1 2
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
3/19/13 8:17 p.m.
drainoil wrote: As OP said no political diversions here, but what year or time period did Cuba allow Americans to be tourists there? Sorry but I must be behind on my Cuban history/news lol.

Anytime pre-Castro. The US has had an embargo on Cuba for the better part of half a century, I think.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/13 5:05 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: You know you're from the city when... You take pics of A Horse

Ha ha -- we have horses. But what was unusual is that all kinds of animals were grazing in the grass on the side of the road, generally outside of the fenced fields. Quite the contrast to ON.

Powar
Powar Dork
3/20/13 1:47 p.m.

Thanks for sharing your photos and the account of the trip. It looks like a great destination.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
3/20/13 6:00 p.m.

I just got back from Cuba too. Cost was $3600 for all 4 of us. We took the kids. That was March Break pricing which is a huge premium. Easily $1000 cheaper than anywhere else. I booked way back in Sept.

We went to Holguin province which is only about 100 kms from Guantanamo. We were in a little place called Guardalavaca

Rice, pork, chicken and fish are good. Skip the beef. Cubans use very little spice - I would have liked some spices.

Cuban people are very friendly to Canadians, as many of us frequent their country. I was talking to a guy at the airport and he goes for 1 week every month (retired).

Americans can go there - you just have to go through Canada or Mexico.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
3/20/13 6:10 p.m.

That's why I told Zoo to take some Mrs Dash, or some hot sauce. I've heard the food is very bland. Not something you'd expect from island food.

My wife's hobby is travel, and she's a pro at knowing the best times to go somewhere, and finding a deal. If we wanted to go to Cuba, we could probably do it for about $400 pp, or less. I'd like to check it out, but she's already been there, and there are too many other places she wants to see first before she'll go back.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zKW9ox4A8K9owAUcyjhLAVNOwbebuXnwWE9SAyQKNMWLFWLaMvMaCQV747CpBAV3