1 2 3 4
redbonechkn
redbonechkn New Reader
7/14/11 8:32 a.m.
MrMook wrote: Can't wait to find the show online (no TV, so I'll have to wait). I love Adam's podcast, and it's true: he's best when un-scripted. I don't agree with everything he says (he's a dick and he knows it), but c'mon, he loves cars, and he's human. I like that he doesn't know everything. He's just a car guy, and while he knows his stuff, he's still learning (like most of us), and to me that makes his interest in the subject of cars much more genuine than a lot of the more scripted shows (even my beloved UK Top Gear, which is annoyingly scripted at times). Again, haven't seen the show yet, but I gotta stick up for the Ace Man. And where's Professor Ganz? Is he on the show? THAT guy knows his stuff. Next to him, Adam's just the loud obnoxious jerk with an opinion.

I googled watch speedtv online and watched it live last night on the laptop wasn't HD but worked...Ganz should be there no doubt!

Graefin10
Graefin10 Reader
7/14/11 10:10 a.m.

I watched most of it this morning while eating a late breakfast. It was . . . ok. The Lemons part is what got my attention. I'd like to see them take it a little more seriously though and really build the right car that has a chance of winning. Looked like the winner was driving the wheels off of whatever that was.

The segment of the 0-top speed was cool also, but I wish they had taken more time for the other cars. I'd like to be able to see a list of how they fared.

kabel
kabel Dork
7/14/11 10:23 a.m.

it's available to watch on demand at Hulu

IMGT3_Performance
IMGT3_Performance New Reader
7/14/11 10:34 a.m.

Let Matt Farah and Adam Carolla run the show, the NY times editor/car expert is used to having his opinion voiced on everything so that put a little damper on things a little, if he cut back a little bit and let the conversations flow a little more, it will be more entertaining. The segments seemed rushed as well, maybe trim some things back a little and spend more time on a topic (i.e. LeMons) Do the quiz show every other week, you get the idea.

John Salley is a nice guy but I don't know if he fits per say. It is tough to be working with car guys that have opinions on everything and they trip over each others words.

There is potential in this show, just needs to get the kinks out a little bit. Looks like the guys need to just spend some more time together away from the cameras to get a little more chemistry.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha New Reader
7/14/11 10:36 a.m.

So I just watched it this morning... came of like a new show with excellent potential for having legs, but in need of some sorting and tweaking. Give 'em a season and I think they find their stride. I'd tune in again.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/14/11 10:52 a.m.

I didn't care much for it and actually like TG USA better. Salley doesn't seem to fit at all.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
7/14/11 11:00 a.m.

I got to watch about half of the show but liked it enough to try and catch the full episode on Hulu. It did seem too fast-paced as they crammed way too much content into the format. Maybe they were trying to be something to everyone, or were using the first show as a test to find out what the audience really wants to see.

Carolla and Farah were pretty good, Salley needs to talk more and the journalist needs to talk less. And Salley has some car cred (at least with me). When playing at Ga Tech, he was driving a 7-series BMW and came into the store to shop for wheels and tires. It was probably one of the only cars he could fit into.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/14/11 11:00 a.m.

I liked it more than I thought I would. Adam generally just gets under my skin too much, but I had to laugh at the RR-heated seats-massage fart joke.

I think they generally did a better job than TG USA-- not near as strained and not trying to be quite as formulaic. Although three guys doing crazy car stuff and racing a car with a plane sounds very, very familiar.

Agree that Smalley adds nothing. His only contribution was that he said he drove a Toyota Corolla??? This is a car guy?

And, no, they shouldn't try to win LeMons. Anyone that does is truly missing the point (and I've driven LeMons AND been an official there). They did a fair job of capturing the LeMons experience, but would have got more if it was less about them and more about the atomosphere. I've had more deep, hysterical, Grand Mal seizure laughing fits at LeMons than at any event of any type anywhere else!

I've got it on the DVR, so far

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/14/11 11:05 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: I liked it more than I thought I would. Adam generally just gets under my skin too much, but I had to laugh at the RR-heated seats-massage fart joke. I think they generally did a better job than TG USA-- not near as strained and not trying to be quite as formulaic. Although three guys doing crazy car stuff and racing a car with a plane sounds very, very familiar. Agree that Smalley adds nothing. His only contribution was that he said he drove a Toyota Corolla??? This is a car guy? And, no, they shouldn't try to win LeMons. Anyone that does is truly missing the point (and I've driven LeMons AND been an official there). They did a fair job of capturing the LeMons experience, but would have got more if it was less about them and more about the atomosphere. I've had more deep, hysterical, Grand Mal seizure laughing fits at LeMons than at any event of any type anywhere else! I've got it on the DVR, so far

Sorry, yes I know it is four guys, but I wasn't counting Smalley because he was a non-entity.

Also meant to say got it on the DVR, so far it is a furlong ahead of TG USA.

kabel
kabel Dork
7/14/11 11:10 a.m.

Wasn't too keen on the car vs plane segment (too TG). One for the Road was a bit harsh... Overall I like it enough to keep watching it.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/14/11 11:18 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: And Salley has some car cred (at least with me). When playing at Ga Tech, he was driving a 7-series BMW and came into the store to shop for wheels and tires. It was probably one of the only cars he could fit into.

On the show, during the Camry 60 second segment, he was defending the Camry saying he owns a Corolla.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
7/14/11 11:34 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
oldsaw wrote: And Salley has some car cred (at least with me). When playing at Ga Tech, he was driving a 7-series BMW and came into the store to shop for wheels and tires. It was probably one of the only cars he could fit into.
On the show, during the Camry 60 second segment, he was defending the Camry saying he owns a Corolla.

Missed that part.

Maybe he owns a Toyota dealership or two............

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
7/14/11 11:47 a.m.

Just watched it on Hulu. I give it a meh . . . but then again I'm really not a Neil or Carolla fan either . . .

Seems like Salley is the 3rd wheel on a blind date . . .

After saying that, I'll watch it again. I'm betting after some tweaks and such it will be entertaining.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
7/14/11 12:17 p.m.

Watched it, liked it, and fell asleep for a while as this starts after my normal bedtime. Need to replace the VCR with one of those DVR things. Did I miss the girls on trampolines segment?

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/14/11 3:16 p.m.

It was good and bad. The script needs to get the axe. The format demands natural conversation. I think it has a huge amount of potential. I found the news section great, the LeMons section great, and the standing mile one good as well... but I think all sections could have been better.

They shouldn't have devoted a single segment to a whole LeMons race, they should have a reoccurring segment where they show the LeMons car being built.

That sports guy (sorry, I don't follow schportz) needs to be replaced by someone who either races or wrenches a lot.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
7/14/11 3:26 p.m.

I agree that Corolla needs to be a bit more free form. He seemed almost a bit stiff.

Ganz is very knowledgeable, but not much of a personality. I suspect he consults for the show, but on camera he would probably be very bad.

Definitely a good start. Hopefully they make some adjustments.

BTW - that show was shot last week (I saw a listing for going to the taping), so they should be able to make changes fairly quickly (of course they did shot 4 or 5).

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
7/14/11 4:19 p.m.

Ugh, terrible.

I wanted to turn it off during the 0-60 segment, but watched the whole thing. I'll take TG USA over this crap any day.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/14/11 7:20 p.m.

I predict that this show will go one of two ways...

It will either attempt to replicate the Top Gears, and fail in a miserable burning pile of wreckage.

Or it will quickly change gears (har har) and become a freeform, fun, interesting, and enthusiast oriented car show that will make history and will never have an equal.

Anyone wanna place bets?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/14/11 7:49 p.m.

That was suckage.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
7/14/11 8:26 p.m.

I just watched it. There were a number of awkward moments but, it was better than the 4th USA TG I saw. If they step back and let the guys have fun we'll see TG USA cancelled next year.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/14/11 8:36 p.m.

I hope not TG USA was ten times better then that pile of garbage.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/14/11 8:47 p.m.

watching it now...so far, meh....I'm not a good source, though, since I'm not a big fan of Adam C.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
7/14/11 10:09 p.m.

Having spent many pubescent nights laughing my ass off at loveline, ive always been an Adam fan. Comparing first shows, this wins out over TG USA. Did those guys get better? Yes, did they suck hard early? You bet.

I think they see off to a great start, ready for next week.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/11 6:16 a.m.

Kudos to the hosts of the show -- my 14 year old got in touch with them via Facebook and offered up our criticisms (see my earlier post); they responded positively to his comments and said they intended to get more car stuff on the air, and to "cull" some of the segments that are wordy.

Promising. I was really impressed with Matt Farah . . .

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/15/11 8:12 a.m.

I guess I'll watch it again, but the whole thing was as contrived as TG for me. Just because the show is about cars does not mean that we should give it a free pass. Better than a pinks all out marathon? Yes. Interesting or funny? Not really. Very derivative. I felt like I had already seen the standing mile story and racing a plane.

Adam doesn't seem all that funny to me and has an unpleasant voice and face. Farah seemed ok to me. Wall St. Journal guy's schtick will get old fast, if it hasn't already. Salley seems like a nice guy, but so are a lot of people.

I rate is above New Jersey Housewives, but below Finding Bigfoot.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QEo4uv5uiQqFGkWeeWvtSFB6EQPdJnoUpjbdJo9P7AQ42tuVQPt7ezIoOteu0bcE