelling.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/4/08 7:21 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Course, it gets people used to being surveilled, harassed, and accustomed to submitting to any authority request no matter how ridiculous. "

☼ NOW you're onto something. ☼

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5rgFWAVqgnqvrnJ2tNBpHATrtmFTpY4i8mrXQ3xuUptmcl5sDMzRf3D6l1HbQVrY