1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/9/21 9:19 a.m.

I can't see it being dry enough to create an issue. If you're really worried, glue some strips of something that won't create static to the bottom of the gas tanks where you'll be sliding it. Wood? Maybe just some heavy duty canvas? Or even better, put wheels on it. 

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
7/9/21 9:25 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

In reply to 67LS1 :

That's a pretty baby! Love the photo with the palm trees in the background, SoCal at its finest. What's the story behind the name?

Also...You guys are going to make me call the guy, aren't you?

We're actually in Nor Cal. The California delta starts at the San Francisco Bay and goes inland as far as Sacramento and Stockton.

I was actually standing in the cockpit BBQing when my daughter took that picture from the dinghy. She digitally removed me and the BBQ and rebuilt the blank sections of the photo. She does animation for a living.

LATIS is a Celtic goddess of water and mead (beer).

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
7/9/21 10:01 a.m.

I would never buy a boat without checking the hull with a moisture meter. Even small boats kept indoors on trailers can rot from the water that gets trapped in the foam. Replacing stringers and transoms can cost 10's of thousands unless you doing yourself. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
7/9/21 10:40 a.m.
mtn said:

I can't see it being dry enough to create an issue. If you're really worried, glue some strips of something that won't create static to the bottom of the gas tanks where you'll be sliding it. Wood? Maybe just some heavy duty canvas? Or even better, put wheels on it. 

Not enough space for much. It's a cubby under the splash well. With two tanks and a battery box it's wedged tight. I'm probably worrying too much. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/21 12:25 a.m.

I may call up Key West and ask them what the heaviest engine I can hang on the back is. The 130 just doesn't get the boat on plane fast enough. I'm wondering if the prop pitch is designed for efficiency or something. Since I'm staying inshore/nearshore, efficiency isn't my primary goal.

7/18/21 12:30 a.m.
ultraclyde said:
mtn said:

Not enough space for much. It's a cubby under the splash well. With two tanks and a battery box it's wedged tight. I'm probably worrying too much. 

For a semi-permanent solution, rub the heck out of it with surfboard or ski wax?

Just wet the surface before you slide things around?

7/19/21 12:07 p.m.

I decided to do a minimal bit of research instead of just half-assed thinking about things. It looks like my 130 weighs the same as some more modern 150-200 motors, and the boat is rated for up to 200 HP.

I think one big gain I can get without a repower is to move the batteries from the back of the boat towards the middle more. Given how things are put together, that's a non-trivial operation, though.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
7/19/21 12:39 p.m.

That generation of Honda 130 was particularly heavy for the power, so that makes sense with most of the new 150/175s being a 4 cyl too.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/19/21 12:51 p.m.

The Mercury, Yamaha, and Suzuki 200's will probably be lighter than that Honda 130. The Honda/Tohatsu 200 options will be within 30 pounds of it, I'd guess. Not sure why Honda is still so heavy.

Also, for those keeping score at home: 

Mercury under 40hp (or is it 25?) is made by Tohatsu

Tohatsu over 60 is made by Honda

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
9/14/21 4:30 p.m.

I got my '81 Starcraft SuperSport 16' out last night on the Missouri River.  What a wonderful way to spend an evening.  Here we are beached on a little sandbar known locally as California Island.

9/14/21 11:00 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

What a wonderful way to spend an evening.  

I concur!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/9/21 3:17 p.m.

Another Starcraft landing at Clem's Home Port.  I added this one to my collection:

That photo was in Iowa yesterday as I departed a little berg on the banks of the Nishnabotna River within the Missouri River bottoms about 4 1/2 hours from home.  That's where I bought the boat.  I'm tickled every time I have occasion to cross the Nishnabotna River because of this song by arguably the best performing artist of all time.  If I decide to give this boat a name, it may very well be Nishnabotna.

It was at another little berg in Missouri, about an hour from home, on the banks of the Missouri that I slowed for the blinking red light in town and heard a disconcerting squeal of which I was obviously the source.  I got out and did a walk-around and found this on the right side.

The outer bearing had disassembled itself, tried to weld its inner race portion to the spindle, tried its hand at some rudimentary machining operations, and generally just made a mess of things.

Ooops.  The boat got to spend the night in that town while I went home and gathered tools and bearings to fix it.

This afternoon, it arrived safely at home.

I believe what we have here is a 1986 Starcraft Islander 19' ("191" in starcraft vernacular, I infer) with an OMC 120 Cobra outdrive.  (The same 2.5 GM 4 cylinder engine that's in my 16' Starcraft).

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/21 4:12 p.m.

I am not at all a fan of the color, but by gods I love the look of it.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/9/21 4:34 p.m.

I watched this go at auction today for $1450:

https://149481349.v2.pressablecdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/10-09-21IMG_0001-114-scaled.jpg

if I didn't already have the Starcraft... it was a Cobalt 17' with the Mercruiser 4.3 and Alpha outdrive. It was mildewy and had been rained in but looked pretty good actually. I liked the dual swim platforms on the back. I'm not able to have two boats at home right now though. I felt like $1450 was a really good deal given the trailer was in really nice shape. Seems like a decent price just for the tandem trailer w/surge brakes.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/9/21 6:07 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I am not at all a fan of the color, but by gods I love the look of it.

I don't hate the color but it's not one I'd choose.  Buyers can't be choosers with 35 year old Starcrafts, though ;).

I was daydreaming today (I've had lots of time to daydream during the saga that has been getting this home) that a nice machinery gray would look pretty cool.  Might also be known as gunship gray...but I won't be mounting any guns (topsides, anyway).

Mr_Asa
10/9/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Berk yes.  There's a Lonestar with that look that shows up to one of the AOMCI meets I go to, but none of the others.  I love it so much, despite what a trainwreck the boat is.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/10/21 9:06 a.m.
dculberson said:

I watched this go at auction today for $1450:

https://149481349.v2.pressablecdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/10-09-21IMG_0001-114-scaled.jpg...It was mildewy and had been rained in but looked pretty good actually. ... I felt like $1450 was a really good deal given the trailer was in really nice shape. Seems like a decent price just for the tandem trailer w/surge brakes.

I like that boat but the chances it has a rotten transom and floors are so high that it would need to be bought as a drivetrain/trailer donor.  Around here people try to sell boats like this a lot and profess "the trailer is worth the asking price" but the reality of getting rid of a rotten fiberglass boat is a lot of work and eventually I see a lot of "just come drag this off" concessions.  

I obviously don't have knowledge of how bad the boat in question above is...but that's where my thoughts take me.

I have an offer out on an old, rotten, 20' Mark Twain locally.  "If you get to the point you just need someone to make it go away, I'll do that."  Frankly, I'm terrified he's going to take me up on it in a month or two.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/10/21 1:08 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

My wife grew up fishing and boating on her grandpas Mark Twain. Still in the family. Couldn't pay me to take that on though. (well, that's a lie)

Dealing with a non starting issue on a Yamaha Pro 50. Starter clicks once, and that's it. This engine always took a lot of cranking to start, but it would start every time - first crank if you'd let it crank for 10 seconds. 

We launched the boat, and hit the key, and after 5 seconds of cranking it stopped. Switched the batter for the trolling motor battery, same thing. Both batteries had been on a charger for 24 hours and are both good. 

Im guessing the starter is bad. 

Mr_Asa
10/10/21 2:02 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Could also be a solenoid?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/10/21 2:05 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to mtn :

Could also be a solenoid?

Could be... I'm going to let dad worry about it, we are headed out of town today, and have another boat to use in the interim. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/10/21 11:26 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Thank you for making me feel better about not buying it.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/11/21 1:02 p.m.

Lol...anytime?

During the winter time you could spend that much (and probably quite a bit less) on a smoking deal for a smoking outboard for yours and clamp it onto your transom when you're ready for it.  

The functionality of that SuperSport and its open bow are fantastic for family fun.  

I put 8 people in mine a week ago and cruised up the Missouri River.  I don't recommend this...I accidentally overbooked the cruise, but we had a great time.

10/11/21 7:25 p.m.

Latest picture of my boat.

May be an image of body of water and nature

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/11/21 10:58 p.m.

Sign me up...that looks like a slice of heaven.

4/8/22 4:42 p.m.

Boat time is back upon us. I was out giving the boat a once over and I've got a ton of cleaning and some minor repairs to do.

Yay.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NNJ6TXXNXOzAdkdFUOu0OPBX81QVzZD3lGYOzyTk07cOncQGAt1lmEvojJpqibFZ