Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/09 9:46 p.m.

Russ is a local racer with a smooth, fast style, a modified STi and about 6 of the nicest kids in the world. They're his pit crew and range in age from 19 to about 8-ish. It's the coolest thing to see the whole family pile out of the support van and start working on his Scooby. The two oldest boys found an engineless Miata and turned it into a ratty but functional autocross/track car so they can learn to drive well.

Well, it's pinewood derby season, and Russ just sent me the pictures of the car he and his son Scotty built. I'm blown away - not just at the quality of the work, but by the fact that a kid thought the car was cool enough to do this. The car was built in just a few days, and I had no idea.

Even the little Nuerburgring sticker under the driver's taillight is there!

Christian is on the left, holding his 1938 Auto Union streamliner that won first in Design and was also the fastest car in his class. That's Russ in the middle, and Scotty is holding the Locost. He came in first in Design as well, but third in speed. That's the aerodynamic penalty of a Locost, I'm afraid. I think he'd do better if he found a course that has more corners and fewer straights.

mtn
mtn Dork
2/22/09 10:08 p.m.

way cool. When I go home, I'm going to take pictures of all of my Derby cars. I unfortunately think that the blue-prints (drawn by dad, very similar to those above) are all long gone, but the cars are on display in a china-cabinet.

mtn
mtn Dork
2/22/09 10:09 p.m.

What did he use for the flares? It looks like half of a gatorade cap.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/22/09 10:09 p.m.

That's pretty cool. You have done cool enough things to earn a fair amount of internet fame, I'm glad you actually get to enjoy the human side as well.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
2/22/09 10:14 p.m.

Absolutely beautiful! You should be honored! Pinewood derby is always fun. And to have someone model your car ... nice! I was always glad to see something besides the standard wedges, store-bought Indy bodies, and the shapes from some speed secrets book.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/23/09 1:50 a.m.

Man, back in the day, my whole year revolved around the derby. That LoCost is flat rad.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/23/09 7:14 a.m.

that thing is pretty sweet. I would love to have a model Locost.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
2/23/09 7:34 a.m.

Those are some sweet rides. I'm glad that there efort paid off for them.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/09 7:37 a.m.

When you were presented with the little shrine did you blame some pinewood sawdust for the fluid leaking out of your eye?

Kids and pets man. Get me every time. You cranky bastards make me so mad I could spit.

That is way cool. The Autounion car looks great. Their Dad sounds like a good one.

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/23/09 9:23 a.m.

That is really cool, Keith!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/23/09 9:31 a.m.

Two things:

1) i JUST won the Auto Union Streamliner in GT4. AWESOME.

2) I have those "Handling by Lotus" stickers on my Celica for giggles. Got them off a Stylus. The stickers get a LOT of attention whenever i'm out at a cruise-in or at any event. Worth their weight in gold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oH59eTCOUm2lkEiN2YEy0d6Ms2UdSfT0lO6Mwb8E2bbQCNprQIt2OYe5XcBOe6h1