VTAK kicked in, yo!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/2/11 3:12 p.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/11 7:18 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C:

I just want to know when I can move in? There is probably room for a family 4 in there

GetCarly
GetCarly New Reader
2/3/11 9:49 a.m.

How about twin enduro kart motors? 140 mph, an inch off the ground -- pretty intense. Can you think of any interesting modifications one could put on a karting motor to get an extra edge ? I'm working on a karting multi-media project (www.getcarly.com) and would love to get the latest and greatest concepts/modifications for karts.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/3/11 10:17 a.m.
Jay wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C:
a two-stroke turbocharged low-speed diesel engine designed by the Finnish manufacturer Wärtsilä. It is currently considered the largest reciprocating engine in the world, designed for large container ships, running on heavy fuel oil. It stands at (13.5 metres (44 ft)) high, is 27.3 m (90 ft) long, and weighs over 2300 tonnes in its largest 14-cylinder version — producing 109,000 brake horsepower (80,08 MW).
(Yeha22 already beat me to the SJ...)
How can this happen???

With such a smooth bend in the connecting rod, I 'd say it had some kind of hydraulic lock from coolant breach or stuck open fuel injector. Seen this before on large marine diesels--not this large, but, I'd bet money on hydraulic lock

Jay
Jay Dork
2/3/11 10:28 a.m.
triumph5 wrote: With such a smooth bend in the connecting rod, I 'd say it had some kind of hydraulic lock from coolant breach or stuck open fuel injector. Seen this before on large marine diesels--not this large, but, I'd bet money on hydraulic lock

Yeah, that was my initial idea, but geez! Look at the thickness of the metal that had to bend to make that shape. I would have thought it would fracture or warp in some way that looks a bit nastier than what you see here. If I didn't know better I'd almost say that looks like it was deliberately made like that as a sculpture.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the kind of crazy motion and pressures that had to go on within the cylinder for that to happen... I'm guessing these engines don't exactly run very hot either.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/3/11 10:52 a.m.

The fact that it didn't fracture leads me to believe it was twisted "relatively" slowly, and hydraulic lock will do that. Usually done on or right after start up, so you don't have the violent-metal-shattering damage you see when it happens to a engine at full chat. I pulled a rod out of a Detroit Diesel that looked as artfully curved, but not broken. And it was from hydraulic lock (wet exhaust backed up into the cylinder through an open exhaust valve) I'd like to see if the cylinder head cracked, or, blew. I suspect this engine has dual or individual cylinder heads just in case something like this happens.

That connecting rod would make a great lawn ornament!

mad_machine
2/3/11 11:13 a.m.

you also have to remember the extreme slow speeds of those huge diesels.. most of them probably redline around 600rpm

imirk
imirk New Reader
2/3/11 11:51 a.m.
triumph5 wrote: That connecting rod would make a great lawn ornament!

I think my neighbors would be pretty pissed about this.

Also I would not want to see the shipping bill.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/3/11 2:41 p.m.
GetCarly wrote: How about twin enduro kart motors? 140 mph, an inch off the ground -- pretty intense. Can you think of any interesting modifications one could put on a karting motor to get an extra edge ? I'm working on a karting multi-media project (www.getcarly.com) and would love to get the latest and greatest concepts/modifications for karts.

I can feel my elbows burning.... 140 MPH without a cage. Wow.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/3/11 2:42 p.m.
imirk wrote:
triumph5 wrote: That connecting rod would make a great lawn ornament!
I think my neighbors would be pretty pissed about this. Also I would not want to see the shipping bill.

My neighbors would just shrug. They are used to my shenanigans.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
2/3/11 2:52 p.m.

Subaru Flat 12

Offenhauser

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/3/11 3:37 p.m.

Old Offy= Art. What were the specs on those?

mad_machine
2/3/11 4:32 p.m.

yes.. I would love an old offy. Somebody needs to drop one into a locost

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
2/3/11 9:29 p.m.

I think you have to forfeit the use of the name "Locost" when you start talking about bolting in a vintage offenhauser engine.

Here are some pretty things

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/4/11 10:28 a.m.

What I find most amazing about a turbo 4 offy is the cylinder head is cast into the block. No seperate head. I remember walking through a warehouse about 4 years after they fell out of favor at Indy, and there were dozens and dozens of blocks, cranks, complete engines sitting on the shelves collecting dust. I've often wondered what happened to them

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
2/4/11 12:03 p.m.
cwh wrote: Old Offy= Art. What were the specs on those?

A 251.92 cubic inch (4,128.29 cm³) twin-cam four-cylinder racing Offy with a 15:1 compression ratio and a 4.28125 x 4.375-inch (111.1 mm) bore and stroke, could produce 420 horsepower (313 kW) at 6,600 rpm; 1.77 horsepower (1.32 kW) per cubic inch (81 kW/L). Other variants of the engine produced up to 3 horsepower (2.2 kW) per cubic inch (137 kW/L).

Before turbo boost limits, over 1,000 bhp (750 kW) could be attained using around 120 in Hg (44.3 psi) pressure. The final 2.65 litre 4 cyl Offy, restricted to 80 in Hg (24.6 psi) turbo pressure, gave 770 bhp (570 kW) at 9,000 rpm.

mad_machine
2/4/11 12:05 p.m.

nice.. no headgasket to let go..

must have been hell to machine

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
2/4/11 12:13 p.m.

There are trap doors in the sides of the block for access. It's great engineering.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
2/4/11 8:44 p.m.

Gold plated turbo 4-rotor...

Conquest351
Conquest351 New Reader
2/4/11 8:44 p.m.

Not so much for all the gold, but the engine is friggin beautiful!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/11 11:36 p.m.

I'm surprised it took 6 pages to get a picture of an Offenhauser in this thread, they are truly gorgeous engines, and it is absolutely incredible what they could accomplish with what was effectively an evolution of a nineteen-teens design. 1K horsepower at nearly 50 pounds of boost on a basic architecture that appeared before WWI? that's a strong design

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q10xKlDhPLygNpHQqADG4cNZbw6SYfVSZN4GbKczTOChbSz5JdGpklbjvB3BVOf9