1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 8:22 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
11GTCS said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Does your boat live in the water?  Ultraclyde says he uses 4200 below the waterline on his trailer boat. If you’re just sealing around the bolts I think you’re good regardless.  

Nope, she's on a trailer 99.9999% of the time

I'll order some 4200 then

4200 does work great.  I had an old 1958 aluminum boat that I beat for years and the rivets at the bottom of the transom started to leak.  Since I was about 13 at the time I sealed them up with plain clear silicone and they never leaked again.  My nephew has the boat now and they still don't leak.  Silicone isn't really the answer, but it works in a pinch.  Just don't ever expect to get paint or gelcoat to stick to that spot again.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 7:10 p.m.

well, after over a year since I bought them, I finally get to bring my new (to me) sailboat and trailer home.  Waited over a month to get the appointment at the DMV, drove over an hour to get there, and paid $385 in tax and registration fees.  Tomorrow the boat comes home and I can start cleaning her up.  If I get any sort of hours at work, I can actually think about putting her in the water.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
5/10/21 8:31 p.m.

This is our 1981-ish StarCraft SS 16 (or 18?...I can't ever remember).  It has a Mercruiser 120 Inboard/Outboard (which is an old GM 4 cylinder...started life in the Nova, I believe).  Thus far we have used it exclusively for pleasure cruising on the Missouri River (not something very many people actually do here).  

Coincidentally, I just renewed the registration on it today.  I did not get it out at all last year.  Kids are off doing their own things and for whatever reason I just didn't get it out.  I hope to get it out a few times this year.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 10:31 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

The 3.0L was technically a Pontiac design based on their early 2.5L.  It was in reality a Chevy engine, but designed and engineered by Pontiac Canada for the Nova and Pontiac Acadian.  Not the iron duke 151ci, this was a clean-slate 153ci (3-9/16 bore, 3.25 stroke) first used in 1962 Chevy IIs.  GM Brasil re-tweaked it with a shorter 3" stroke and larger 4" bore for a similar 2.5L in the hopes of getting fewer vibes from it.  

GM then started producing the 3.0L version for marine applications by using the Brasilian 4" bore and a 3.6" stroke.

The 2.5L 153ci was used in Brasilian Chevy Opalas until 1992.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/21 11:39 p.m.

Vintage boats can be pretty cool. No, this is NOT mine.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
5/31/21 7:27 a.m.

Water was rough but I did have a chance to try mine out. Need some fine tuning, but we'll get there. Didn't bring a gps but I was probably traveling in the low 50mph range when the photo was taken. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/31/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Just found out that my brother-in-law has his dad's hydroplane.

His dad got out of the Navy and bought the boat, bought a brand new 25HP Evinrude for it, took it out on Lake Erie and hit some bad chop.  Flew up into the air, nose dived into the lake, when he came up the motor was no longer attached.  Said he made payments for another 3-4 years for that single boat ride.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
6/1/21 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That would suck. 

Brett_Murphy
6/7/21 12:19 a.m.

I worked on my boat a bit today. Nothing radical, just maintenance since it hasn't been on the water in a solid year.

I know that the Honda BP130 I have on it uses a block much like the 2.4 in the Accord and Odyssey. I'm wondering how close I could get it to 150 HP.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/21 9:53 a.m.

I made some progress on mine. The engine is very close to going in. 

20210606_145418.jpg

Brett_Murphy
6/7/21 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/24/21 2:30 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/24/21 2:30 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/24/21 2:31 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/24/21 2:32 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/24/21 2:36 p.m.

Top picture, bought a boat.

1998 Bayliner Ciera 2355 $5500 pre covid mark up.

17 hours of polish and wax later we have the third picture.  

Used this guys two step method. 

https://www.sailnet.com/threads/tips-for-compound-polish-wax.52772/

Last pic, learned how to pilot a boat and started having fun.  Kids held at gun point will always smile.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/21 2:40 p.m.

Last fiberglass patch (gods above and below, please let it be the last until I'm ready to do a completely new gelcoat) went on today.  I'll wait till this weekend and then sand it smooth and give it a coat of gelcoat.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/21 2:55 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Top picture, bought a boat.

If this was many other forums, you'd get dragged for getting a Bayliner.

I've got my boat running pretty well at the moment on the earmuffs, and the electronics I *need* are working. I need to get it out on the lake for a sea trial, but the weekends aren't the time to try and do that, and the weather has been wretched on the weekdays I could possibly give it a shot. 

So, in the meantime, I'm in deep cleaning mode in my boat. I've completed the first power washing and now I have to get in there with detergent and brushes and scrub well. Then, another power washing with soap, a rinse and possibly a polishing. 

The seats and vinyl are pretty well shot. For some of the units, I can just order replacements and install them myself, but for the others I'm going to need to get a professional involved locally. I shudder to think what the cost is going to be, especially since the bow cushion is completely gone. 

I need to replace the entertainment radio and I ought to update the VHF radio, too. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/24/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

I know, Bayliner is not the most prestigious brand but it was cheap, came  with everything needed to get on the water.  Knowing me it will be in way better shape when I sell it some day.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/24/21 8:51 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I know, Bayliner is not the most prestigious brand but it was cheap, came  with everything needed to get on the water.  Knowing me it will be in way better shape when I sell it some day.

Hey, screw “prestigious brands”.  devil

You bought it right, cleaned it up and you’re on the water.  That’s a win, well done. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/24/21 8:57 p.m.

Summer starts tomorrow fellas.  11GTCS finally got his E36 M3 together and the Whaler will hit the lake tomorrow morning.  Lots of wax on wax off last weekend, fully detailed full gas tanks and ready to rip... yes I’m a bit excited, the inner 9 year old lives for this E36 M3 but getting further and further from 9.  LOL. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/25/21 5:34 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

That's how I feel.  As explained to SWMBO running this boat for the summer will cost about as much as a week long vacation.  That includes the purchase price of the boat, and we get to keep that part.  The laughing smiling kids part is priceless.

In true GRM fashion I was looking at a SeaRay with a cracked block but the seller didn't respond in a timely fashion and I moved on.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/21 6:27 a.m.

I'm still trying to get the engine 100%. Seems like every time I turn around I have to order something and that adds days to the completion date. It's getting very close though. I hope to get the transmission bolted up and set them this weekend. 

20210621_174322.jpg

I also got most of this mess cleaned up. No after pictures, but all the extraneous hoses, cables, and wires are now strapped in place instead of flopping around in the bilge. 

20210619_092004.jpg

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/21 12:14 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Exactly. If you're able to enjoy it, it doesn't matter what brand is on the side, especially if the money you saved on the boat lets you buy more gasoline to be on the water.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/25/21 12:23 p.m.

I’m going to remove the emblems, decals and add box flares so people will think it’s an AMG.

We have had it out a handful of times, my wife keeps asking how much gas is uses.  The gauge is just starting to drop off of full.  Stupid slow motor but it gets the job done, it’s a 305 Chevy two barrel.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nbYxpSu2kQRVn0pzlRZ8HujOF0k3mY96FE7JvN7QpfkKRsa6cPpsDQZVoYFVAJB1