1 2
cwh
cwh PowerDork
11/22/16 8:20 p.m.

We have moved to a new place. We don't have any family or friends here yet. But, we have found a real butcher shop. So, We are having a thanksgiving dinner for just the two of us of filet mingon wrapped in bacon. With real good home made biscuits and veggies. No complaints here at all. How about the rest of you?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/16 8:31 p.m.

Crab legs and lobster tails here in landlocked Colorado!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/22/16 8:32 p.m.

The outlaws have come to dine at my suggestion to avoid driving 12 hours to Detroit with our dogs. First chance to do Turkey my way in over 17 years. Currently brining in the fridge.

BTW, bone of contention with my wife is thanksgiving dinner time. I grew up having dinner at 2. Her family usually 6 or 7 pm. Is that a Midwest thing?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/16 8:34 p.m.

We are headed to my parents house. We'll bake a turkey, fry a turkey, eat a pile of other things and hang out. It will be a great weekend.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/16 8:57 p.m.

Mom is out of town, sister is going to her husband's family (who I don't really know), my grandmother is out town, my dad doesn't give two E36 M3s about Turkey day, my roommate and best friend has no other family besides me and my mom and dad.

And my roommate is a professional chef.

So I suspect we will just sit around the house getting sloppy on wine cooking up a meal that would make most jealous. We haven't decided what yet though. We decided a big turkey would be too much work and too much food for the two of us.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/22/16 9:00 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Get a breast. And maybe a leg. Should be enough for two. Lots you can do with just that.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/16 9:16 p.m.

We're heading to see my brother and his family. His wife's Thanksgiving dinners are worthy of the two vacation days that it will cost me.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
11/22/16 9:30 p.m.

Wife decided we needed to invite the family. So im making a ham, a turkey breast, crockpot mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, corn, dinner rolls,deviled eggs and some peanut butter cookies. I already hate this holiday!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/22/16 10:23 p.m.

It was decided at the last minute were eating out. Reservations at the yachtsman in wdw yacht club.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/22/16 10:32 p.m.

I saw a Boston Market around here somewhere recently so that may be my landing spot. Or maybe a bar assuming one is open. Hopefully this weirdo area has Uber.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/22/16 10:40 p.m.

Wife's family in Michigan. Usually an ungodly huge overcooked bird, and they do it at folding tables in a garage therefore guaranteeing pretty much anything is cold by the time it gets to my plate. They have weird traditions, like cole slaw and orange jello with shredded carrots and pineapple in it. WTF? Also they are weird and eat "dinner" at 1. That's barely lunch time, and I always get hungry around 7 again while driving back to ohio and end up with gas station pizza or some other such nonsense. Mmmmmmmm, speedway pizza.

I'm making pumpkin and apple pies tomorrow, have the pumpkins ready to bake and scoop out in the morning after the kids and i take food to the hunger center. Driving up after she gets home from work, dropping off dog at my mom's, and got a hotel with a pool.

wae
wae Dork
11/22/16 10:53 p.m.

Dinner at mom's with most of the family.

It'll really be an all-day affair with Dad frying up some of his homemade goetta around noon or so and then we'll blare Alice's Restaurant while we prep The Feast. I've got a 25 pound fresh torkey in the fridge downstairs that I'll dump in a brine tomorrow afternoon and my wife is making the pumpkin pie. I just finished making a couple batches of Bourbon slush and have those in the freezer now. My sister is going to steam a couple lobsters, my brother will probably sou vide something, and my sister-in-law is baking a few loaves of bread. Dad's on the hook for mashing the taters. Mom says dinner is at 1500, but that usually translates to about 1700. By 1300 at the latest, we'll all be pretty much sloppy on Bourbon slush, wine, and beer, so food prep can be a bit of a dicey operation.

On Saturday, the Amazon Prime boxes start showing up and it's a pretty good bet that my wife will have no memory whatsoever of what she asked them to stuff in those cartons before they handed them off to UPS.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
11/22/16 11:17 p.m.

Thursday will be with my parents where I will smoke a turkey. Saturday will be with the in-laws for Ham, apparently. Both families are about an hour away from us... but in opposite directions.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/16 11:25 p.m.

Between my wife's school schedule and my new job we can't really go out of town, so we'll just make a nice and simple meal this year. Wife's not big on turkey so we don't usually cook a bird, but I'm pretty sure there'll be some turkey meat on the table...

Normally we'd go see the in-laws in Florida (and hit up the Daytona Turkey Run at the speedway). That's usually a feast with food and hangovers of epic proportions...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/22/16 11:46 p.m.

At last count we will have 24-27 people and 1-5 dogs, and 2-3 cats at my aunt and uncles depending on if someone is out of the loony bin or if someone else hasn't had a baby yet. It's about a 3.5 hour car ride and I'm hoping t doesn't take longer.

I'll be bringing whiskey. And beer. It should be an awesome time. Only thing that will make it better is if we are able to adopt two dogs on the trip, which means that we need to hear from the rescue agency that is performing the house check (different than where we are adopting from)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/23/16 12:23 a.m.

We left Chicago to visit my son in SoCal - dinner is Wednesday at our Airbnb house and Thursday will be at Disney's California Adventure all day.

No family drama is really nice this year.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
11/23/16 3:15 a.m.

Going to the in laws, always a big spread and always great. My biggest problem is, they eat at 12:30. In my family it was always 4-4:30. Which was perfect, in the 6 years we've been married, I still never get used to it.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
11/23/16 5:42 a.m.

Just me and the wife. She bought a pre-cooked half of a turkey breast and will do up her own stuffing. Yum. Relatives are all too far away and I am NOT traveling on the busiest travel day of the year.

One of the perks of working in a federally regulated institution is getting all the holidays. The downside is friday after Thanksgiving isn't one. Well, the other downside is Elizabeth Warren and her CFPB, but that may be going away. Was that a flounder?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/23/16 7:58 a.m.

It's our turn to have our son and daughter in law for Thanksgiving, last year they were here for Christmas.

Trish and I, Ian & Kim, mother in law and a friend of hers who is alone for Thanksgiving. 18lb. bird, I make traditional stuffing, Trish makes some crazy Canadian stuffing with meat and potatoes in it, homemade cran sause, bisquits, blah blah blah.

Trish makes a nice apple pie! No top, when it's half way cooked, pour over some heavy cream with an egg yolk beat into it, makes a custard like glue that slips down around the slices.

Happy Thanksgiving folks and think of those that can't be with us.

Dan

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
11/23/16 8:04 a.m.

We did the full turkey on Sunday. My wife and kids are going to see her family. I am going to northern Michigan with friends to hang out and deer hunt. I am going to roast a duck in front of the fire.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/23/16 8:24 a.m.

TigerMom and I will be blissfully kid free Thursday. We are going to a friends' house who does a big meal (about 20-25 friends and family), my only responsibility is deviled eggs (my specialty) and a big bottle of wine. It will be positively delightful.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/16 8:33 a.m.

The baby is going back to her mom's around noon.my mom is going to her sisters, who I despise, so I'm spending most of the day alone. I've got a duck thawed out that I'll be roasting in the oven, and probably going to make a pumpkin pie after work tonight.

Not bad for someone who hates holidays. But it's the collections I'll be doing Friday/Saturday that make it worth it. Looking like I should have 6 turkey carcasses to make stock with this year.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
11/23/16 9:00 a.m.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/23/16 9:03 a.m.

Scratch that, taking the train to NYC, planning on Ukrainian food for dinner.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
11/23/16 9:25 a.m.

Skyline dip, left over chicken n noodles, pretzels and cheese, frozen taquitos, whatever other junk food I'm forgetting I bought last weekend. Served warm over Netflix and Star Wars, with a side of pitbull on couch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RFCLhwTmoOIBfDYHcNLNoQmrd6TTgoJeI7KDWarEFLdMvmoHj6TKvN0INgRNWEZX